Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 17:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a sharper version of the Figo!
Old 9th July 2010, 17:43   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Looks like a sharper version of the Figo!
When you see it in real life, it looks really awful. It is also available in a fluorescent green colour, that makes one go .
Old 9th July 2010, 18:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Amartya. I have seen Soul in flesh (hehehe, sounds funny) in South Africa, and when I first saw it, I couldn't figure out what kinda car it is (MUV, small car, station wagon...). But it seems have gained popularity there, thanks to their FIFA World Cup sponsorship.
Old 9th July 2010, 18:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
When you see it in real life, it looks really awful. It is also available in a fluorescent green colour, that makes one go .
its getting quite popular in states, it is more or less like Scion xB which will make you puke. Also Nissan Cube.

These 3 are supposed to be like that and people are buying it. Funnily, in the shootout, Soul wins.
Old 9th July 2010, 20:03   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
its getting quite popular in states, it is more or less like Scion xB which will make you puke. Also Nissan Cube.

These 3 are supposed to be like that and people are buying it. Funnily, in the shootout, Soul wins.
Correct on all counts. It is indeed getting popular, and between the ones you have mentioned, it is indeed the better one. Surprises me how people like to be seen in these cars.
Old 9th July 2010, 20:20   #51
BHPian

[quote=rajchetan;1973994]I doubt Kia would be coming to India, keeping in mind that Kai is basically sharing platforms with Hyundai.

This is the case in all the markets. Both the cars exist side by side. It would be a nice move if they introduced their cars in India. Let the Indian public decide whether they are good or otherwise.
Old 10th March 2011, 08:50   #52
BHPian

Re: Kia Motors in India -> Plans Shelved

NEW DELHI: While every carmaker across the world is vying for India's auto market, the second fastest growing in the world, Korea's second largest automobile company Kia Motors has shelved its plans to start operations in India, a senior company official said Monday.

Kia Motors, a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Company , has not found the Indian market lucrative enough for its global expansion, the official said. The company will continue to concentrate on developed markets such as Europe, China, and the US where it has local production facilities.

"Our hands are full right now. Currently we are not looking at India but concentrating on other overseas markets where we aim to produce over 1 million cars this year. We will, however, continue to monitor the Indian market as it holds sizeable potential and may be on our future radar," company spokesman Michael J Choo said.

Kia, known globally for its sporty designed cars, is one of the fastest growing car companies in Korea and had been vying for the Indian market for the past decade, particularly after the success of Hyundai Motor which is now the second largest car company in the country in terms of unit sales. Hyundai's sales jumped 17% year-on-year to 2.94 lakh cars in April-January.

Kia had earlier roped in consultancy company Synovate to conduct a feasibility study for the Indian market. However, despite a positive report - as its portfolio largely consists of hatchbacks like Picanto and smaller sedans like Cerato - that forms the largest chunk of cars sold in India, Kia has decided not to enter the local market.

The company is concentrating on high margin markets like Europe, China, and the US, which jointly form over 80% of the world automobile market and where it has started new facilities in recent past.

SOURCE:
Kia Motors shelves plans to start operations in India - The Economic Times
Old 10th March 2011, 10:39   #53
BHPian

Re: Kia Motors in India

As KIA is a a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Company, so KIA don't want to destroy the Hyundai market in India.

The product line of both the company are almost same. Even they share the same platform, engine etc.

One more Hyundai (Read KIA) may not success in India.

The above are may be a reason for KIA Motors has shelved its plans to start operations in India.
Old 10th March 2011, 11:02   #54
Senior - BHPian

In pakistan Hyundai produce last generation Santro i.e Santro Xing and Latest generation Kia Picanto. so both cars are getting good response
Old 10th March 2011, 11:07   #55
BHPian

Having owned a Kia (Sedona, minivan) in the US, I can say this - There was nothing exceptional to write home about , but that is what a minivan is for - pure people mover. The features I got at the price I paid compensated for everything else.
Old 11th October 2011, 18:49   #56
BHPian

Kia In India

Friends,

I've been seeing a lot of the Kia adverts on one of the sports channels these days - especially when some of the American programs (baseball, x-games etc) are being shown.

So my question is this: Is Hyundai deliberately allowing those ads to be shown thereby trying to establish a foundation for the brand? A quick Google search reveals a couple of links to Kia eyeing India entry next year? Basically - is there any corelation between the ads and their plans?

Cheers!
Old 11th October 2011, 19:03   #57
BHPian

Re: Kia In India

These are just US adverts shown when the feed is directly shown from the US for sports programs. I don't think we should read much into it.
Old 11th October 2011, 19:14   #58
BHPian

US Tennis player Andre Agaassi used to be KIA Sorento SUV's brand ambassdor and KIA has been with US sports ads for atleast since 2005 .
New KIA Piccanto is so CUTE hatch. It will do better than i10 if comes to India
Old 11th October 2011, 20:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

No, Kia will not enter the Indian market.

They did toy around with the idea but dropped it early this year. They have an exciting line up of cars, all based on existing Hyundai platforms, one would have thought that Kia has good potential.

But building the brand from scratch is no simple feat. I also think parents Hyundai had a huge say in this. The Korean giant has major plans for India and does not want its subsidiary to muddle its waters.

Kia Motors shelves plans to start operations in India - Economic Times
Old 11th October 2011, 20:02   #60
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO there is no need for Hyundai to introduce the KIA Brand in India. Duplication of infrastructure will do them no good. Hyundai has the complete range and there would be no value add in bring KIA into India. One of the important pieces of Hyundai's strategy in India is that they export a large part of their production. Had they just produced for the domestic market only, they may not have been this successful as the smaller numbers would not have given them the luxury of introducing multiple current models with a proper pricing strategy.

Cheers

KPS
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks