Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 12:23   #46

Re: Scrapping of Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
Last week, I got my Fiat Palio scrapped in Delhi. Here is what I did -
  1. Contacted a scrap dealer on phone and got an estimate of the scrap value.
  2. Visited him with the car, negotiated and stuck deal at 26.5K
  3. Got the car scrapped in front of my eyes, took some pictures and also the part of chassis which had the chassis number embossed on it.
  4. He further gave me copy of his license and voter id and wrote on it that the car is being purchased from me for purpose of scrapping. I also got the same written on a stamp paper (scrap deal agreement).
  5. Visited the transport authority gave them all above papers, along with registration papers of the car. They gave me a receipt in writing.
I am purchasing a new car and have no claim on my scrapped car for last 3 years. So I will (possibly tomorrow) give the transport authority receipt to my insurance agent, who will then give me no claim certificate. Voila I will save 25% of insurance cost on my new car

Let me know if I can help in any way.(dealer number, paperwork format etc.)
Hi Satish, bumping an old post of yours. Could you pls share the contact details of the scrap dealer in Delhi you went to for the Fiat Palio. I realize you may not have his phone number after all these years, but even a name and address/locality would help immensely.

I have a 1999 Daewoo Nexia that has outlived its maintenance economics and with the new "green" rules of 15yr old vehicles not allowed to ply on the roads anymore, even the little hope I had of procuring a new engine from the defunct Daewoo plant seem a waste. My RWA and local police is starting to object to it being on the road (albeit covered). Seems to be the only route to take - she's been standing unused for over a year now, was offered pocket change by a dealer.

Thanks!
Old 30th March 2015, 12:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atapsall View Post
Hi Satish, bumping an old post of yours. Could you pls share the contact details of the scrap dealer in Delhi you went to for the Fiat Palio. I realize you may not have his phone number after all these years, but even a name and address/locality would help immensely.

I have a 1999 Daewoo Nexia that has outlived its maintenance economics and with the new "green" rules of 15yr old vehicles not allowed to ply on the roads anymore, even the little hope I had of procuring a new engine from the defunct Daewoo plant seem a waste. My RWA and local police is starting to object to it being on the road (albeit covered). Seems to be the only route to take - she's been standing unused for over a year now, was offered pocket change by a dealer.

Thanks!
FYI, the rule has been scrapped.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 13:34   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
FYI, the rule has been scrapped.
Thanks! My bad. I hadn't been paying attention to the latest developments on the Green Tribunal topic. Found the latest news article dated 14-March-2015 for the reference of any others in the dark like me.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...hecks/46561317

I do however still want to atleast weigh all the options. I'd be grateful to anyone for sharing details on scrap dealers they have dealt with in the Delhi NCR area. Thanks!
AJ
Old 9th April 2015, 09:15   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

After the recommendation of banning of 10 year old diesel vehicles in Delhi to contain pollution now comes the next suggestion.

The auto industry has said there is a need to scrap vehicles older than 15 years across the country to tackle air pollution - is the next pitch from Auto manufacturers.

Quote:
Quote:
Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers said the government needs to adopt a policy that would encourage people to voluntarily retire vehicles more than 15 years old
In the US and Europe, those scrapping old vehicles were given cash incentives and tax benefits while buying cars
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...olicy/46850360
Old 16th June 2015, 21:35   #50

This has been a very useful thread !

Guys any recommendation for scrappers in bangalore , probably someone you have dealt with already and found them worthy of referring. ?

I see scrapper on just dial (with fake 5 star feedbacks ) , would prefer a reference before I head over to them.

Thanks,
Puneet
Bangalore
PS: Have an outstation maruti 800 to be scrapped
Old 8th August 2015, 15:18   #51

Hello BHPians. Writing for the first time on this site (my membership got approved very recently). Am new to Bangalore and looking for contact details of Car Scrap dealers in Bangalore.
Basically in search of used door for my Honda City ZX Gxi (mine got rusted badly).. Internet search did not yield any merit (except for OLX and Quickr adds). Some help here for a newbee would be greatly appreciated.

Planning to buy a new car next year and hence not interested in ASC investment.
Old 19th October 2015, 11:37   #52
BHPian

Do we need to pay outstanding road tax when scrapping a car? I have a 97 opel astra which I am looking to trash. The car's wiring is faulty due to rat problem or something and the battery is not getting charged. The car is at workshop for months now and tax is pending from march 2015 onwards. I am planning to sell this car as scrap instead of expensive re-wiring and paying next 5 year tax which alone comes to around 9k. Does this pending tax pose any problem while trying to de-register the car? The workshop guys said they will give any required documents to prove that the car is not in running condition and was with them for long.
Old 15th January 2016, 16:52   #53
BHPian

Resurrecting this discussion.
Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari says that he is preparing a policy for old vehicle scrapping in India.
Info here http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/eco...i_5018061.html

Also, the govt. is considering to provide incentives to people scrapping their old vehicles and buy new ones.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 23:37   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

According to Union Minister Nitin Gadkari, the new vehicle scrapping policy will help boost the entire turnover of the automotive industry to over 4 times of it's present figure in the next five years.

In simple maths, it will amount to a cool 20 lakh crores, or 20 trillion rupees!

