Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 12:24   #91
Senior - BHPian

If thats the case then i am eagerly waiting for someone to point out some plus points of the BS4 Alto apart from the newly changed motor and FE
Old 14th April 2010, 12:45   #92
Senior - BHPian

We may crib about the BS4 Alto as being cheap, but not all the buyers think the same. For them it would be the same old Alto at a cheaper price (most probably). This will only help the sales in the short term.
I read somebody post that the seats are same as i10. Please note that even the Nano has similar seats, but, the quality of the seats need not be the same in each.

I still wish they had plonked the 1l K series motor instead of upgrading the 800 cc engine. Wonder why have they phased out the good old M800 when the 800cc was to be retuned. I foresee another upgrade to 1l K series motor in a couple of years.
Old 14th April 2010, 13:09   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Looking at the interior pictures posted by dodge_v1per i think the color of dashboard is also full black and not light grey as in BS3. Compare it to the color of AC vents one can see the similarity. Also noted the Full black hazard warning switch with red marking on it. Seems it also helped MS in cost cutting.
Actually the ac vents in alto are of grey color. Thats why they match with the dash.
Old 14th April 2010, 17:43   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
We may crib about the BS4 Alto as being cheap, but not all the buyers think the same. For them it would be the same old Alto at a cheaper price (most probably). This will only help the sales in the short term.
I read somebody post that the seats are same as i10. Please note that even the Nano has similar seats, but, the quality of the seats need not be the same in each.

I still wish they had plonked the 1l K series motor instead of upgrading the 800 cc engine. Wonder why have they phased out the good old M800 when the 800cc was to be retuned. I foresee another upgrade to 1l K series motor in a couple of years.
The ET article (link below) mentions something else:

Maruti to relaunch Alto with new engine; to price it up to Rs 2 lakhs-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

... Alto also getting the 1l K series engine.

The image earlier posts (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1835550-post50.html) probably suggests something on the similar lines.

I would welcome this as I believe the 1l engine is best suited for this car.

Still confused about the engine spec
Old 15th April 2010, 10:35   #95
Senior - BHPian

I came across this article that lead to more confusion.

Source : Maruti to relaunch Alto with new engine; to price it up to Rs 2 lakhs

Article :

Quote:
Maruti to relaunch Alto with new engine; to price it up to Rs 2 lakhs
NEW DELHI: India's largest car maker Maruti Suzuki is all set to bring on the road a revamped and cheaper Alto. Maruti feels that now is the best time to launch a stripped down version of its largest selling car. It sells close to 20,000 Altos every month making it India's best selling car model.

Maruti hopes the leaner Alto will not only help it counter competition from new cars in the markets but also replace the iconic Maruti 800 which is being phased out. Sources told ET Now that the new Alto will have a 1 litre K-Series Engine and will be priced up to Rs 2 lakh.

Maruti Chairman, RC Bhargava said: "The Alto will not be much more expensive than the 800 and we will keep trying to do whatever we can to make it more and more affordable."

"The car will be in showrooms in the next couple of months but don't expect major changes in design. The company doesn't want to change the design of its highly successful car model and its not just Alto, Maruti is planning to refresh its entire car line up a new Wagon R which is also expected before end of April," Bhargava added.

Maruti on Saturday said that it had invested Rs 290 crore in upgrading its hatchback WagonR that will be rolled out from a new platform with a new engine by end of this month.
Is it possible for us to conclude the following facts :

1) As of now, the car is coming with upgraded F8D or rather modified F8D that manages to meet BS-4 norms. As of now this is the set up that will allow Suzuki to sell cars all over India. This car is now available widely as recently, I think a couple of days ago, I saw an add in a local daily that now BS-4 Alto is available.

2) Simultaneously, Suzuki is working on K10B installed Alto. This car will be stripped down version of the current car and will be launched after a couple of months.

So, when K10B Alto is available, is it possible that the F8D Alto will be discontinued ?

