Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 20:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scrapping of Cars

Hi folks,

I am curious to know what is the way to scrap a car in India? If I own a car that has served its purpose and is no more in running condition and cannot be restored within a reasonable budget and I want to dispose of it, what is the procedure I should follow?

1. Cancellation of the RTO registration?
2. Informing the insurance company?
3. Getting rid of the physical car?

Are there any companies which deal with scrapping of vehicles?
Old 5th April 2010, 21:47   #2
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about the 1st two processes but the last process is easy. Just contact someone from a place like Chor Bazar (Mumbai). Rest leave it to them.

I don't know about any eco-friendly company which would help you but I think we need one.
SRK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2010, 07:35   #3
BHPian

In India, we do not have a streamlined process for disposing a used car - Unlike in other countries. Like SRK mentioned earlier, the only possible way would be to inform a garage person.
Old 6th April 2010, 08:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Honeybee - Why not sell the car to a used car dealer for what ever price you get?
A. To me, I would view it this way for scrapping the car
1. I've to shell out money to the scrap dealer for crushing the car
2. I've to inform the same to RTO, another headache
3. If I'm sentimental, I would feel that this is mercy killing

B. However, this is India & there's lot of freedom
1. I get money to sell the car to a used car/spare parts dealer
2. All I need to do is get the sale agreement paper signed & submit to RTO
3. If I'm sentimental, I feel that I'm sending the car to an old age home. But hey, I don't have commitment to send the maintenance fee to the old age home.

To me, B1 sounds more attractive than anything else

By the way, what car are we talking about here that cannot be restored within reasonable budget?

Last edited by aargee : 6th April 2010 at 08:03.
Old 6th April 2010, 08:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I am curious to know what is the way to scrap a car in India? If I own a car that has served its purpose and is no more in running condition and cannot be restored within a reasonable budget and I want to dispose of it, what is the procedure I should follow?
The scrapping of cars in India is not an organized activity. You have to get in touch with the local scrapyard people or just have a chat about it with the mechanic. He will definitely help you.
The procedure is something like this :
1. informing RTO and preparing a bond which states that this car is going to be off road and scrapped. (this is how one gets an old registration nos.)
2. Some necessary documents which state that it is your car and is not in any legal dispute.
3. Copy of this to insurance
4. contact the scrapper and collect the cash.

The above stated procedure is just what i was told by the scrapper. They physically inspect the car and then quote the price according to the Rs.in kg of iron. Usually the rate fluctuates somewhere between 12-15Rs. kg.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th August 2022 at 01:07. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 6th April 2010, 08:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
4. contact the scrapper and collect the cash.
This is something that I didn't know before; Oh!!! you're right, this is India

Wouldn't they rip off the plastics from the dashboard & door panels & all applicable non iron parts rather or may be even the tires, tubes, floor mats etc?

Last edited by aargee : 6th April 2010 at 08:42.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Wouldn't they rip off the plastics from the dashboard & door panels & all applicable non iron parts rather or may be even the tires, tubes, floor mats etc?
The policy of scrappers is to buy the vehicle in full and while scrapping the car each and every part is broken whether it is plastic board(dash), rubber parts, glass, metal, aluminum, etc. and crushed into pieces to accommodate them in their shop. All these items are then supplied to the various recyclers who but them for a higher price. (the profit aspect of scrapper). Even the glass is broken down in pieces whether or not they are in good condition or may be reused. Although there are some parts which are sold as a unit such as tyres along with rims etc. And not to forget we BHpians are there to help them further by procuring parts at per unit price.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yeah, they would do that. A better approach would be to first contact the local mechanics and sell off any parts you can sell yourself. And then sell the rest as junk for whatever price. This may get you some more money. On the other hand, if you sell off the whole vehicle, you may be able to close the whole thing in one go.

