Team-BHP - Which commerical ticks for which type of car.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Which commerical ticks for which type of car. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/79505-commerical-ticks-type-car.html)

This thought-line came up seeing the way Punto and Figo are presented in commercials and the results in sales.

Which type of advertisement will click in India for which type of cars?

Well, we have cars
Presented in commercials as: the Gift for an Occasion, the Family Mover, the Performance Machine, the Durable Companion, the Mileage Maker, the Gizmo-Galore, the Status Enhancer etc.

Type of Cars: Small cars, Hatch backs, normal Sedans, Premium Sedans, SUVs

Shall we discuss which type of commercial would fly for which type of cars?

Please feel free to add to both the lists.

Link the car to family, that's all you need.

This thread should turn out to be interesting. I am adding those which have already clicked. Sorry Rajaji on taking off on a tangent here

The two ads that come to mind are for Maruti

1. Little Sardar playing with model car "Papa petrol khatam hi nahi hoonda" and

2. Red Swift on expressway piking up a hitch hiker with the tag line " India comes home in a Swift/Maruti."

Small Cars/Hatchbacks/normal Sedans---> Family Mover,Mileage Maker,Performance Machine(in the segment),Durable Companion.

Premium Sedans---> Performance Machine, largest in segment (dimensions),Gizmo-Galore,Status Enhancer,Gift for an Occasion.

SUV---> Performance Machine,Durable Companion,Gizmo-Galore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 1836590)
Red Swift on expressway piking up a hitch hiker with the tag line " India comes home in a Swift/Maruti."

One of the best ads if you ask me. They hit upon a point that is absolutely true and used it well.

As I see it, the Ad for Figo is grand success as a gentle young family car and for the Punto seems to be a failure, trying to show off as a performance machine.

The ad which really clicked me the original Safari Dicor Ad which was released in 2005. Those were the days when I used to travel 20-25 days in a month and the airport lounge had almost become like second home. I had first seen the ad in an airport and I could see me as the guy in the ad.
YouTube - Tata Safari Dicor - TV Commercial - "Reclaim your Life"

Really good job by the ad agency.

The i10 ad by SRK is one that I find very lame.

"Reclaim Your Life" commercial for Tata Safari.

YouTube - Tata Safari Commercial's (2002 - 2009) UPDATED!!

One can easily observe how the non reclaim ads fail to impress while the Lines series depict what Safari stands for in an Young Indian's mind.

And,

"Kuch Log Sumo Chalate Hain" for Tata Sumo Victa.
YouTube - Sumo Victa

The Safari Lines ads made the point (arguably) better than any other car commercial ever. The sumo ad although equally good, never affected the sales much. I guess it was positioned wrongly - Sumo became yellow board long before that ad.

Bottom line - any ad that properly catches the flight of imagination of the target audience, WORKs!

Another ad concept that I really liked. YouTube - TATA SUMO GRANDE MK II

Even though it hasn't been able to do anything to the sales of the vehicle but somehow I feel it is a very good ad.

Ford Fusion did the family thing with some thing like 'kuch bi karega'. Bombed at sales anyway. The family way or any way does not work sometimes beyond the perceptions of brand and model and resale, IMO.

The VW's young boy reserving his various level future cars was out of the box thinking and was a smash hit IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajaTaurus (Post 1837479)
The VW's young boy reserving his various level future cars was out of the box thinking and was a smash hit IMO.

Its actually a copy of an old Porsche ad

I liked the ad from Maruti to promote it's after sales Service. Along with the A.S.S, it automatically reinforced the brand value too.

The add was about a infant wailing while her mother was in between mehendi application. All people tried to calm the infant, some using fear and force, some trying hard to be good. Finally it calms down ONLY when the mother held him/ her. - Maruti Car Care.

Regarding hatches, I still remember the Indigo Marina ad, where the couple go partying at poolside and entire partyware and food/wine comes out of the back.
And Honda Jazz fizzled out, with its Why So Serious. without any emphasis of why hatchback.

Apache RTR -Why do I race? Perfect ad for the target audience.

Brownie Points for racing the bike in a closed circuit and not driving it like a maniac on the roads like the Chevy Cruze.