Or the F8D will eventually be stripped down and the K10B Alto will sell at current price ?
Old 15th April 2010, 10:55   #96
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
Aren't we going a bit overboard with the cheap charges ?
=============
At the end of the day, the main thing that's cheap about the Alto is its price. It ticks all the right boxes when it comes to ownership experience at that price.
I agree. In fact, in my Alto, I do not recall having rested my head on the head-rest ever. I have never really understood the head-"rests". I believe they protect the neck from snapping in case of sudden acceleration or when the car is rear-ended.
Old 15th April 2010, 11:35   #97
Senior - BHPian

Is Suzuki planning to retain the existing 3 variants with the existing engine tuned for BS-IV at lower prices and re-introduce the Vxi with the K-series engine at a higher price ? Totally confused by the news-reports.
Old 15th April 2010, 12:11   #98
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Read the thread from start to finish. Quite, honestly, the revised changes do not go down well with me and am glad to own a BS III version.

Some of the changes (stickers, interior center console, wheel rims, gauges) make me cringe, but then MUL's strategy for this is clear since the Alto will now replace the M 800 in a number of metros.
Old 15th April 2010, 14:37   #99
BHPian

I heard from a friend at MSIL that they have not only compromised on quality to bring the costs down, but even the brake boosters are 'smaller' than the current alto!
Old 15th April 2010, 14:43   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The market has been waking up for more than a decade and a half! I guess it will take a little more time!
How do you explain Maruti's marketshare falling from 88% or so to 50% today? People are indeed waking up everyday. No one wants to see Maruti's marketshare at 0% either so you need not be so defensive in nearly every post of yours about Maruti or the Alto.

Last edited by Gilead : 15th April 2010 at 14:46.
Old 15th April 2010, 14:46   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
How do you explain Maruti's marketshare falling from 88% or so to 50% today? People are indeed waking up everyday.
That was but expected! But holding on to even 50% market share is a big achievement. If you are referring to March sales figures, I would wait a couple of months before deciding. I suspect it to be mere supply side constraints.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:14   #102
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
I heard from a friend at MSIL that the brake boosters are 'smaller' than the current alto!
You are right. One look at the pics of the engine compartment and I noticed that the booster was indeed a little smaller.
Old 15th April 2010, 19:38   #103
BHPian

Just read in Zigwheels that the new Alto will be priced approx. 2 lacs. Maruti is trying to reduce the cost of Alto and trying to bring the cost same as Maruti 800. The basic design remains the same.
Old 15th April 2010, 19:59   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
I heard from a friend at MSIL that they have not only compromised on quality to bring the costs down, but even the brake boosters are 'smaller' than the current alto!

Right!!
What next in the name of cost cutting? remove the rear wheel brakes (like removing the rear power windows)?
Isn't there any standard that a car of x weight must have a brake booster which is of y power?
Old 15th April 2010, 20:02   #105
BHPian

New Maruti Alto at Rs. 2 Lakh

Excerpt from CarTradeindia.com

Maruti Suzuki is ready to re-introduce its flagship model Maruti Alto in the Indian market with an upgraded engine. The new model will be a stripped down version with a new engine which is compliant with the new BS IV stage norms. The new Alto with K series engine will be priced at Rs. 2 lakh and above. "The Alto will not be much more expensive than the 800 and we will keep trying to do whatever we can to make it more and more affordable," said RC Bhargava, MSIL Chairman.

MSIL is phasing out M800 model and the new Alto is its flagship model. Maruti sells close to 20,000 Altos every month. "The car will be in showrooms in the next couple of months but don’t expect major changes in design. The company doesn’t want to change the design of its highly successful car model and its not just Alto, Maruti is planning to refresh its entire car line up a new Wagon R which is also expected before end of April," Bhargava added.

Guys, if this is true, then I am sure that this is going to be selling like hot cakes and the sales target would surely increase to much more than the current levels. The lowest priced Alto is around 2.32K exshowroom Delhi and seems that Maruti has lowered prices by about 30K,

Regarding the rear badging, one can always get the Alto badgings from the outside or even from the MASS, I know that they dont cost that bomb,

The question is "What happens to the Nano now", even that would be priced similarly and I presume Alto is a better car than Nano, has more after sales outside market accessories and the best part does not have any of the horrific fire stories attached to it before mass sales, It will definitely rule the A segment for sure, Nano can perhaps continue with the novelty factor attached to it

Last edited by shantanumishra : 15th April 2010 at 20:07.

Most Viewed