Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 04:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

Hindustan Ambassador beats the Grande Punto in sales.

Fortuner beats every other sedan and SUV starting from 10 lakhs and up.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
3- why would it be a surprise? i-10 is THE standard now in the small hatch segment, maybe the decline in alto sales is a little surprise!
4 FIAT brought it upon themselves, they are the ones to blame, simple!

If i were to suggest to a player in the game, they should focus on the VFM Sedan and the premium sedan. Tell me WHAT is a good choice today to buy a 7-8 lacs sedan? NOTHING to say, as fiesta,verna,accent,ikon are all OLD.
SX4 got just a facelift, and the linea, well FIAT is a huge risk still with its sales and service
Also in the 10 lacs segment, the honda city is the ONLY car for a long long time and literally has no competition
There are enough players now in the hatch and premium hatch and more lined up(nissan, toyota) but very less action planned in the segments i mentioned. The way Manza hit the sales numbers without affecting the Dezire speaks a LOT of the demand that exists for a decent family car with a boot.
Its mainly in the Tier 1 and somewhat in the Tier II cities that a demand for premium hatch exists, other places people still want to see a boot in their "big" car
But yes- max sales will always be in the 3-7 lacs segment for sure.

i10 is a surprise because of its numbers. I was not knowing i10 is selling in such a huge number. 15K + in a month is surely a very good number. Alto & i10 has huge difference, one being base car other being advanced small car with all goodies & price diff of almost 1.5 lacs.

Fiat has done good with there launches of Linea & Punto. Also there service is improved. But it is not reflecting in numbers.

As you rightly said, there are not much new choice in sedan in 7-8 lacs category. That's why Dzire & Manza are cashing it with huge numbers. Manufacturers : Please listen to us
Old 9th April 2010, 10:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
I am yet to see a non vfm(meaning expensive or premium) product from suzuki doing well till now. Will wait and see how Kizashi performs.

I am still puzzeled by Manza and Dezire numbers. Manza sales are increasing every month. But Dzire is increasing the gap. Really good thing to happen for the buyer. Same goes with Vista/Swift. Good competition.
Expensive/premium offerings from Suzuki will not cut any ice here. Even I will not consider any Maruti product if I had a budget of Rs 7 - 8 lakhs for a car.

PS : I will not consider any Korean (read Hyundai/Chevy) offering either.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:50   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hindustan Ambassador beats the Grande Punto in sales.
Not surprised. This is the result of the attitude of sales persons at showroom. I request the FIAT officials to make calls to the showrooms to get a TD of the vehicle and see how they respond/follow-up to the calls.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:51   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Fortuner beats every other sedan and SUV starting from 10 lakhs and up.
Very interesting observation.

When viewed in conjunction with the numbers for Innova, Safari, Scorpio, I get a picture that there is more demand for family movers (SUV/MUV) than sedans.

Customers seeing more value in these vehicles when compared to sedans?
Old 9th April 2010, 11:00   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
February:
  • Total car sales : 118013
  • Maruti : 63558 (53.86%)
  • Hyundai : 28198 (23.89%)
  • Tata : 15607 (13.22%)
  • GM : 8215 (6.96%)
  • Ford : 106 (0.09%)
  • Others : 2329 (1.97%)
Good effort cuboid. Thanks for sharing. Did Figo deliveries start in Feb?

Like I thought earlier, Polos poor start is pegged to low production or maybe low sales NW.
Can someone shed light on what's with this production issue?

Poor Punto, common FIAT. Do something.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:01   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the safari is finally seeing 4 digit sales numbers. but it is still lesser than the tavera, forget the innova, scorpio & xylo.
Please Don't compare Safari with Tavera, Xylo & Innova. Safari is kinda mini SUV, others are simply MUV's, mainly used as a premium cab. In fact I am happy seeing 4 digit numbers of Safari after so many years of launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaNarayan View Post
The shocking success of the Ford Figo does not come as a surprise- it is a great car at that price point and it's Indianness in the ads really hits the nail I assume.
The Punto is dying to it's competitors and I can blame only one reason and that is its fit and finish and of course the weak engine- other than that I really don't see such a work of art in any other car that is on Indian roads in the same segment. Such a shame... Fiat wake up!! Linea seems to be on an upbeat with figures creeping up again that is a close rival to the OLD Fiesta and NEW SX4. I think it will zoom past even City provided the T-JET comes at around the same price point of its diesel version....
I agree
Old 9th April 2010, 11:49   #68
BHPian

Looks like ALTO is the most affected due to FIGO launch.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:52   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

i believe too much is being written on the drop in sales of alto. The upgradation to euro 4 is d reason. I sight the same reason for drop in sales of punto as well. April will actually shows what is the reason for the drop in sales
Old 9th April 2010, 12:13   #70
J.Ravi

First time I am seeing Fiat Punto [956] trailing behind Fiat Linea [1203].

Old 9th April 2010, 12:25   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
i believe too much is being written on the drop in sales of alto. The upgradation to euro 4 is d reason. I sight the same reason for drop in sales of punto as well. April will actually shows what is the reason for the drop in sales
Common be realistic, FIAT is still struggling to clear its old stocks.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:52   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
Looks like ALTO is the most affected due to FIGO launch.
I think Alto is affected by Eeco, not by Figo. Even though Eeco numbers have not shown any massive improvement, it added to its waiting list, I think. Remember, Maruti has production limitations for Eeco, as they didn't expect such a good response for Eeco.

IMO, Figo will affect Swift and i20. Though the numbers are not reduced for these two models thanks to the waiting list, it will surely come down after 3-4 months. Obvious sign: now i20 at a price range starting from Rs 4.5 Lakhs! (Another reason for i20 @ 4.5L may be the capacity released in the Indian plant because Hyundai moved the production of some of the export i20s (3-door models) to the Turkey plant).
Old 9th April 2010, 13:11   #73
BHPian

Thanks a ton Karpusv. You are getting me addicted to these model-wise numbers. Feels something missing if not seen every month. Keep em coming, by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
The next segment that is going to get a shake up is the sedan segment with the
Etios sedan,polo sedan,and the new fiesta.
The huge success of dzire and manza (and even the premium hatchbacks) shows that this is indeed going to be the next big thing. Like the i10 has comprehensively proved, people are ready to pay a premium for modern, cool features and better quality when compared to marutis and tatas. Feel not many manufacturers are seeing this opportunity though. Good compact, fuel efficient sedans on modern platforms should sell real well. Maybe manufacturers are now more concerned with utilising the excise benefits for <4m and <1.2P/1.5diesel engines.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:31   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Amazing sales of the 3-seres! At 298 units it even beats the Accord!

I'm surprised that the Corolla Altis sells more than the Civic and Cruze even when the latter two are much better than the Toyota.
The real comparison should be of Altis' G and GL variant no.s with the Civic and Cruze no.s. The J variant is almost the hotel taxi segment and therefore does not reflect true buyer behavior comparison.

May be difficult to get this breakup by variant, however.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:36   #75
BHPian

I am trying to look at segment wise numbers by manufacturer from the spreadsheet above. alto, i10 etc are A2. Small sedans (city, linea) are A3. What segment are Swift, i20 etc. ?

Most Viewed