Thanks all for the inputs!
Old 6th April 2010, 10:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Don't forget that scrappers are also very keen eyed. These chaps spot these things and before quoting the price point out that the car is missing this and that. Better would be to either sell the complete vehicle to them or advertise that there are parts available from this vehicle. Sell off entire parts and then tell the scrapper to quote the amount for whatever remains of the car.
A good one though will be to sell the car to a accident body repair shop. They will definitely buy the car at a higher price considering the value of reusable genuine parts.(if the company is still alive)
Old 6th April 2010, 11:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, what car are we talking about here that cannot be restored within reasonable budget?
No specific car was in mind, actually. But there are a couple of them which may cost a lot of money to restore and the current owners may not want to restore them at such a cost. Some people are rational and some are emotional.
Old 15th January 2012, 09:33   #11
BHPian

Re: Scrapping of Cars

Was in a similar quandary for my 2001 registered scooter also. Registration has long expired (registered in Punjab), and the process for renewal seems difficult here in bangalore. Also no valid insurance. And since the vehicle is in running condition, I don't want it misused after selling. Any pointers?
Old 15th January 2012, 12:06   #12
BHPian

I had a scrap dealer come and pick up my dads chetak scooter. It was beyond repair or restoration. However i didnt bother about the rto or the insurance. The scooter had been standing for about 15 yrs, so i figured it didnt matter.
Old 15th January 2012, 13:17   #13
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

In Bangalore if the vehicle has to be scrapped in the Gujari (Scrap Yard) the vehicle must have documents of some kind, to show that this is not a stolen vehicle. The docs may have lapsed but as long as the scrapper can cover himself that this is not a stolen vehicle he will buy it for scrapping. The Police have enforced this to avoid stolen vehicles being scrapped.

If you are scrapping a vehicle, it is always better to send a registered post with ack due to the RTO, informing that the vehicle has been sold for scrap. If you go to surrender the RC Book, you will have to allow for RTO inspection of the vehicle before scrapping.
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 12:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
In Bangalore if the vehicle has to be scrapped in the Gujari (Scrap Yard) the vehicle must have documents of some kind, to show that this is not a stolen vehicle. The docs may have lapsed but as long as the scrapper can cover himself that this is not a stolen vehicle he will buy it for scrapping. The Police have enforced this to avoid stolen vehicles being scrapped.

If you are scrapping a vehicle, it is always better to send a registered post with ack due to the RTO, informing that the vehicle has been sold for scrap. If you go to surrender the RC Book, you will have to allow for RTO inspection of the vehicle before scrapping.
I have a 2000 matiz registered in MH but was being used in Bangalore, it is a running vehicle done about 70k kms till date.

Now there is no use of it and thus has to be sold /scrapped. I say scrapped because it will cost about 11k to register it in KA plus the hassle of getting a NOC from MH and the price of a second hand Matiz is not that great.
I have a few doubts
1. As KPS said, is a regd letter to the RTO OK? Or is there any other formality like NOC or something?
2. How much can I expect to get from the scrapyard? Weight of vehicle is about 800kgs.

Last edited by goandude : 9th February 2012 at 12:24.
Old 9th February 2012, 12:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Hi folks,

1. Cancellation of the RTO registration?
2. Informing the insurance company?
3. Getting rid of the physical car?

Are there any companies which deal with scrapping of vehicles?
Well, in India, the concept of 'Scrapping' a car does not arise in the first place. There is infact a garage close to where I stay that deals with cars that are literally SCRAP. I mean i've seen accedent cars being brought to the garage in a condition that you swear as 'totalled vehicle'.
For instance, a month back I saw a swift there which looked like a ball of crushed paper. One month down the line, the car looks like it's just been out of the showroom
This particular garage also deals with old (vintage) cars. And what do they do:

1) Sell the car (swift) at a cheaper price to a unsuspicting customer saying that it had met with only a MINOR accident (Thats why the lower price)

2) Sell the older cars at a premium price because they are termed 'vintage'.

So there you go. Just give these kind of garage guys a call and you'll get a better deal than you ever imagined!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks