Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 09:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hennessey Venom GT coming to India?

Hennessey Teams With DiMora To Sell Venom GT

Just the Facts:
  • Hennessey has contracted with DiMora to distribute the Venom GT in the Middle East and India.
  • The Houston-based firm introduced the Lotus-based Venom GT last week.
  • This rather insane supercar has a midmounted LS9 V8 and a $600,000 price tag.

HOUSTON — Hennessey Performance Engineering says that Alfred DiMora of DiMora Motorcar will be the exclusive distributor in the Middle East and India for the new Venom GT and other HPE vehicles.
DiMora has been associated with a number of high-end vehicles, including his own $2 million Natalia SLS 2, which has been on the drawing board since 2006.
The Venom GT was formally unveiled last week. HPE plans to offer 725-, 1,000- and 1,200-horsepower variants of the Lotus-based supercar, which has a General Motors-sourced supercharged 6.2-liter LS9 V8. The 1,000- and 1,200-hp versions add twin turbochargers. All will be priced from around $600,000.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:23   #2
BHPian

Its good to see such supercars trying to reach into the indian market. But the big question is considering the practicality , how many of these would actually sell. There is no dearth for money, but how many would actually go for one. With so much money at disposal, most would go for a more practical car. india is still not ready for supercars given the poor road infrastructure.
Rotorhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2010, 07:39   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Its good to see such supercars trying to reach into the indian market. But the big question is considering the practicality , how many of these would actually sell. There is no dearth for money, but how many would actually go for one. With so much money at disposal, most would go for a more practical car. india is still not ready for supercars given the poor road infrastructure.
I have not heard good things about Henessessey. The company has a reputation of taking money from the customer and never finishing the product.
Old 10th April 2010, 17:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92335 View Post
I have not heard good things about Henessessey. The company has a reputation of taking money from the customer and never finishing the product.
Read this : LINK

cya
R
Old 15th April 2010, 16:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Just came across this video of the Hennessey Venom GT Road Testing in England. Looks Drool ! Love to see it in India !

Old 15th April 2010, 22:25   #6
BHPian

well, even if it makes to India, I dont think we have the roads which can handle a vehicle of this magnitude. According to the figures mentioned by Sid, this vehicle is gonna cost $60k i.e. around 2.5 crores. With all the import taxes etc, you are looking at something about 5 crores. Well, it can be used as a showcase by some of those rich guys - that is the only use I see with this vehicle.
Old 16th April 2010, 00:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
well, even if it makes to India, I dont think we have the roads which can handle a vehicle of this magnitude. According to the figures mentioned by Sid, this vehicle is gonna cost $60k i.e. around 2.5 crores. With all the import taxes etc, you are looking at something about 5 crores. Well, it can be used as a showcase by some of those rich guys - that is the only use I see with this vehicle.
IMO India has the roads where these cars can be used. These beauties will not be used to drop the children to school or go to office. And if anyone does buy them, the person will obviously be rich and will be used to massage his ego
Old 16th April 2010, 08:08   #8
BHPian

Here's a nice introduction for this super hyper car's introduction in india.
All the beggars and other earthlings who sleep on the streets have one more thing to fear.
Driven by a drunk teenager, its the worst nightmare for them, ladies and gentleman i present to you Hennessey Venom GT.
Old 12th April 2016, 22:21   #9
BHPian

Re: Hennessey Venom GT coming to India?

Hennessey Venom GT sets new top speed world record of 270.49 MPH

Hennessey Venom GT coming to India?-bbrcbti.jpg

On Feb. 14, the Hennessey Venom GT supercar set a new world speed record for two-seat sports cars, reaching a top speed of 270.49 mph (435.31 km/h).

Brian Smith, director of Miller Motorsports Park, an experienced test driver and vehicle dynamics engineer, drove the Venom to glory on the Kennedy Space Center's 3.2-mile Space Shuttle landing runway.

"I knew the car had it in it, but it's a thrill to officially validate the Venom GT's 270-mph speed," Hennessey CEO Don Goldman said in a statement. "Venturing anywhere above 200 mph—let alone 270—is not to be taken lightly, and we're elated to have accomplished our goal."

The record-breaking speed is legit, according to Racelogic, renowned maker of GPS data-acquisition systems, which sent engineer Joe Lachovsky to the track for verification. According to Lachovsky, the vehicle was still accelerating at an average rate of 1 mph per second, and took just 10.1 seconds to move from 260 to 270 mph.

"If we could run on an 8-mile oval we could go faster than that," Smith said after the run, which was completed in 2.4 miles.

This isn't the Hennessey team's first speed record, though. The Venom GT also carries the title of world's fastest from 0-300 km/h (13.63 seconds), and 0-200 mph (14.51 seconds).

Watch Smith and the Venom GT make history in the video below.

This month's achievement was a real dream come true for company founder John Hennessey, who once fantasized about becoming an astronaut like his hero, Neil Armstrong.

"Even though the astronaut thing didn't work out for me, I am humbled to have had the opportunity to set our speed record on the hallowed grounds of the American space program," he said in a statement. "Building and validating our Venom GT as the world's fastest has been a long journey and a lot of hard work."

He continued, quoting President John F. Kennedy, who, in 1962, told the American people that "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do those other things … not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

"As a result we have built a better car and a better team at Hennessey Performance," the company president said.

To date, only 11 Venom GT vehicles are in use around the world; each is built to order and takes six months to complete. Production will be limited to only 29 units globally.

Source: 'PC Mag'
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454149,00.asp

Last edited by cbatrody : 12th April 2016 at 22:22. Reason: Adding Source
Old 13th April 2016, 02:28   #10
BHPian

I always wonder how reliable are such heavily tuned cars. I have always dreamt of owning a 1000 HP AMS GT-R. But I also have questions like how reliable (or unreliable) the car would become after such mods, will it be visiting the garage more frequently etc.

Correct me if I am wrong but if such tuners don't have proper service backup or their physical presence in India what is the point in owning the car? Or is it that once you buy the car any knowledgeable tuner can work on it here in India(if need be)? I know they fly in engineers from US to work on your car and what not, but doesn't it delay the process much? Checking what's wrong, getting the right parts, fixing it etc.

I might be looking and assuming things from a very limited scope, but this is what I feel.

-Bhargav
Old 13th April 2016, 04:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
It's going to be around US$ 1.4 million and that doesn't include shipping and options. $1.4 million at today's rates is Rs. 9.3 cr approx. That's the direct conversion. Add taxes etc. and it'll be an astronomical figure!

http://www.venomgt.com/for-sale/

I cannot imagine the amount of money someone should have in order to buy, insure, maintain and drive this car. If they are able to spend such amounts on a car, imagine the money they must have stashed in overseas bank accounts. Just mind boggling.

Most Viewed