Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 14:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

The overall message is clear, the share of Maruti's is falling (in the WagonR, Estilo,A-Star segment). The total of these cars is way less than Hyundai(Santro, i10).

But Maruti is sure a leader in the Swift related segment. Dont think anyone can touch them for some time now. But with some more launches lined up, it would be interesting days.

Figo numbers are good. But it all bogs down to how much they will be selling some 6-7 months post launch. We have always seen that the launch numbers are pretty misleading.

Eeco sales currently at 2785 is sure to add another 8090 once Omni stops selling. Except them to go beyong Alto at a later point

Last edited by xingamazon : 8th April 2010 at 14:59.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
The overall message is clear, the share of Maruti's is falling (in the WagonR, Estilo,A-Star segment). The total of these cars is way less than Hyundai(Santro, i10).
The April numbers will be still lesser. But things will change once the Euro IV Alto hits the show rooms. Alto is a flagship model for Maruti, don't expect them to let go of it so easily!
Old 8th April 2010, 15:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I wondered about that as well and visited ABT Maruti during lunch time. Alto is out of stock now and Euro IV version is expected by the end of this month/early May. They could not say anything about the price either. They have shifted all Euro III stock to their show rooms in other TN towns.

It is just a case of the company withdrawing Euro III stock from Euro IV cities.
I think Maruti decided to upgrade the F8D motor at the very last moment. Its unlikely for Maruti to be doing this kind of a jugglery otherwise. When the Euro II norms kicked in back in April 2000, they were ready with the updated MPFi engines well before the April 1st deadline.

Edit : Did you get any pointers from ABT regarding the engine, ie whether it is an updatd F8D or the K10B? Any mention towards a facelift for the E IV version?

Last edited by longhorn : 8th April 2010 at 15:05.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:09   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I think Maruti decided to upgrade the F8D motor at the very last moment. Its unlikely for Maruti to be doing this kind of a jugglery otherwise. When the Euro II norms kicked in back in April 2000, they were ready with the updated MPFi engines well before the April 1st deadline.

Edit : Did you get any pointers from ABT regarding the engine, ie whether it is an updatd F8D or the K10B? Any mention towards a facelift for the E IV version?
Maruthi has tweaked the existing motor for the emission norms.!

here is the article:

Post BS4, The Maruti Alto Will Soldier On With A Tweaked F8D Engine | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog

and it says:

Today, being April 1st is All Fools Day. Today, is also a day when the fate of many cars will be decided as the BS4 norms come into place beginning today.
While most expected industry bellwether Maruti to plonk a revvy K-Series engine in the Alto’s engine bay, Maruti quietly has done just the opposite. Maruti, known to flog a car for long after it’s sell by date has tweaked the existing F8D engine suitably to make sure it meets the Bharat Stage 4 emission norms.
So, the Maruti Alto, the bread and butter sales topper for Maruti will continue to soldier on with the tweaked F8D engine, thus scuttling many an Indian car buyer’s hopes of a revvy K series engine in the Alto’s engine bay.
What remains to be seen is whether the tweaks on the Alto’s F8D engine will affect driability as in the past where the WagonR suffered from poor driveability issues once it’s engine was similarly tweaked to meet tightening emission norms.

so the alto get no new engine nor a face lift. with new competetion the sales will slack for sure. I wonder about the WagonR facelift now. I am unable to confirm the engine upgrade on the web. Maruti might sneak us a 'new' wagonR with the K series engine from Astar

Last edited by Mafia : 8th April 2010 at 15:12.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

The news of a K10B as well as F8D, both are floating around. Thought this drama would get over by 1st April but the mega serial still soldiers on. AFAIK, there are no confirmed pictures/ information regarding the BS IV Alto on team bhp so far except media excerpts, one being contrary to another.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

The fellow at ABT Maruti could not tell me anything about the engine options either, except that Euro IV Alto is expected in a few weeks!
Old 8th April 2010, 15:19   #37
BANNED

Fiat 500? what is that? I suppose it wont sell as there is no awareness of a 500 as compared to the Beetle. at 62 units beetle is doing pretty good.

Jazz has bounced back with some new features offered.

City has taken a dent in sales

Polo is surprisingly low! I think the end of Fabia is near if there are no upgrades soon!

Figo RULES~!

Look at Getz dying a slow death! i10 is doing awesome number!

who did I miss!!??
Old 8th April 2010, 15:44   #38
mkh
Senior - BHPian

These numbers clear up a few mysteries and thrown surprises
  • Figo has CLEARLY had no effect on the i-10 but given a huge kick in the rear to the punto, which maybe on its way down and out of the competition on the sales figures unless the thick heads sitting in FIAT sales office get their act together.None of the other competitors have taken such a big hit on any new launches. THe FIGO has created a new customer set in itself, crossing the 7K mark is huge and that too with no large waiting period- congrats Ford. If only they would increase their reach a little more, they would surely wipe out some more numbers from the rest
  • The "i pack" is on a roll, which does not look like stopping! i-10 has set a new record of sorts, coming close to the alto, man people are willing to spend if they get value!!! This is contrary to many expecting the i pack to get hit with the FIGO and Polo getting launched. With the new offerings on the i20, it will continue to be a preference in the premium hatch segment. Now we know why hyundai brought out the new models, figo attack
  • GM- welcome back and for good, beat and spark apart, the cruze is a winner too. Gathering 700+ consistently and here to stay as the choice for those who wish a decent bet in the premium diesel segment. This is till the Altis diesel comes out?
  • Accent still lives on! That is simply amazing, clearly many visitors to the Ford showroom found the Figo a better pick than the ikon, but the Accent clientele is in tact!
Some expected happenings:
  • ANHC is clearly the undisputed leader, wonder if the Linea T-Jet and Multi Jet can make any impact when they come?
Who will challenge its supremacy? As of now- none!
  • The fight between the Dezire and Manza goes on, with no clear winner so far, though the numbers favour the Dezire, the Manza is still relatively new so even if its like close, is a big achievement considering none thought that the dezire will be challenged soon
  • Will the swift ever see a down in the sales charts? Well the Kseries introduction will ensure that does not happen in a jiffy. Even with the plethora of new offerings, its pickers are aplenty! Maruti loyalty lives on here!

Last edited by mkh : 8th April 2010 at 15:46.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
FORD: Ikon at 372 numbers: does that mean FIGO dented IKON's(maybe FIESTA's too) sales, as atleast in february it sold 1041 numbers? M
Much of Ford's marketing and plant resources must have been focused on the Figo, thus leading to a decline in Fiesta and Ikon sales. I would expect both of these cars, especially the Ikon, to bounce back to their previous levels once the Figo settles down and the second shift starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
I read somewhere that Ikon are Getz will no longer be sold in 14 cities because they are not BSIV compliant. That would take a big chunk out of the sales.
Only the Ikon petrol is not BS4 compliant. The Ikon TDCi which consists of the vast majority of sales is BS4 compliant.

About Maruti numbers. It's fairly obvious it's a supply side issue due to BS4 norms. I would expect the Alto numbers to go beyond 20K again once they have sorted it out. But it's only a matter of time (maybe less than a year) before we start seeing Alto start it's slow decline like the 800. Or maybe they can cut it's price by 75K and make it a Nano competitor.

Hyundai continues to do a fabulous job on the i10 and i20. It can only get better after the i10 diesel launch.

Last edited by Gilead : 8th April 2010 at 15:50.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

It amazes me as to how the ambassador can sell around 1000+ units in a month. All government babus seem to be going the SUV way, and all the new taxi's are also modern cars. Who are the people buying ambassadors..?
Old 8th April 2010, 15:54   #41
BHPian

C class is falling only 90, time for MB to take things seriously now otherwise BMW will continue to eat MB sales.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:24   #42
BHPian

@karpusv - good job!

It is irritating as hell not the get the individual numbers for Indica Vista and Indigo Manza.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:26   #43
BHPian

Are we going to see History being made very soon with i10 beating Alto in sales! That will be one bitter pill for Maruti to swallow!.
Maruti EECO in trouble territory.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:31   #44
BHPian

My 2 pieces of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Polo@698 -> Hmmm may be people are in a "lets wait and watch" mode. Maintenance costs could be under the junta's scanner
A friend of mine hears from his source that VW currently isnt ready for manufacturing more than 550-600 nos. per month. So , that might explain the low wholesales. Another months figure at the same levels will prove this overheard speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
Honda: jazz discounts/new versions look to work, they have more than doubled wrt Feb numbers.

Beat : I think GM is selling all the cars they are manufacturing, and there are waiting times, so expect Beat numbers to go up
Jazz might have done good keeping in mind people who were disappointed with the lack of Alloy Wheels. And have NOW decided to consider it as acceptable.

I somehow feel Beat might eventually come down in numbers. Purely considering the VFM that Figo offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
The Touareg is doing better than the BMW X5, the Mercedes M Class & the Audi Q7 - the German luxury troika.
Interesting. Could be an aberration.
Actually the PRADO did 32. This could be due to the recent introduction of Diesel. But then, Touareg too is new.
Eventually, the Q7 will still rule this segment, now with the 4.2 TDi on offer.
Q7's 345PS & 760Nm now leaves even the LC200's 285PS & 650Nm behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Logan has gone one more step back with sales of only 351!
Even the new Logan without a boot (smaller boot) might not be able to revive this one case of a completely wrong marketing strategy.
Old 8th April 2010, 17:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

Very good report indeed. Some numbers are amazing for me.

1 Alto / Wagon R seriously needs upgrade now. Entirely new Alto with 800 cc engine is needed to boost the sales. Wagon R we can say still its going well & its uplift is on the way to launch.

2 GM is doing good but far behind Maruti & Hyundai. I dont see any of there existing models will do better than this numbers including Beat. They need some game changer.

3 i10 is a big surprise !!! 15 K + is really a good number. Santro also is still doing good after completing 10 yrs.

4 Feel really bad for Fiat. I will say they are unlucky. Palio is almost died & Punto also has declined. Dont know where they are messing it up.

5 Figo is the car of the month we can say. 7200 sales in first month is creditable. VW should take lesson from them. Ford was not there in the Auto expo so people were guessing lot many things. I hope they have got the answer what they were doing all that time.

6 Swift / Indica are still going really good. No stopping for them.

7 Numbers of Dzire & Manza are awesome. total more than 15 k in a month is great. Both are fighting hard with each other.

8 Cruze looks good with more than 700 +.

9 Civic 742 !!! Cool numbers for Honda. More than Jazz. Jazz more than 500 is also a surprise.

10 Ford ENDEAVOUR 415. Thats again a surprise.

11 Grand Vitara 19 is the biggest surprise though. Dont know who are buying it.

12 Tata still fighting with Sumo & Safari with Toyota & Mahindra. But Mahindra is leading with Bolero.

From the numbers we can see that max no of sales coming in the range of cars within 3.5 - 7 Lacs. All manufacturers should concentrate on this area if they want numbers. Numbers of Swift, Indica, Figo, Dezire, Manza, Wagon R, Alto, i10 suggests that people wants VFM, space, A.S.S. than any other thing. All these cars have at least any 2 points in them.

Most Viewed