Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 22:37   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd
Exactly my thoughts <LOL>. I dont understand how a car like estilo can sell when cars like beat are available in same price range.
I thought the same too, till a few weeks ago when a non-tbhpian colleague pointed out to me the specs. Short of airbags (or does it have that also), it is loaded to the gills. And all for 4.3L. And with the latest makeover, the looks are quite palatable too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007
I don't want to see that weird looking car on roads esp the rear.
Hmm. So, you think the i10 is any better ? Same sorry frontal looks. Ritz? Front is sort of ok, but rear is crap. Figo - rear is awesome, but front is screwed up - like the diesel Ikon. Beat is the only one that seems to be overall better. Punto ? So plain from any which way you look at it - the Stile is much better. Nano ? Well, Estilo seems better in looks. Have not seen a Polo yet - so no comments.

So no K-series in the Alto and still a 20K hike in price ? Disappointment.

The ANHC sells 3 times more than the SX4 and that too at a higher price point. Logical to me, since inspite of being a Suzuki fan, if I wanted a sedan, I would pick an ANHC/Altis over the SX4. But Fiesta selling less than SX4 ? Inspite of having a diesel ? Thats surprising.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 10th April 2010 at 22:40.
Old 10th April 2010, 22:47   #107
Senior - BHPian

Figo looks to be a sure winner for Ford , it has sold in good numbers. Its too early to take a decisive view lets wait for next couple of months and see how it does. Can anyone give a breakup of Diesel to petrol Figo’s being sold. My bet is it should be more than 2:1

i10 is taking over Maruti's bread & butter segment they needs to pep-up, I think the upgraded Alto & Wagon R might get them back.

Beat with (4500) is doing well as it only has Petrol and Diesel is expected some time later. They can easily do upto 8K once the diesel is in.

Jazz has now some saving grace with launch of some goodies.
Punto seems to have lost the game, its volumes are now sub 1000 range FIAT wake-up save it.
Old 10th April 2010, 22:51   #108
BHPian

Car of the Month - Ford PHIGO, has done exceptionally well, but what happened to Skoda Octavia - a drastic fall in the month of March (15) (Jan and Feb 227 and 158 respectively).
Old 11th April 2010, 00:56   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Car of the Month - Ford PHIGO, has done exceptionally well, but what happened to Skoda Octavia - a drastic fall in the month of March (15) (Jan and Feb 227 and 158 respectively).
I assume you meant PORD PHIGO?

I guess it is time to end this habit of phonetically correcting each others. As long as we like excuses, we will be refusing to correct ourselves.

Lets say, I might pronounce it "maruthi", but as long as the company's name is maruti, writing it as maruthi would be typo.

Lets move on
Old 11th April 2010, 08:32   #110
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia sold only 15 in March? Compared to 150+ in Feb and 220+ in Jan? Time for a face-lift and repositioning alongside Honda City.

Proper nouns need to be written exactly the way intended by its originators. No matter how it is pronounced, writing as MARUTHI or PHIGO are clear mistakes. Please do not proliferate off topic discussion in car sales thread.
Old 11th April 2010, 09:01   #111
Senior - BHPian

Ford Figo is going great guns! It is indeed a very good car. Yes, Indigo sales do show that there is more scope in the entry level sedan market. Dzire waiting period was quoted as 2.5-3 months in March here in Mumbai when we booked our Swift.
Old 11th April 2010, 09:05   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hmm. So, you think the i10 is any better ? Same sorry frontal looks. Ritz? Front is sort of ok, but rear is crap. Figo - rear is awesome, but front is screwed up - like the diesel Ikon. Beat is the only one that seems to be overall better. Punto ? So plain from any which way you look at it - the Stile is much better. Nano ? Well, Estilo seems better in looks. Have not seen a Polo yet - so no comments.
I wouldn't mind. That's your view and I totally respect it. Looks are subjective and we all have different views. I don't own the shares of Maruti or Ford or Hyundai to take it personal Chill mate. What's the problem if I don't like to see a A-Star on the road? I didn't go around threads asking people not to buy it. Infact, I strongly recommend the K-Series Ritz and Swift.

And speaking objectively. What's the A-Star's strong point?
Old 11th April 2010, 09:45   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I wouldn't mind. That's your view and I totally respect it. Looks are subjective and we all have different views. I don't own the shares of Maruti or Ford or Hyundai to take it personal Chill mate. What's the problem if I don't like to see a A-Star on the road? I didn't go around threads asking people not to buy it. Infact, I strongly recommend the K-Series Ritz and Swift.

And speaking objectively. What's the A-Star's strong point?
I think I would tend to agree with what you said. The A-star doesn't work at all, specially with the advent of the Beat.
Old 11th April 2010, 11:47   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I think I would tend to agree with what you said. The A-star doesn't work at all, specially with the advent of the Beat.
True---
Beat looks better than Astar.
Interiors much better than A-star.
Rides better than Astar.
More spacious than Astar.

The only place where Astar wins is Handling.
Performance wise both are similar but Astar feels a bit more agile.

All in all Beat wins Hands down.
Old 11th April 2010, 13:05   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Skoda Octavia sold only 15 in March? Compared to 150+ in Feb and 220+ in Jan? Time for a face-lift and repositioning alongside Honda City.
I think the reason is because Octavia is going to be discontinued due to BS-IV norms. So Skoda may only be clearing the old stock in last 2-3 months.
Old 11th April 2010, 13:15   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti (मारुति) is a word referring to (मरुत), the Wind God., . Marut is said to have two sons: Hanuman; the bachelor God and Bhima. Hanuman (sa:हनुमान्, IAST:Hanumān; also Anjaneya, Maruti) is a Hindu deity, .... (wikipedia)

In sanskrit it is मारुति (MARUTI) not मारुथी (MARUTHI).

Thus, Maruti Suzuki India Limited (मारुति सुज़ूकी इंडिया लिमिटेड)

Disclaimer: Just for curiosity, not to hurt anybodies sentiment.

Quote:
A language scholar can correct me, but I do not think any body write Tamilnadu as Thamilnadu or Tendulkar as Thendulkar, Pawan Kant Munjal as Pawan Kanth Munjal. But people write - Ranjith (Ranjit), Sumith (Sumit), Lalitha (Lalita). Any technical explanation.

Sorry for going .
I did not know about this Marut gentleman! Here the Wind God is simply known as Vayu Baghwan! And only Hanuman as Maruthi!

Similarly the state name is written and pronounced as Tamil Nadu in English. But written and pronounced as Thamizh Nadu in the vernacular! Tendulakar is pronounced without the h, until we know otherwise!

So you will find 99.99% of people here calling it as the "Maruthi" car, even though I agree that while typing it should be Maruti!

Ok, I think that is enough OT for the day.

The Alto will be back in the fray very shortly. ABT is accepting booking for the same for a down payment of Rs 10K and a waiting period of one month. I think it will be a super seller with the A-Star engine.

Last edited by Gansan : 11th April 2010 at 13:22.
Old 11th April 2010, 13:47   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
It's MARUTI and not MARUTHI, pal. Don't believe me? check out the company's website

I wonder what could be the reason? Thew only thing I can gather is that the company is trying to hide the (maybe) luke warm sales of vista/manza vis a vis regular indica/Indigo CS

Yes and try to get Manza /Vista sales in particular if you can, dear sir!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
LOL! But that is how we pronounce Hanuman's name in South. The company spelling it wrongly does not matter to us!

Visited ABT Maruti again yesterday. They are accepting booking for BS IV Alto for a down payment of Rs 10k and the waiting period is one month. Price OTR is ~ Rs 3.20 lacs for the LXi version.
Quote:
Maruti (मारुति) is a word referring to (मरुत), the Wind God., . Marut is said to have two sons: Hanuman; the bachelor God and Bhima. Hanuman (sa:हनुमान्, IAST:Hanumān; also Anjaneya, Maruti) is a Hindu deity, .... (wikipedia)

In sanskrit it is मारुति (MARUTI) not मारुथी (MARUTHI).

Thus, Maruti Suzuki India Limited (मारुति सुज़ूकी इंडिया लिमिटेड)

Disclaimer: Just for curiosity, not to hurt anybodies sentiment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Technically, both are wrong. When you use English, the letter T is hard, as in Tom. And if used as Th, it goes to the sound as in The. There is no equivalent pronunciation in the English language to the sanskrit one of Maruti/Maruthi. One could also say that in that case, both are correct. In south India, the th spelling is used in a lot of places to indicate the use of similar pronunciation - not the one in Tom, nor the one in The. I guess which one is correct depends on where one lives!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I did not know about this Marut gentleman! Here the Wind God is simply known as Vayu Baghwan! And only Hanuman as Maruthi!

Similarly the state name is written and pronounced as Tamil Nadu in English. But written and pronounced as Thamizh Nadu in the vernacular! Tendulakar is pronounced without the h, until we know otherwise!

So you will find 99.99% of people here calling it as the "Maruthi" car, even though I agree that while typing it should be Maruti!

Ok, I think that is enough OT for the day.

The Alto will be back in the fray very shortly. ABT is accepting booking for the same for a down payment of Rs 10K and a waiting period of one month. I think it will be a super seller with the A-Star engine.

Guys, all your answers are here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...nts-india.html
Old 11th April 2010, 15:43   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007
Looks are subjective and we all have different views. I don't own the shares of Maruti or Ford or Hyundai to take it personal. Chill mate. What's the problem if I don't like to see a A-Star on the road?
Looks like you need to chill. Neither did I take you view personally (I dont own an A-star) nor did I question the validity of your view on looks. All I said that most hatches available today are as screwed-up when it comes to looks.
Old 11th April 2010, 15:53   #119
BHPian

Some interesting observations:

1. In Q1 (Jan-March) 2009, the number of cars sold in India was 4,51,696 whereas in 2010 the number is 5,81,175, a growth of 28.6%

2. Entry level hatchback segment: (Q1 2009) total vehicles sold was 1,99,058 (avg. 66,353/month). In Q1 2010 the number of cars sold in this segment is 2,16,546 (avg. 72182/month) thus, a growth of 22%.

3. Premium Hatchback segment: (Q1 2009) total cars sold was 73,504 with an avg. sell of 24501 cars per month. This segment showed a staggering growth of 71% in Q1 of 2010 - cars sold 1,35,311 in 3 months (avg. 45,103 cars/month).

When the industry showed a growth of ~28% in Q1 of 2010 the premium hatch back showed a stunning growth of 71%, the entry segment is also growing at 22%. Does the first time buyer directly upgrading them to a premium hatchback or aam public has got more buying capacity after recession? What may be the reason?

Slightly OT again, when people writing Volkswagen (pronounced as 'folk,va:gen) (as Germans doesn't have F in their alphabet) properly as per the company's name, why showed reluctancy to write MARUTI as per company's name, irrespective of how they pronounce?

Last edited by gaddiwale : 11th April 2010 at 15:56.
Old 11th April 2010, 18:01   #120
Senior - BHPian

Sales figures for the BMW 3 are astonishing but what is surprising is the 90 figure for the C-Class in march. Does it mean there was low inventory and some new models on the way? or is it just the BMW 320d C.E blowing the socks away for the C?

Going a segment higher looks like the BMW 5 (E60) is holding well against the new W212 E, which means once the F10 is out in full trims Mercedes-India will start lagging a lot unless they get very active with configuring better cars? I really think they missed the gun with the E250 CDI Classic, they could have really done something like the 320d CE for that model, rather then just change the trim.

S-Class, the king is holding well even after 5 years to the BMW 7. Three cheers to this one.

All in all I think both Mercedes and BMW will cross the 5,000 cars mark this year. Sadly AUDI will stay at about 2000.

Coming to luxury SUV's, X6 is a huge surprise outselling the X5 and also other SUV's which are a lot more practical. Toureg is also doing well considering the model has been phased out and the new one should come in as a CBU format in few months, unless VW get some sense and think of CKD kits for the new model and make it a competitive value for money luxury SUV compared to others.

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 11th April 2010 at 18:02. Reason: Sales data

Most Viewed