Team-BHP - More Sales or Less Sales
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   More Sales or Less Sales (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/79187-more-sales-less-sales.html)

I was just going through the March Sales figures thread when I just started to wonder if it is good to see the car you own/bought has high sales volume, is a segment leader, posts reasonable sales or is it the other way around?? i.e., would it be good to see that the car is selling less volumes than competition which in turn would mean that the car is less to be seen on roads, will have some heads turning, which also means it is easier to spot in parking lots :eek: (I wonder what would happen to those who own say a red swift for that matter!!!). A car which sells more will have a better resale value but would be a little difficult to sell since there would be more of similar kind in market.

there are many more reasons for one to think either-wise, so here I present a poll to find what the general opinion of our community is.

more volume means less exclusivity, great resale, better accessories after market, less sale means people look trying to figure out the loser behind the wheels of a failed car :P this is my quick opinion. no offence meant

Of course less.
Just look at Swifts or Altos - they are there in every road, every parking lot, that too 100s of them at a glance! Because if which, the car has lost its specialty or rather, road presence. Here in Kerala, every 5th car you see is a Swift VDi and every second car is an Alto. :)

I definitely don't want to see my car too commonly used. The feeling of exclusivity is great!

I personally don't care if the car I own is hit on the sales chart or a flop. I agree to the fact that more sales means great resale and so on.
If you are driving a car like say Palio 1.6 which did not do wonders with respect to sales figures, you can still take on "highly successful" cars in its segment and show them who is the looser!!!
Other examples which I can think of is Lancer, Punto, Ikon.

I would like to say i prefer exclusivity than seeing the car i drive in every nook and corner, but resale value is decided on how popular the car is. I end up loosing quite a lot when i decide to sell it a few years down the line..

I voted for less
PS : I consider people buying cars selling in less numbers as those who have bought what they liked instead of blindly buying what others liked. Of course this does not mean all others buy blindly.

Voted for more.

I'd prefer to drive a car which has sufficient sales to ensure that spares are easily available. I'd rather have people seeing me in a Swift than a Palio. I don't know why people give you that loser look when driving one of those. No offence meant to Fiat Palio owners.

Definitely the best seller. So that the resale value will be good when I decide to change it. While buying a new car, that is.

For buying used cars, just do the opposite! And if one wants exclusivity, simply buy a super car or buy the SAN Storm! There may not be another specimen in the entire city!

IMHO, To make heads turn and gain exclusivity, you have to move higher segments not choose a loosing car.

Buyers of unpopular/lesser selling models will obviously vote for "Less" and then cite "Exclusivity" as the reason. :D.

The fact is, to me it doesn't really matter whether the car i own sells more or less, as long as the spare part availability, maintainance and general performance/reliability of the car is good and acceptable.

So i won't vote. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 1827853)
Buyers of unpopular/lesser selling models will obviously vote for "Less" and then cite "Exclusivity" as the reason. :D.

The fact is, to me it doesn't really matter whether the car i own sells more or less, as long as the spare part availability, maintainance and general performance/reliability of the car is good and acceptable.

So i won't vote. :)

i think you are right, but what if you have two or more cars which can be mixed bag then.
i myself own bestsellers apart from fabia, yet i prefer that my car sells less, not that it is a complete flop like ford fusion.

I voted for "more", because there was no option telling "I don't care". Otherwise, that would have been my answer. For me, I take a test drive of the car which I plan to buy and if it satisfies my checklist, it doesn't really matter to me whether it set the sales chart on fire or poured water on it :)

I voted for more because:
- I don't like the whole concept of being the center for attention. In bigger cities, it is important to make a statement when you arrive, but at the same time, it is important that you don't make a LOUD statement which would make people look at you in a negative light. Like in Mumbai, I would rather be driven around in an E Class than a S Class because the S Class isn't common enough and people make assumptions. In the case of smaller cars, being the center of attention means lack of privacy and people asking you questions about the car wherever you go. Ask any Nano owner.
- Easy spares available and mechanics have worked on the car as well. Ask any Fiat owner how difficult it is to find a GOOD independent garage for their car. Similarly, if they open up the dash or seats to install accessories, they may not know how to put it back, specially if this is the first car they worked on.
- Easy availability of accessories. Even simple ones like alloy wheels. Show me a variety of alloy wheels in 98PCD for Fiats, available easily in India, at a reasonable price.

There should be an option - I don't really care about the sales figure

If I did care though, I would be hoping for lesser of those cars on the roads (hoping that the car did not fail in sales because it was a bad car but for other reasons)

edit: just saw A350XWB's reply and I have the same opinion.

I voted for more for the following reasons:
1. More sales means that the car is generally reliable & easy on pocket (comparatively).
2. Resale value will be higher
3. Ease of service & repairs (including availability of spares).
4. Sometimes being anonymous (part of the cattle class) makes sense.