Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2005, 13:51   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
scorpio was actually in competition to the old qualis, sumo and old safari.

now that the innova, tavera and new safari are out mahindra should either ditch the scorpio platform and make a new car or update the scorpio like tata made the DICOR.
The Scorpio CRDE has been out for a while now so it already has the DICOR type update.
Old 7th October 2005, 14:26   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally posted by anathkamath

Any chance you would know which master cylinder he used....and did he make any changes to the booster also..
nope, no idea as to the make and manufacturer of the equipment; but yes, he did use a smaller dia booster, like i had mentioned. dunno where he is now, but i shall try to find out further details..

Quote:

Also, whats an LSPV,
an LSPV is a a load sensing proportioning valve, which, like you said, varies the pressure to the rear brakes depending upon the load. how it works is; a circular spring is attached laterally to the device, with one end resting on the chassis and the other on the valve. as the rear suspension heightens or lowers according to the load, the spring puts pressure on the valve, thereby reducing or increasing the hydraulic pressure to the rear circuit. although i do not currently have any links, i shall try to post some on the same later. on the safari, you can find the LSPV on the right hand side on the chassis long member.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rtech

Maybe the OE tyres fitted on a Scorpio are just not good enough?
the O.E tyres (on the non-crde) are 235/75 R15 bridgestone duelers, the same ones used on the safari (IDI). the tyres aren't the problem, it's got a lot to do with the suspension, and the brake system itself.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rtech

And then remember that a Scorpio is a tall, heavy, truck. Do not expect it to have the same braking performance of a sedan.
nope, no comparisons to sedans or hatches here; all the SUVs and MUVs in the scorpio's category have similar braking times and figures, except the scorpio; but mind, the difference is not that huge- the only major area of concern with the scorpio, is the lack of feel and brake fade...

Quote:

Maybe but is there anything we can do about it?
i had mentioned the LWB scorpio....

Last edited by veyron1 : 7th October 2005 at 14:28.
Old 7th October 2005, 14:44   #78

Scorpio: what sells!

Guys,

I read through all your posts and i had to say something here. Let me first introduce my bias.

I just love the tata safari. I always thought it is the best indian car in the market and probably the SUV that is better than any other true SUV that you can get for less than Rs 20 lakhs.

I did not like the scorpio for three reasons. It is not as driveable as the safari, not as roomy and definitely not a SUV (because they make the 4x4 on order). These are reasons that you guys have already underscored.

But yet i can understand why it sells. A lot of the people hardly go offroad. they dont drive on long drives to remote places. They dont ever go to areas where the SUV's true nature is required. What they want is the ability to feel and look like driving SUVs. i dont think this is a bad feeling to have. Scorpio looks (and probably is) a tough vehicle. It has definitely the size and appears very much like a SUV. the external appearance is very nice except for the back which looks like a godrej product. But at the end of the day it is symbolic of what most people really want: to have the look and feel but to not really use it like a SUV.

I personally think that M&M understood what 90% of the customers want and made the vehicle to fit the sweet spot. Good for them that they sold so many vehicles. Remember it was a first for them to sell into the car market (albeit the luxury suv market). They got the price right where it was most effective.

Now that the product is out, we have started comparing it to other suvs and we knew that it would come up short. I think that the next generation scorpio will be different because having sold to the low end of the suv segment they will try to horn in on the top end.

My bet is still on Tata to keep owning the real SUV market in India for years to come.

regards
Old 7th October 2005, 15:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

Deleted my post...would have created more controversy.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 7th October 2005 at 16:04.
Old 7th October 2005, 16:27   #80
Senior - BHPian

Experts now that we have got some idea about what can be done to the brakes and the handling lets see What can be done about the safety aspect of the car?

Some links about the scorpio on team-bhp which have been discussed before!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...corpio+Porsche

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...corpio+Porsche

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...?t=2143&page=2
Cheers!
Old 7th October 2005, 17:01   #81
Team-BHP Support

Aah, but you forgot that it sends mails, so i read your original
anyways when is the review on your accent coming up. Waiting for the long termer!
Old 7th October 2005, 17:32   #82
Senior - BHPian

Hehe so you read it...i thought its best to keep quite

About the report...
In due time...just got the servicing done from outside...thanks to hyundai service stations running above full capacity. Will get started on it tonite...so expect it in a couple of days.

