Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 02:37   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable request.
Old 16th April 2010, 02:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I wouldn't blame dealerships if they start photo-copying your licence prior to testdrives (as in the States).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
2: DownTown VW take your licence details prior to a TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
They already do this at most dealerships in north India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Nope, not a practice in chennai yet.
Many of the dealers do not even check if the person can drive when they go for a TD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
This is already being done at dealerships at Delhi and NaviMumbai/Thane. Maybe the sales guys at the higher end auto dealerships do not want to antagonize their prospective clients by asking for the D/Ls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable request.
They MUST photocopy/retain the drivers license when someone goes for a TD. I had mine photocopied when I went to test drive a 10 year old god-knows-how-many-hand car!
But in India - getting a fake DL is a kid's task, so wonder that DL retaining/photocopying would matter much if one is hell bent on stealing cars on way to TD.
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:49   #48
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Read in todays DNA that a brand new E Class was stolen from the showroom. Apparently, the car was sitting in the compound with the keys inside. Some joker walked in and drove off in an act of supreme confidence.

I doubt he will get far as:

1: Not many are around

2: It will need a service and the ECU will show up VIN no

unless it is smuggled out of the country
At last, the police found out the abandoned vehicle with a deflated tyre at Kamaraj Road, Bangalore, at 10 pm on 20 April 2010, according to today's Deccan Herald. Please see the attachment for more details.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Benz.pdf (21.1 KB, 647 views)

Last edited by J.Ravi : 22nd April 2010 at 09:57.

Old 22nd April 2010, 09:53   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
At last, the vehicle was found abandoned by the police with a deflated tyre at Kamaraj Road, Bangalore, at 10 pm on 20 April 2010, according to today's Deccan Herald. Please see the attachment for more details.
No Damages. Awesome. I had a feeling it was being disected somewhere in Shivajinagar . Aaah! All's well that ends well. But I did not get why he deflated the tyre ? I hope we can get some forensic evidence on who the clever shark was.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:01   #50
Team-BHP Support

DNA reports that it was found with significant damage to the undercarriage
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:02   #51
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
somewhere in Shivajinagar .
Kamaraj Road is near Shivajinagar!

Old 22nd April 2010, 10:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Kamaraj Road is near Shivajinagar!
Excellent so he decided against handing it over to Shivajinagar, as he did not get a decent deal from the Gujri guys is it ?
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

After reading this thread I am wondering how difficult/easy it is to drive away with a car.
For example, I recently test drove a Fiat Punto. The dealer was Wasan motors at Powai, Bombay.

Since they do not have enough parking space, the test drive cars are parked on the main road outside the premises.

The sales agent accompanied me and took the car keys from the security, he had filled a form and handed it over at the gate. After the test drive I parked the car at the same place and followed the SA inside to get the finance details.

As I was walking out the SA handed me the car keys and asked to drop it with the security at the gate. I duly did that of course

I mean seriously, what if I had come with the intention to steal the car? I could have walked away with the key and the car.

And to top it the TD car was not a proper TD car, I reckon the car belonged to one of the employees at the center, so even if someone steals the car it would not be easily recognisable.

Perhaps, we are T-BHPians should educate the sales agents and help in avoiding such incidents. I told the SA to be careful in handing over the car keys the way he did. Of course in my case he knew i worked right opposite his gate.

Apologies for the OT post.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:32   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

most dealerships in India dont even ask you if you have a valid license when you request a test drive - let alone take a photocopy of the license.
they do sometimes take your name and telephone number though.
but this is more for them to follow up and do a sales call after you have test driven the vehicle.
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:40   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
After reading this thread I am wondering how difficult/easy it is to drive away with a car.
For example, I recently test drove a Fiat Punto. The dealer was Wasan motors at Powai, Bombay.

Since they do not have enough parking space, the test drive cars are parked on the main road outside the premises.

The sales agent accompanied me and took the car keys from the security, he had filled a form and handed it over at the gate. After the test drive I parked the car at the same place and followed the SA inside to get the finance details.

As I was walking out the SA handed me the car keys and asked to drop it with the security at the gate. I duly did that of course

I mean seriously, what if I had come with the intention to steal the car? I could have walked away with the key and the car.

And to top it the TD car was not a proper TD car, I reckon the car belonged to one of the employees at the center, so even if someone steals the car it would not be easily recognisable.

Perhaps, we are T-BHPians should educate the sales agents and help in avoiding such incidents. I told the SA to be careful in handing over the car keys the way he did. Of course in my case he knew i worked right opposite his gate.

Apologies for the OT post.
The reason why they keep very limited fuel in the tank.
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:10   #56
BHPian

I'm not sure why the theif decided to deflate the tyres (i wonder if all 4 were done). From his perspective, he would have tried to abandon the car in a deserted area and quickly get off the vehicle. It might have taken quite sometime to deflate the tyres. Does this logic ring any bells for anyone here??
If at all stolen, i'm sure Sundaram will get refund from the Insurance company. So, its only Ins company's loss!
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:11   #57
BHPian

Kamaraj Road being around 2 km away from Sundaram !! Wow, this is one clever & daring thief ! Wonder what the cops were doing for the last few days ? Maybe they were busy with searching for more bombs around the cricket stadium ! Lets see if the cops are able to solve this one ?
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:36   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

I understand that those who deflate tyres from mischief just jam the valve with some grit or something.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:50   #59
BHPian

you know what??i think he would have forgotten how to change it from drive mode to parking mode or might not know how to go into reverse mode & finally let the car go
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:19   #60
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Kamaraj Road being around 2 km away from Sundaram !! Wow, this is one clever & daring thief ! Wonder what the cops were doing for the last few days ? Maybe they were busy with searching for more bombs around the cricket stadium ! Lets see if the cops are able to solve this one ?
Even if a cop did find it, would have maybe asked the driver- saar, can you take me for a round, that way can tell the kids at home, sat in a merc And then maybe when the guy would have dismounted to apprehend the driver from his door, the guy may have sped off again, just like we c in the movies
The question is, in this case if the driver just goes off to another small town, say even Kolar, puts a fake number plate and maybe repaints the ENTIRE car and drives around happily ever after?? Maybe on this, but guess none will bother about a stolen merc after a while, when they have so many missing people to find!

Last edited by bblost : 22nd April 2010 at 18:44. Reason: extra smiley removed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks