Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should we be patriotic while choosing a new Car?
Yes..patriotism must prevail over other factors 4 8.70%
No..I need the best. dont care about who makes it 42 91.30%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2005, 12:26   #1
BANNED

Should we be PATRIOTIC while choosing a car?

Back ground : The design & technology is imported but all foreign auto companies in India employ Indians as workers. They are paid well & those money (salary), is spend in Indian markets. Only the profit is going to Foreign country.

So should we Patriotic or should we choose a better design not worrying about who manuctures it, Indian company or Foreign company?

What say BHP-ians?
Old 6th October 2005, 12:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Firstly when buying a car i am sure most people look at their requirements and not the origin of the company! I would prefer to choose a better design and not look on patriotism as its mere showoff!(no offense to anyone)

If thats how much we love our country! Then why do we over speed, brake traffic rules and then talk about patriotism!
Old 6th October 2005, 12:38   #3
Team-BHP Support

We would not be doing our country any favours if we simply turn a blind eye to all the faults in their products and buy them simply because they are "Made in India".

Judge each product on the way it fulfils its intended purpose, not where or by who it's made.
Old 6th October 2005, 12:54   #4
BANNED

go deep into it...and you will realise that by buying cars of foreign companys..u are benifitting your own country ...because IF u stop buying such cars...these companys will no longer have any operations in india...that means...no employment opportunities...these company's specially honda are providing employment to many people in our country...it helps us many ways...web sites...commercials...car dealers like jmd popular cars..
Old 6th October 2005, 13:03   #5
BHPian

While still going through the process of getting the first car:
There never was any thought of patriotism during the selection process... It was mostly about the affordability, reliability, comfort, etc etc...
Old 6th October 2005, 13:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Daduonfire makes some valid points.

Go for the best quality car your money can buy. If people are buying foreign brands then it puts pressure on local producers to innovate and catch up.
Old 6th October 2005, 13:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Firstly when buying a car i am sure most people look at their requirements and not the origin of the company! I would prefer to choose a better design and not look on patriotism as its mere showoff!(no offense to anyone)
I totally agree with busa. But, if there were two cars that fit my requirements, had equal quality levels, had equal prices, I would, sure as hell, go for the Indian-made car.

Because I believe that Indian engineers can cut it with the best in the world, and they have perspectives that no engineer from Europe or America or Japan would have. They have endured constraints that no first-world engineer ever had, and they have come out on top.

If this amounts to showoff, then so be it! (no offense taken)
Old 6th October 2005, 13:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

It can never be the only or deciding or even major criteria for buying a car, but in my case it would tilt the balance in favour of an Indian car when the products under consideration are comparable. It also helps if the comparable Indian product is cheaper to buy, run and maintain, which is usually the case.

However, we rarely get to see such patriotic behaviour a,ongst car buyers because it is fashionable to be a traitor and belittle whats made locally...again, no offense to anyone.
Old 6th October 2005, 15:33   #9
BHPian

Though Off-topic: but on a similar note:

If purchasing a non-indian car, [ how do u define this? is it concept to market , or only manufacturing /marketing that identifies it as a Indian ]... could be termed as being unpatriotic , how about working in/for MNC's?
Old 6th October 2005, 15:38   #10
BHPian

I never gave a thought abt country of origin. Anyways most companies make the cars here and hence give lotsa employment to Indians and also work to local sub-contractors.
So I would go for the car which best fits my requirements, and then if its made by an Indian company its a bonus ! (which happens to be my case)
Old 6th October 2005, 16:11   #11
BHPian

not necessarily ... if two cars (one of which is indian) are comparable on the same parameters, then, i would choose the indian car.

s
Old 6th October 2005, 16:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

While deciding on a car I don't think about the origin of the company but look at the car which offers all the features I like.
Old 6th October 2005, 18:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Be Patriotic and bring back the era of the Fiat Padmini and the Ambassador ?? Do you guys think if we just buy Indian cars - the manufacturers will keep on improving and offer us better products ?? I dont think so - looking at the past.

Better look at what fits your needs better - and if its Indian why not but if its not Indian ,so what ?
Old 6th October 2005, 19:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Be Patriotic and bring back the era of the Fiat Padmini and the Ambassador ??
Neither of those were Indian products so there's no need to feel patriotic about buying them. Look at things in the current context.
Old 6th October 2005, 21:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

then we should feel patriotic about the Tata and Mahindra products + Reva. Any other Indian productsother than these 3 , feel free to add.

Most Viewed