Drifter
Old 7th October 2005, 17:58   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
Maybe but is there anything we can do about it?
without heavy modification,i dont think it will be possible.The problem is that the design fundamentals are flawed.only thing one can do is maybe cange the weight distibution slightly but then that will be a very crude solution as relocating any engine or drive components will be very difficult and expensive.

i have never driven a Scorpio so i dont know what exactly is the problem with the vehicle.if someone can clearly highlight the problems in handling and braking then probably we can think of some idea.handling will be the difficult bit but we can surely do something about the brakes.
Old 7th October 2005, 17:58   #84
Senior - BHPian

The Scorpio is a good vehicle to show off in if you drive it properly. That is my opinion. Why would you want to mod this and mod that if you know about the limits of the vehicle? Drive it the way it is meant to be driven and stay safe. It does it's work and that is all that counts. Looks good too. So what is the big deal?

Want to drive at 150+ buy a better vehicle. Want to go quick around corners and live life on the rough side buy a better vehicle. Cant buy a better vehicle, then dont drive fast and round corners on rough roads in a Scorpio. Simple naa?

And if some of you can mod it to be better for 50K, I wonder what the company is doing? If they have not been able to solve these problems then something is seriously wrong with them. If they have tried, then well ....

Personally, I don't like SUVs or whatever they are if they are used to just show off cause I feel there are better ways of doing so.
Old 7th October 2005, 20:09   #85
Senior - BHPian

What about safety of the car?

Saw this recently!

Last edited by BUSA : 7th October 2005 at 20:10.
Old 7th October 2005, 20:11   #86
Senior - BHPian

Busa, how do you know that it was the cars lack of safety that lead to that. The worlds most safe cars like the Renaults will be in the same condition as this Scorpio if they were banged by a Heavy vehicle standing stand still. Please stop posting information having no value at all. Its been some time now.
Old 7th October 2005, 20:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Cant buy a better vehicle, then dont drive fast and round corners on rough roads in a Scorpio. Simple naa?
What you say goes against the basic purpose of the aftermarket. I don't know about others, but modding cars/bikes to beat better and more expensive ones of the ilk gives me a cheap thrill. Someone has likened this thrill to "shooting the President with a cheap handgun"

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Why would you want to mod this and mod
that if you know about the limits of the vehicle?

Because we can. Period. And to do that, not only must we know the limits, we must also know how to push the limits.

Busa you are not helping your case by posting gory pics of Scorpios smashed up; Like Type negative said it doesnt prove anything.....One of the threads you posted earlier was of some use though.

Ananth

Last edited by ananthkamath : 7th October 2005 at 20:17.
Old 7th October 2005, 20:14   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
What about safety of the car?

Saw this recently!

lots of images of Scorpios in accidents
That's why we ask people not to dirve underage and also to drive carefully. Those pics are of no value. Any vehicle in a bad accident will end up that way. Does not prove anything. You are being unnecessarily nasty out here.
Old 7th October 2005, 20:19   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What you say goes against the basic purpose of the aftermarket. I don't know about others, but modding cars/bikes to beat better and more expensive ones of the ilk gives me a cheap thrill. Someone has likened this thrill to "shooting the President with a cheap handgun"
What I am trying to say is that if the Scorpio is a decent enough performer, what is the need to mod? If it is cheap thrills you are after then more power to your endeavour.

The whole premise behing my post was that you were modding the Scorpio to be a bit better. My counter point being that it does not need to be modified. Anyone not getting 'decent performance' from it is not doing the vehicle any justice.

Quote:
Because we can. Period. Ananth
No comment.

P.S. Dont take my comments to heart. Mod away if you want to beat a Cayenne/Lexus/M-Class. LOL

Last edited by typeOnegative : 7th October 2005 at 20:25.
Old 7th October 2005, 20:26   #90
Team-BHP Support

ohhh crap, have you heard about the various ikon accidents that have taken place at regular intervals, dude i've seen worse cases than this.
wonder how much can someone push to make others feel that he's correct.
do you even know the cause of the accident, could be an accident caused due to underage driving.
first you start a thread to criticise a car/suv/muv (whatever you want to call it) which you have never driven and now this, you are so going the maybach & montoya way,just pray my guess is not correct.
a fellow bhpian just told me that montoya and maybach got together and then came .. . . . .. . . guess who?

manson.

Last edited by manson : 7th October 2005 at 20:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks