Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 13:19   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Hyundai has changed the game in the indian market by offering solid, value for money and well built cars that are quite comparable to any other brand in the market (Maruti does not figure in the list here w.r.t to quality). Yes the i10 and i20 are on par with punto as far as shutting door is concerned. Cannot comment on Jazz as i have not tried it.
Well, fair enough, I agree Hyundai does make good quality cars. In the last paragraph of my previous post, I said something similar. However, it's my personal opinion that the Punto feels more solidly built. Don't the doors feel a lot heavier and the slam of the doors a lot meatier?
Old 15th April 2010, 13:27   #167
Senior - BHPian

If the thud of the doors and the sheet metal thickness are paramount, why not just buy good old Amby!
Old 15th April 2010, 13:31   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If the thud of the doors and the sheet metal thickness are paramount, why not just buy good old Amby!
Were you one of the 1000 plus people who bought the Amby this month?
Old 15th April 2010, 13:33   #169
Senior - BHPian

Ha ha, nope, I am the Altoman!
Old 15th April 2010, 14:22   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Maruti does not figure in the list here w.r.t to quality
Maruti does not even qualify?

I dont agree at all. Marui has some concerns over quality few years back but after Swift they have changed the game. Swift, SX4, Ritz, Dzire & A-star are certainly good cars in quality also. That's the reason those are even sold in out of India market & are successful. MS makes suitable cars for Indian conditions & thats why they are market leaders.

Selling every second car in India is not a joke with so many players available in the market. & yes it is not possible without quality !!!
Old 15th April 2010, 14:38   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Maruti does not even qualify?
That's right! Maruti cars have no quality, they are tin cans on wheels, they are bought by the aam admi who will not know quality even if beaten on their heads with it, they don't know what is good for them and we petrol heads should educate them, blah...blah..blah!

Come on guys, give us a break! Don't some of the posts sound pompous and presumptuous to even yourselves?

Last edited by Gansan : 15th April 2010 at 14:40.
Old 15th April 2010, 16:12   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's right! Maruti cars have no quality, they are tin cans on wheels, they are bought by the aam admi who will not know quality even if beaten on their heads with it, they don't know what is good for them and we petrol heads should educate them, blah...blah..blah!

Come on guys, give us a break! Don't some of the posts sound pompous and presumptuous to even yourselves?
I guess you also use Maruti only & still you are saying it has no quality? If so then why are you using it? Just curious to know.
Old 15th April 2010, 16:21   #173
BHPian

Quote:
I guess you also use Maruti only & still you are saying it has no quality? If so then why are you using it? Just curious to know.
Aniketi, Gansan is not saying that! Understand the sarcasm!
Old 15th April 2010, 16:32   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Aniketi, Gansan is not saying that! Understand the sarcasm!
@aniketi
I meant the exact opposite, of course! That was a barb directed at guys who get preachy and condescending towards us Maruti owners!
Old 15th April 2010, 16:59   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
True, people don't seem to realize how unsafe our roads are. Buying a well built car (with active and passive safety features) should come naturally to people who value the lives of themselves and their families. The Punto and the Figo both offer safety features in a fantastic VFM package. The Punto ekes out the Ford a bit though, because of the vault like build (shut the Punto door from the inside, then do the same in any car in the segment, including the jazz), nothing comes close.
What frightens me is the fact that a sales rep. tells prospective clients that cars like the Hyundai i20 have "phive star safety", so people think that if they buy a i20 Magna Crdi, which is almost the same price as the Punto Epack 1.3MJD, they are equally safe. Which is a joke, as the 5-star NCAP rating is for the i20 equipped with the 6 airbags.
Well, you have written out what exactly was in my mind a few days back. We had a Hyundai road show in our office last week and I took TD of both its premium offerings, the i20 and the verna, both of which I have never driven before.

Believe me as soon as I started driving these cars, I could feel that these cars are very light and felt half the weight of a Fiat. It made me wonder why these cars are being sold at such high prices. Both the cars lacked solidity which is needed to withstand high, or even light, impact crashes.

Coming to the drive, the cars felt like they were built to act like robots, they were lifeless. Yes, the steering was light and the gear shifts easy. But the cars didn't connect to me at all. I felt like driving a boat which had a steering and pedals.

One of the other reasons why Fiat doesn't interest many in India is - most of the people who plan to buy a car in India are beginners in driving, so when they try a Hyundai or a Maruti, the super light steering wheel and gears creates a notion that these cars are the best to drive. Only later do they realize, that driving pleasure is different from easy drving.

Fiat is moving in the right direction, but it needs to be careful with its A.S.S and product portfolio to sustain in the future.
Old 15th April 2010, 17:02   #176
Senior - BHPian

It seems the Sumo is slowly clawing back into some significance after the recent upgrade. That said theres no split between the new and older versions of the Sumo.
Old 15th April 2010, 17:39   #177
Senior - BHPian

I am quite happy to see Figo's performance. Initial hoopla or whatever, its a good number by any standards. This hatch is truly VFM and I hope it is backed by competent after sales.

On a sidenote, it does pain me to see people's rigidity towards how they perceive a brand. Just the other day, I was speaking to one of my buddies about the Figo, how VFM it is .... blah blah. He immediately snapped back saying "I will never again buy a Ford (he owned a Fusion petrol, now sold). So darned costly to maintain and a fuel guzzler". He maintained his opinion even when I suggested that it was a different product, different time etc. He did not have a response to that but he refused to budge.

PS - I am no Ford fan. Never owned one. Currently drive a Fiat (Linea). However, I am happy with the value offering from Ford. It sure will shake things up in its segment.
Old 15th April 2010, 20:04   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
It seems the Sumo is slowly clawing back into some significance after the recent upgrade. That said theres no split between the new and older versions of the Sumo.

+1

Recently I saw quite a few grandes and even grande mkII on road. Even had a ride back home in a mkII. Truly it is WAY ahead than the sumo victa.
Old 15th April 2010, 23:05   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
+1

Recently I saw quite a few grandes and even grande mkII on road. Even had a ride back home in a mkII. Truly it is WAY ahead than the sumo victa.
I guess that has been the trend with the Tata vehicles, especially post the Indica launch, people are having a wait and watch strategy even if the vehicle mean lot of VFM in them.

Thats why I am telling the Indica VISTA numbers are just a curtain raiser, once Tata proves their quality point these cars are set to upset many in its category for the VFM that it provides. Same with the Manza too.
Old 16th April 2010, 09:20   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@aniketi
I meant the exact opposite, of course! That was a barb directed at guys who get preachy and condescending towards us Maruti owners!
I misread it, sorry !!!

Happy to see that many people loving Maruti

Does Maruti got benefit from its name also? Maruti? Its name of God ... Very familiar in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks