Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 18:16   #1
BHPian

Is Mercedes going the Corporate way too (C Class for 24 lakhs)?

Just got a call from a sales guy from Mercedes.

He has offered a brand new c-class for Rs. 24 Lacs on-road Indore.

Have fixed up an appointment with him for tomorrow evening. But would like to know from others, is mercedes also going the same way as the bmw went with the corporate edition??

Or is there a potential catch in this deal?!?!?
Old 14th April 2010, 18:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Easy way to check. Is it one car that he's offering you or is he saying there's a new version (which means you can choose the colour of the car, for instance)?
Old 14th April 2010, 18:21   #3
BHPian

This is lower than the BMW CE by about 4 lakhs if I am not mistaken. Plus the C is a newer model. If there is no "but" to the deal, there is a new sub 25 lakh contender on the block and may give the Superb and Teanna and even the 3 CE a hit. I mean even if they have a lot of gizmos, they are not a three pointed star.
Old 15th April 2010, 14:59   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Interesting news, Samyak. Please update this thread once you hear from him this evening.

BTW, I received my FIRST tele-marketing call from Mercedes today. The first ever (always thought it's so un-Mercedes to cold call). "Sir, would you like to upgrade your Merc. The new E Class is a fantastic machine". The pressure is on...Merc's putting a lot of heat on its dealers.

They've taken quite the clobbering from BMW last year. The new E Class took Merc to the top of the exec segment, but BMW's 320D Corporate edition is registering unreal numbers. Get this : Nearly 300 cars versus 90ish for the C & A4.

End of the day, only one person benefits from competition : I, the customer.
Old 17th April 2010, 22:01   #5
BHPian

It's confirmed.

The new Mercedes C-Class has come in a stripped down trim called the "Executive".
No sunroof.
No beige interiors.
Orangish wood inserts.
Regular power steering.(the new C class has some different type of steering - forgot the name - but is supposed to be even smoother)
No parking sensors.
17 inch alloys with a regular disc as spare.
No chromes on the outside.
No projector headlamps/xenons.

on road price after insurance and RTO (totals to around 10%) comes to 26.40 Lacs (in indore)
Old 17th April 2010, 22:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! thanks BMW ! This was started by Audi with 1.8 TSI right?

Camry/Accord/Superb/Teana has new company.
Old 17th April 2010, 23:16   #7
BHPian

But they should not have done away with parking sensors. Doesnt BMW CE come with sensors?. Is it easy to retrofit it?.

@Samyakmodi - Is the price for CDI or petrol?

Last edited by artofzen : 17th April 2010 at 23:17.
Old 18th April 2010, 08:26   #8
BHPian

which engine? 1.8 or 2.2 diesel?
Old 18th April 2010, 09:14   #9
BHPian

For long Indian customers have been charged exorbitantly by these manufacturers. Now the real competition has started so all the fat from the grossly inflated prices has started melting.

Manufacturers who have priced its products realistically have put pressure on its competitors and have become segment leaders. Toyota whipped Honda Civic and CRV with its Altis and Fortuner. Skoda Superb beat Accord and now VW has also priced its Jetta and Passat sensibly. Their sales figures in next 2-3 months will be interesting to watch.

Lower prices will only expand the market so manufacturers stand to gain in volumes and increased service and parts business.
Old 18th April 2010, 09:43   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
For long Indian customers have been charged exorbitantly by these manufacturers. Now the real competition has started so all the fat from the grossly inflated prices has started melting.
I hope the competition hots up and we benefit even more.

Quote:
Toyota whipped Honda Civic and CRV with its Altis and Fortuner.
I don't think so. You still a lot of more Civics and CRV's than Altis and Fortuners

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
End of the day, only one person benefits from competition : I, the customer.
True but not entirely true. It's not only one person (I presume you are referring to people buying a new C class) who benefits but others down the line too as this results in a drop in second hand prices. So I think prices of cars in a segment or two below the C class will also be pushed down as a result.

Last edited by Live To Jive : 18th April 2010 at 09:46.
Old 18th April 2010, 11:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
True but not entirely true. It's not only one person (I presume you are referring to people buying a new C class) who benefits but others down the line too as this results in a drop in second hand prices. So I think prices of cars in a segment or two below the C class will also be pushed down as a result.
Completely agree with you on the ripple effect this would have on prices of used cars but am not too sure if this would have an impact on new car prices in segments below (rather, customers would start getting more bang for their buck).

Reason - these are stripped down versions of current models and do not carry the same level of bells and whistles as a normal version would. This, in a way, indirectly, pushes Executive/Coporate Editions a segment below. But yes, such editions do make aspirational brands like Merc/BMW more affordable for an average Joe in India.

Now, other manufacturers in segments below would have to offer more than what they currently do for the same amount of money in order to stay afloat.

PS - We also need to keep in mind the fact that buying an elephant is no big deal, maintaining one sure is.

PPS - 'I, the customer' mentioned by GTO needs to be interpreted figuratively and not literally
Old 18th April 2010, 11:58   #12
BHPian

Great news...waiting for Audi, preferably a stripped down version in manual transmission mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post

I don't think so. You still a lot of more Civics and CRV's than Altis and Fortuners
You kidding? Have a look at this thread..

Compare Civic'c last three months sales (644,538,738) v/s Atlis (924,863,983). Story of CRV is better not said v/s Fortuner
Honda's (76,129,66) v/s Toyota's (903,972,1095)

Last edited by RakishRam : 18th April 2010 at 12:00.
Old 18th April 2010, 14:36   #13
BHPian

Yes!! I think finally we are getting some competition in the higher models. We want the basic car, the gizmos we can put ourselves if need be. India has always stood for VFM, and the current scenario is exactly pointing to this growing trend.

Honda, and others have really taken Indians for a royal ride, now I think they are getting their's back.

With Civic, CRV and Jazz showing not too large volumes, and only City still continuing strong (but then that's the best petrol sedan, and comparetively more VFM), Honda need to re-jig their act and fast. Their golden halo is wearing off.

Same with Merc and others. I think the markets will only improve from a buyer's perspective.

Long live the consumer.
Old 18th April 2010, 14:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

26.4L OTR works out to be cheaper slightly than 320d CE. The dealer in Cochin quoted 27.xx OTR for 320d CE without BSI.

320d CE + BSI still looks more VFM (and peace of mind).
Old 18th April 2010, 15:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
But they should not have done away with parking sensors. Doesnt BMW CE come with sensors?. Is it easy to retrofit it?.

@Samyakmodi - Is the price for CDI or petrol?

Exactly my question !! Petrol or the 220 CDi ?? There lies the difference - on the BMW it is the invincible 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
which engine? 1.8 or 2.2 diesel?
If it the diesel - there may be some competition worth looking at, if a petrol then it is to my mind a "no brainer"

Let the clash of the Titans begin

Cheers

Most Viewed