The draft of the much-awaited scrapping policy is ready to be put on the public domain website within the next week for approval from stakeholders and the general public, post which it will be put up for the Finance Ministry's approval. Once the FM's office gives it's nod, it will be put up before the cabinet for the final approval before it gets implemented.

Quote:
Automobile industry's turnover, which is about Rs 4.5 lakh crore at present, will touch Rs 20 lakh crore in the next five years with this policy and India can be the "number one country to export the world's best cars", he said.

Giving further thrust to emission control measures, the draft norms for the 'end of life' policy are likely to provide about 50 per cent rebate in excise duty on new vehicles for buyers who surrender their polluting old ones.

The government is also considering giving financial incentives of up to Rs 1.5 lakh on surrender of over-ten-year-old vehicles to check pollution and address road safety concerns, Gadkari had earlier said.

The proposed policy will follow the government's earlier announcement to implement stricter emission norms for vehicles from April 2020 despite the auto industry calling it an "extremely challenging" task.

India plans to leapfrog to stricter emission standards of Bharat Stage-VI fuel specifications, skipping BS-V norms altogether, from April 1, 2020.
ET
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 11:06   #55
BHPian

Has anyone on Team-BHP any experience in scrapping an old car?

I have a 1997 Maruti 800 that is in RTO no-man's land and is gathering dust for the last couple of years. I feel sad just looking at it almost every day.

I can't even dispose of this car as it is MH-01 registered and it needs a physical inspection in Mumbai for issuance of green tax before they will provide an NOC to register in Bangalore. I tried obtaining this NOC a few years ago and gave up.
Old 24th August 2016, 20:40   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

First phase of mandatory scrapping - heavy vehicles which are 15 years old and contribute to nearly 65 percent of all pollution!

Union Minister Nitin Gadkari will also be putting the new proposed policy before a Committee of Secretaries, which aims at making scrapping of all 15-year-old vehicles mandatory.

Quote:
"Finance Minister said that 65 per cent of the pollution is caused by heavy vehicles which have completed 15 years. We will scrap this in the first phase.

He has asked to make the policy for scrapping mandatory and not voluntary. The Finance Minister also said that instead of tax exemptions, provision of funds will be made in the budget

The Finance Minister said if GST Council is formed then tax structure will change. So we will have to take permission from the GST Council. He asked to finalise the policy and Committee of Secretaries will discuss the same. Instead of asking for tax exemption he said he will provide incentive in the budget.

Suppose we give tax exemption for Rs 75,000, they (Finance Ministry) are saying we will give that amount to the person who scraps his vehicle. Don't ask for exemption in tax.
"
Gadkari also elaborated on the combined benefits of the Voluntary Vehicle Fleet Modernisation Programme (V-VMP) policy, claiming:

- an additional net revenue of over Rs 21,000 crores from additional automobile sales,
- crude oil savings of over Rs 7,700 crores due to improved fuel efficiency from the new automobiles sold,
- providing domestic steel scrap worth Rs 5,500 crores, lessening India's dependence on imported scrap to a great extent, and
- aiding in employment generation, for the workforce needed for scrapping/recycling operations and automobile manufacturing.

ET
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 23:03   #57
BHPian

Why don't manufacturers start producing newer engines as spares to old cars?

I would love to add a new K10 into my Old Alto, and maybe refurbish the interiors a bit further, and make a brand new car out of it.

I could guess that a new engine would need to sit on a slightly different platform, slightly different mount points, maybe a wider air dam etc. Safety on an old car, with a more powerful engine also could be a debatable point. But, anyone remembers the power surge the M-800 got, when they switched it to an MPFI engine? The speedo did not go far enough to cover the new speeds. No one complained then.

Scrapping a car that is 15 years old is a very bad idea, if it was done for the sake of the engine alone.
Old car restoration could be a new business in India, if someone could do it right, on a larger scale.
Old 15th October 2016, 08:57   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Germany may bring eco-friendly tech to scrap old vehicles.

Quote:
India has sought advanced environment-friendly technology from Germany to scrap old polluting vehicles and processing the waste generated by it, besides manufacturing cars to run on flex-fuel
Quote:
The proposed Voluntary Vehicle Fleet Modernisation Programme (V-VMP) aims to scrap heavy vehicles that are more than 15 years old in the first phase
The draft V-VMP policy had earlier proposed to bring vehicles bought on or before March 31, 2005, numbering about 28 million, under its purview.

Quote:
Once the policy is finalised, it is estimated to result in domestic steel scrap generation worth Rs 5,500 crore to substitute imported scrap, - that it would create huge employment

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th October 2016 at 09:00.
Old 5th March 2017, 10:38   #59
BHPian

Bumping this thread again. Any details of vehicle scrap merchants in Delhi?

Looking to scrap my 15 year old 200 k plus, Mumbai registered Wagon R.
Old 5th March 2017, 13:29   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Same here. My lancer 2002 model is going to reach the end of its life cycle in June this year. There were these policy announcements last year where they were offering exchange deals against your old cars. Has it materialised yet or it was all just talk and nothing else? Also what kind of a value would a scrap dealer give for Lancer?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks