Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2005, 20:32   #91
Team-BHP Support

and just incase this is an accident which took place long time back then i know things about it, it was a drunk driving case, so please stop with the unrequired bashing.

manson.

p.s. what car do you drive?
Old 7th October 2005, 21:18   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
and just incase this is an accident which took place long time back then i know things about it, it was a drunk driving case, so please stop with the unrequired bashing.

manson.

p.s. what car do you drive?

That message showing Scorpio accident images was just pathetic. Even the safest of the safest cars in world can get to that shape.. Remember the Skoda accident?
Old 7th October 2005, 21:29   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
That message showing Scorpio accident images was just pathetic. Even the safest of the safest cars in world can get to that shape.. Remember the Skoda accident?
so what are you trying to convey by quoting my post?

manson.

p.s. don't mean to sound rude, didn't really get the reason for quoting me.
Old 7th October 2005, 21:41   #94
Senior - BHPian

I believe it was quoted by mistake manson...he wanted to quote busa actually i guess.

Drifter
Old 7th October 2005, 21:58   #95
Senior - BHPian

yup.. it was by mistake..
Old 7th October 2005, 22:04   #96
Senior - BHPian

Actually i dont get this whole thread at all... i mean you can start with : What the Heck Safari is for?.. or What the Heck Maruti 800 is for??.. or What the heck Skoda Octavia is for?? or What the heck Tata Sumo is for??

The thing is, every car/suv/muv has a particular consumer. You buy an 800 because you want cheapt transport but compromising on safety. You buy Indica because you want FE diesel engine but compromising on performance. You buy Santro because you want comfortable city travel but compromising on interior space. In the same way, yoy buy Scorpio because of its diesel engine, its looks (again subjective), its performance... but not for doing 150kmph on Delhi Jaipur Highway!..
Old 7th October 2005, 22:07   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
True remember the Merc in the Diana, Dodi Fayed accident. The pictures of the Scorpio prove nothing.
Old 7th October 2005, 22:31   #98
Team-BHP Support

To BUSA and dadudeonfire.
Keep few things in mind when you participate in a public forum like TBHP:

1. You are interacting with thousand of members.
2. You may never meet them in person.
3. There are always others to prove your statement right or wrong. With their respective knowledge, of course.
4. TBHP does not promote under age driving. In any manner.
5. There are senior members who you’re interacting with. Please respect their age and knowledge. However, you can always make strong relevant points if you know what you’re talking about. With right kind of information and proof for others to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Guys please dont pounce on me for being underage! Look at dadude driving at 140 and he being youger then me
6. Stop giving lame excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudeonfire
ohh its all crap..i really dont mind if mods reduce my 100 posts also...
7. Stop being arrogant. It won’t take you anywhere positive.

This note is to make few things clear in your mind. Please follow this to maintain a healthy forum.

Thank you.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th October 2005 at 22:40.
Old 7th October 2005, 22:36   #99
Senior - BHPian

NO arguements with elders and seniors! I am sorry for all what wrong i have posted and would like to apologise to all of them!

Will stay away from this thread unless i find something worthy to post!

Sorry everyone, forgive me
Old 8th October 2005, 01:35   #100
Senior - BHPian

ok since another thread created by BUSA has been closed
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7935

look BUSA if you think Indian cars are the most unsafest in the world & even by brushing driver will be killed then don't use these cars
but stop creating scene out of it
you have no sources, no logic & you never make any sence

oh & another thing stop taking cheap shots at another members

EDIT: another thing before making any comment on technical stuff remember you are 17 years old & people who designed cars like Indica, Scorpio are highly qualified individuals from various respected universities

Last edited by adya33 : 8th October 2005 at 01:39.
Old 8th October 2005, 05:12   #101

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

the only reason y the scorpio is sellin is cos its owners can show presence on the road and intimidate smaller cars....and cos it feebly passes off as a suv.a lot of indians r not that educated and dont consider handling,interiors,ergonomics etc. as features while lookin for a car but only three things:-f.e.,prestige and road presence.all of these parameters the scorpio meets wonderfully.its noteworthy that m&m being an indian company has managed to give competition to foreign manufacturers.its just that indians expect too much but r not willing to pay for it if its an indian company but put a honda tag in front and everything becomes vfm.still at that price its not worth it......look a the optra n look at the scorpio...same price but wide difference in features....wat is m&m charging for..????
Old 8th October 2005, 06:24   #102
BHPian

Guys,

I really had to post this.. This is nothing technical and it has been fascinating to see the detailed discourse on automotive technicalities. Not to take away from the intensity, but this is another perspective...

But, see, i was driving from work to home and thinking about this thread while i was at it. And for a moment there i started laughing so hard that i almost swerved into the next lane

Well, - here we are - heaping all blame on Mahindra because Scorpio is not what it poses to be in the market. But it still sells. Step back a minute and look at what is supposedly the most advanced automobile market in the world - the US. I look all around me and this is what i see - Ford Expeditions, Escapes, Excursions, F150s, 250s, Dodge Rams, Durangos, Chevy Silverados, Avalanches Tahoes, Suburbans, Nissan Xterras, Titans etc. etc... the list is seemingly endless.

These are all the 'SUVs' available here and are seen in abundant number unless you are in New York or Chicago or any of those cramped big cities. These vehicles have more in common with large boats than any road vehicles. I have driven a Chevy Avalanche (top of the line, with butt warmers(!)) multiple times on long trips and a Ford F150 once or twice - so i do have some first hand experience of rocking, swaying and rolling along.

Unless extensively modded, nobody here does actual off roading with most of these vehicles. But are these not called SUVs? Hell yes! And these sell in humongous numbers. Mahindra is just following the lead. Lets not question Indian taste or patience just because a non-utiility vehicle gets called a SUV and sells in large numbers.

My point is - this is pretty common place in the industry all over the world. The exceptions are few and far between. The vehicle i lusted for the longest time is the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Now that is an SUV - pure and simple. It isnt practical for too many other purposes.

So, instead of modding the Scorpio to make it out to something it is not, i think it is better to look at vehicles built to off-road with the best of them - horses for courses and so on.. Purely personal opinion and no offense meant, of course.

I rest my case...

Cheers!
Old 8th October 2005, 09:58   #103
Senior - BHPian

Bala,

I see your point. But I think you've missed the objective of improving the suspension of the Scorpio: the logic is that since it is hardly used off the road, it needs to be made a better on-road car.

Hence the idea of lowering it to gain more stability....I am sure you will agree; even in the US, many guys lower their trucks and SUVs to insane levels....most of them maybe for looks, but a significant percentage definitely do it for handling, is it not?

Ananth
Old 8th October 2005, 10:13   #104
BHPian

Ananth,

I was in fact going to ask you that. Whenever i see modded out SUVs, they are always done to increase the height of the ride - never to decrease it

That was another thing i was hoping to learn from the experts here. At least around this region (Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas etc.), you see SUV's riding on stilts (no exaggeration). If you sit in one, you will probably see about 10 cars in front of you in full traffic.

Now, based on your discussions, i gather that increasing the height of an SUV does not do good to its handling. Then, why do they do it here?! Now, granted that they could be doing it just for muscle value...What are your thoughts?

FYI, the only cars that i see really lowered are the so-called tuner cars - Dodge Neons, Honda Civics, Ford Focus' etc. The odd Mustang is lowered and of course Corvettes and Elise's come so low out of the showroom that there is no need to lower them any more.

Cheers!
Old 8th October 2005, 10:20   #105
BHPian

Moderators or powers that be,

Can we change the title of this thread to reflect that we are trying to do something constructive with the Scorpio instead of the other way round?

Thanks,

Bala

Most Viewed