Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 21:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

I think this might be the Nano Europa which is being customised for India.
Tata had said the future variants of nano will include a diesel one and also a more powerful 3-cylinder engine version originally meant for developed markets that may also be introduced in India.
I wonder if Tata had originally planned the Nano for Europe it should have to equip it with ABS,airbags.If so i hope Nano takes the role of a trendsetter and becomes the cheapest car in India to equip ABS and airbags.It should spur other hatchbacks to start equiping safety features as standard.
Old 17th September 2010, 21:46   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I think this might be the Nano Europa which is being customised for India.
Tata had said the future variants of nano will include a diesel one and also a more powerful 3-cylinder engine version originally meant for developed markets that may also be introduced in India.
I wonder if Tata had originally planned the Nano for Europe it should have to equip it with ABS,airbags.If so i hope Nano takes the role of a trendsetter and becomes the cheapest car in India to equip ABS and airbags.It should spur other hatchbacks to start equiping safety features as standard.
I thought so too. Looks like TML has heard people (I remember it even on TBHP) that they should introduce the Nano Europa in India.

Also, I think the Nano Plus will have only ABS and not airbags. I would also like everyone's opinion on the likely price they would be willing to pay for this car? I would look at 2.5-3.0 OTR (assuming this uses the current LX trim as base) to put it smack in the Alto/Spark territory and would be a better alternative to these, esp. the Alto which I peronally find cramped (am not sure of the Spark as I have not checked its interior space) and with better features too.
Old 18th September 2010, 01:26   #48
BHPian

There is definitely a market for the Nano Plus/Europa in India. Just see the Alto K10 has just created history with bookings of more than 20000 vehicles
The Indian consumer has matured and looks for both features and price before buying a car.
Old 18th September 2010, 02:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_242 View Post
There is definitely a market for the Nano Plus/Europa in India. Just see the Alto K10 has just created history with bookings of more than 20000 vehicles
The Indian consumer has matured and looks for both features and price before buying a car.
I agree but was looking for feedback from everyone on
1. What additional features do you want (over the current LX or the proposed Nano Plus) version?
2. What OTR price range are you are willing to pay for this version?
Old 18th September 2010, 07:07   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
I agree but was looking for feedback from everyone on
1. What additional features do you want (over the current LX or the proposed Nano Plus) version?
2. What OTR price range are you are willing to pay for this version?
1. I would like the addition of:
A tailgate
Rear Defogger
ABS (Optional)
Child Safety Locks
Some more cubby holes in the cabin
Remote Fuel Filler Opening?

Or is all this too much to ask for?

2. Given that the Nano LX costs around Rs. 2.17 lakh (approx) OTR Bangalore (Yes, the taxes ), I would expect to pay a maximum of Rs. 3 lakh OTR Bangalore.

Reasoning: The cheapest Alto (800cc) is Rs. 2.8 lakh OTR. The Nano will be better equipped, even if it is slightly more expensive. And it still undercuts the cheapest Spark.
Old 18th September 2010, 19:22   #51
BHPian

It's likely that this new Nano is the Nano Europa model. I hope it has the better looking bumpers and lights as well. That way, the Plus version will shed its 'cheap car' image that's preventing it from being picked up as a second car. The Europa looks much more like a proper car. The Nano is peppy even with the current engine, so I imagine it'll be a lot quicker with the bigger engine. And it's RWD! It might be the Indian Corolla AE86!
Old 18th September 2010, 23:33   #52
BHPian

I saw a white Nano CX BS4 badging with alloys! Didnt know that the current Nano top end comes with alloys. The car looked very pretty in white and i had to really push my santro to keep pace with it !!

A fully loaded Nano with ABS, airbags, assisted steering and an auto tranny (be it even CVT) would fly off the shelves even at 3.2 lakh OTR! Maybe even 3.5 lakh !

I for one would surely get my hands on it if i see it !
Old 18th September 2010, 23:52   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Mr.Ratan Tata in a recent interview with ACI confirmed that Tata motors is looking at a power steering option.

According to him they are also developing Diesel and Electric versions. In Fact the first firing of the Diesel engine was successful. The Nano Diesel will have a 2 cylinder engine.

I was talking to a representative from a local Tata Dealership today, he confirmed Nano delivery can be arranged now in 3-4 days.
Old 19th September 2010, 00:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Nano Diesel will have a 2 cylinder engine.
So, most likely it would sound like an Ace? What would be interesting would be the FE, or the running costs for that matter!
Old 19th September 2010, 15:06   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont prefer a company fitted music system by any company for a car which costs below 10 lakhs. I dont think there is a single company who could crack an OEM system with a decent quality. But I would like to see a sexier design + all power options, ABS for sure and Alloywheels. And price it for a 3 lakh OTR, Bangalore. All they should bother is to crack Alto's market !
Old 20th September 2010, 18:32   #56
BHPian

I'm all for a Nano with power steering and Auto transmission. It'll be great for beginners. The nearest competition would be lakhs more expensive. But I do wish they'd come out with the LHS ORVM first, it's sorely missed!

I'm sure that there will be a market for the diesel version. I've a feeling that people would have bought diesel Ape ricks for personal use if it weren't for the stigma, NVH be damned. But a twin-cylinder diesel will be considerably more refined than a single, especially with CRDI. The Maxximo is quieter than the Ace.

But right now, I'm eagerly waiting for the Europa. It stole my heart when it was first shown, and I haven't been able to look at a regular Nano since without comparing it to the Europa. Speed it up, Tata!

Last edited by vivekgk : 20th September 2010 at 18:42.
Old 20th September 2010, 21:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I think this is nothing but the Nano Europa or whatever that was already hinted by Ratan Tata long time ago.

It will have a 3 pot engine with P/S better interiors and better safety features all for the European market. I guess is that suspension may also may be tweaked for better ride/handling.
Old 20th September 2010, 22:06   #58
BANNED

C'mon guys, let's be pragmatic. Nano is no car as in a "car" we should give it a different name. Not everything which comes with 4 wheels and and engine mounted in an enclosure can be called a car. The Tata's would have made good sense to show the Nano as a concept instead of trying to make it an ego issue and really pour in thousands of crores to set up a production line for it. The Nano has flopped already in many places and will be it's going to end up as one of their biggest faux pass in recent times.
I am not belittling the accomplishment of Tata engineers but putting it in prespective of a big automaker who's in business of making profit. One blunder after another, is Mr.Ratan Tata showing signs of his senility overtaking his business acumen?
Old 20th September 2010, 23:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
C'mon guys, let's be pragmatic. Nano is no car as in a "car" we should give it a different name. Not everything which comes with 4 wheels and and engine mounted in an enclosure can be called a car. The Tata's would have made good sense to show the Nano as a concept instead of trying to make it an ego issue and really pour in thousands of crores to set up a production line for it. The Nano has flopped already in many places and will be it's going to end up as one of their biggest faux pass in recent times.
I am not belittling the accomplishment of Tata engineers but putting it in prespective of a big automaker who's in business of making profit. One blunder after another, is Mr.Ratan Tata showing signs of his senility overtaking his business acumen?
Wow that is quite hard on the guys who worked on Nano. I would not say it a lesser car than any other in the market. Its a dream of one made true by a few more ;for the aspirations of many more.

If Citroen, BMC, Fiat, Ford and many other such visionaries had not thought of the 2Cv, the Mini, The 500 and the Model T. Cars would have been the privelage of only a few.

While the Nano isnt perfect by any stretch it is not a failure too. It still needs to reach its target segment of people who would use such a car , Typically the smaller towns and the smaller Villages people.

Tata needs to up its ante and fix all the negative things about Nano and more positve reaction from people will come in. It is just the first version of the Car and Nano is still in its infancy. Give it some more time and it will shine
Old 20th September 2010, 23:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

@ zaks - care to explain the 'blunders' and 'signs of senility'?And what 'ego issue' are you talking about? ego issue with whom?
I just find 1 glaring fault with nano - i.e placement of battery inside enclosed passenger cabin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks