Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 00:17   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
So Alto will be in production for another 5 years atleast.

I am sure they ll keep producing editions of 'All new' Swift for another 25 years and Wagon R for 15 years.
I think MUL can rename thier tag line as 'Never say Die' or something like that.
+1

Look at the new alto - I just have a four letter word for it Yuck!

This is one step backwards from Suzuki. The seat fabrics look like my store-room curtain! Plastics look cheap - Did Suzuki guys even have a look at Chevy Spark quality? Heck, even Nano interiors are better. I will not even start on the "all new sticker logo".

These changes will only make sense if they plan to price it at a discount to the current model. I think they may be positioning it lower and cheaper. If they retain the same price, Alto would certainly get butchered by i10, spark etc - there is no way it can maintain its current sales figures if that happens.

Last edited by SunilM : 13th April 2010 at 00:18.
Old 13th April 2010, 00:34   #32
BHPian

Worst and cheapest Dashboard I have ever seen.
I wont be surprised if the price is increased for this
Old 13th April 2010, 02:42   #33
BHPian

I too believe that this is a result of cost cutting. The dashboard looks extremely bare. And whats up with the speedo clocking 180? But then again, this is the entry model (?). Could we expect the higher trims to pack more equipment?
Old 13th April 2010, 02:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
But then again, this is the entry model (?). Could we expect the higher trims to pack more equipment?
What you see in the pics is the so called full option LXi model.
Old 13th April 2010, 03:57   #35
BHPian

Interiors look more down market than the BS3 Alto. I think Maruti should change their slogan to: Maruti - We make cutting edge cars

With a disclaimer in small print which reads - "Cutting Edge as defined 20, 25 years ago" !!
Old 13th April 2010, 06:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Interiors look more down market than the BS3 Alto. I think Maruti should change their slogan to: Maruti - We make cutting edge cars

With a disclaimer in small print which reads - "Cutting Edge as defined 20, 25 years ago" !!

Cutting edge!!

the dash and area around it looks like a science project from some good university student.
Maruti shall pay for this el cheapo mentality - atleast in the city.
Old 13th April 2010, 08:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

It feels great to have bought my Alto Lxi before the conversion. This BS4 is totally looking cheap. Looking at those badges remind me of the conversion of the BS2 800 to BS3 one. Same policy was opted and the chrome emblems were replaced with cheaper stick on ones. The wheel rims remind me of the rear rims of trucks which have the capability to add side by side wheels. The engine head does not have SUZUKI 12 Valve marking. And not to mention that S badge on the hatch looks ugly positioned. I think its the same one which is used on front grill.
BTW i don't get the change on the tail light lenses? (amber tail light lenses)
Old 13th April 2010, 08:46   #38
Team-BHP Support

To replace 800?

Guys, with the 800 gone (Atleast in metros) - the Alto is going to take its place soon. This is pretty evident from the pics.

Signs of cost cutting everywhere, which could only hint at a price war! I believe this is also the reason why Maruti didnt plonk the K series engine in the Alto as well.

However, it looks cheap compared to the current Alto. Hopefully, the price tag will justify it.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th April 2010 at 08:47.
Old 13th April 2010, 08:51   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have always seen body colored bumpers in Alto Lxi. However, the both cars shown in the pics do not have body colored bumpers. Hopefully prices would be reduced.
Old 13th April 2010, 08:55   #40
BHPian

Alto is the new 800
MUL is making the alto to compete with Nano...
Old 13th April 2010, 09:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have always seen body colored bumpers in Alto Lxi. However, the both cars shown in the pics do not have body colored bumpers. Hopefully prices would be reduced.
The body colored bumpers are not offered in Alto Lxi from factory. Only Alto Vx series constituted them.One can get them colored in body color from the dealer at a cost of Rs. 3500. As many dealers offer this option as a freebie during festivals and such, that is why you must have noticed it on many wheels.
BTW they are surely a waste of money as paint tends to chip off very quickly.

Last edited by samsag12 : 13th April 2010 at 09:05.
Old 13th April 2010, 09:18   #42
BANNED

If anything it looks like a downgrade to the previous Alto. I wonder if the sales figures will remain or will they suffer
Old 13th April 2010, 10:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

No, I didn't TD the car.
The price increase is about RS. 2,000.

Cost cutting is evident everywhere. At least the car is not prone to catch fire easily.
Maybe is this a stop gap before the car gets a 2 cylinder YP3 motor, as rumored?

But I am amazed as how come a 30 year old motor is made BS4 compliant. I too was expecting at least a 2 cylinder K8B engine.

Last edited by sidindica : 13th April 2010 at 10:20.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2010, 10:23   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
No, I didn't TD the car.
The price increase is about RS. 2,000.

Cost cutting is evident everywhere. At least the car is not prone to catch fire easily.
Maybe is this a stop gap before the car gets a 2 cylinder YP3 motor, as rumored?

But I am amazed as how come a 30 year old motor is made BS4 compliant. I too was expecting at least a 2 cylinder K8B engine.
I agree with you Sid. And one more thing that surprises me is they have cut cost everywhere , I mean not an inch is spared from cost-cut and still they manage to hike the cost by 2000Rs. MSIL does have nerves of steel.

--Vikrant
Old 13th April 2010, 10:39   #45
BANNED

Alto is all set to become Maruti's cheapest car. In fact, they may even reduce the price further so as to give some competition to the Nano since their own small car project has been shelved officially.

Most Viewed