Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 10:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Everything points to only one thing. Cost cutting. I can't believe they hiked prices for this. I was expecting something like 30k off after seeing the snaps. The instrument panel is a straight lift from the Eeco. The Eeco makes much more sense that this now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
But I am amazed as how come a 30 year old motor is made BS4 compliant.
That's Maruti Suzuki for you. AFAIK, there is a model which MSIL is secretly developing at its R&D centre in India. This is supposed to be a low cost one, entirely designed and developed in India. If everything goes fine, should be out on the roads two years from now.

Last edited by longhorn : 13th April 2010 at 11:00.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:57   #47
BHPian

Oh my god! Looks plain cheap and ugly!! The amber tail lamp, not needed. The dashboard looks ultra-cheap. I bet my 8 year old niece can do better!!

Mumbaikars, meet your new Taxi!!
Old 13th April 2010, 10:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if there is any change in Engine specs? specially Engine power output?
Old 13th April 2010, 11:20   #49
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Since I am Alto owner, was slightly concerned since last few months that a "All new" Alto would be launched soon or Cervo might end up replacing Alto altogether. I do not want to part with my Alto soon, but at the same time, do not want to drive a discontinued model. So, in a way, thank you Maruti !! :-)
Parle used to sell a pack of 100gm Glucose biscuits for 4 Rs a few years back. As the prices of raw material increased over a period of time, Parle had the option of increasing the price from 4 to 5 Rs. But that would mean a 25% increase in price and the backlash would be severe. So instead they kept the price point of 4 Rs and just reduced the quantity, from 100gm to 90gm initially and now I belive it is still lower.
I believe Maruti is doing the same, keeping the price relatively same by giving less. Looking at their "ultra-price-sensitive" target customer-segment, looks like a decent strategy.

PS : Sid, any news on the FE of the BS-IV ?

Last edited by SDP : 13th April 2010 at 11:29. Reason: Missed a point. Now added as PS.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:27   #50
BHPian

Slumming

With the demise of the M800, the Alto now shoulders the dubious title of Maruti's cheapest car. Owning an almost decade old Alto, I cannot believe how much has been let go in the name of cost cutting. The new 2-tone dash appears to be a change for the sake of change !

The major change I can see from the engine bay pics is that the distributor's gone, I guess it's now a variation of the DDLI system found in the rest of the Maruti engines. I'm curious to know how Maruti has adapted it for the 3-cylinder engine. The EGR system also appears to be beefed up.

First Pics-2010 BS 4 alto-bs4_alto_enginebay.jpg

A pic of the exhaust from within the engine bay would be nice - I wonder if the CAT's been moved & if it has changed in size. And definitely no drive-by-wire here

Last edited by im_srini : 13th April 2010 at 11:29.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:30   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Maybe is this a stop gap before the car gets a 2 cylinder YP3 motor, as rumored?
What! The Alto may get a 2 cyl engine? Is this a real rumor?

Gansan, you seeing this? Based on what you said in the Nano thread, it looks like even the Alto would not be a 'proper' car soon with Phat Phat sounds etc. Interiors are already looking worse than a Nano's.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
What! The Alto may get a 2 cyl engine? Is this a real rumor?

Gansan, you seeing this? Based on what you said in the Nano thread, it looks like even the Alto would not be a 'proper' car soon with Phat Phat sounds etc. Interiors are already looking worse than a Nano's.
LOL, why do you think I bought it last June and not wait for the BS IV version?
Old 13th April 2010, 11:51   #53
Senior - BHPian

About engine temperature

I hope there is a digital engine temperature gauge in that little Digital Display.

Now that we have a list of cars that trash the very useful engine temperature gauge; how is a hot engine determined? I am guessing it is just a small light that might come on to indicate this & I am sure this light will not be visible during daytime. So lets say that this light comes on; is the engine already steaming or is it a preliminary warning?

I once saw a over heated Honda Civic (very rare). No major steaming but I could see a little steam coming out from some point in the engine bay. Makes me wonder when that car would have last gone to Honda for a check up or it could have been a case of some rubber hose getting damaged due to low ground clearance.Now this is a car that has a digital engine temperature gauge that is very visible. Most don't even watch this gauge and manufacturers expect owners to spot a tiny light in the instrument binnacle.
Old 13th April 2010, 12:08   #54
BHPian

They have taken cost cutting to an extreme. Did anybody notice the loss of ribs and markings on the aluminium head, air filter box etc? It looks smooth with no markings, not even a 'Maruti suzuki' on it! The interior fit and finish has further gone down. The 2-DIN audio system earlier had a recess to store cds but now its just a flat cover to sale more grams of plastic. The sticker job was expected. Maruti had already tried this for the Alto by replacing badges with stickers. Serves two jobs - its very cheap and Keeps vandals away.
Maruti = Cost cutting on cheaper models

Last edited by designersf : 13th April 2010 at 12:09.
Old 13th April 2010, 12:38   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

The Alto was already poor with regard to plastics. However, Good job by Maruti to do some cost cutting in a car which was already bare.

Somebody mentioned Cutting edge technology, I would prefer to call cost cutting edge technology for Maruti.
Old 13th April 2010, 13:05   #56
BANNED

By moving the top-sellers Wagon-R up a bit and Alto low a bit, it is almost clear that Maruti is making way for the soon-to-be-launched Cervo at around 3 Lakh price range!

And, at a later stage, they may stop selling the low-selling (compared to other Maruti models, not with competitors) Estilo And A-Star in Indian Market.

Again, my assumption!
Old 13th April 2010, 13:08   #57
Senior - BHPian

I dont find anything different in the current Alto.Can someone point out the changes?
Old 13th April 2010, 13:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
LOL, why do you think I bought it last June and not wait for the BS IV version?
Yeah right, as if you knew last June that the BS4 Alto was going to look like this. But a good decision in hindsight nevertheless. Maruti followers will know this is not new. There was a similar downgrade in the M800 when it was 'upgraded' from BS2 to BS3. Similar stickers, worse quality fabric on the seats and doors started sounding more tinny.

Now the question is, will the Wagon R see a similar downgrade?
Old 13th April 2010, 13:26   #59
BHPian

the ad caption can go 'the cheap just got cheaper'. any leads on the official launch of the Wagon R?
Old 13th April 2010, 13:37   #60
BHPian

I am puking all over my PC as I type this out.

Maruti is going to hell for this.

'Nuff Said.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks