Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 16:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehangir View Post
3. Artico Man Made Leather
What the heck is Man Made Leather? Is it hand stitched? Man Made sounds rather weird.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:26   #32
BHPian

@gilead
man made = leatherette = artificial leather = regzine :-P in a layman's term.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Nice ! Just like our stock market needs a price correction when it gets booming, so does our luxury car market. The car makers had gotten too bullish, especially Mercedes.

Its a domino effect and the customer wins!!
Its getting better and better. I remember not long ago, the crappy Opel Astra diesel costed around 11 lakhs in Bangalore.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
@gilead
man made = leatherette = artificial leather = regzine :-P in a layman's term.
MB-Tex (Artico leather in Canada versions) is NOT real leather. It's vinyl-over-textile.

'The Mercedes is well equipped except for the fact that in base form it is fitted with vinyl upholstery. Mercedes calls it "Artico man-made leather". One judge commented that "Artico" must mean "Artificial Cow". It does do a convincing impersonation of real cow, though.'

Well as long as it fakes well and works like a real one,its ok I guess
Old 21st April 2010, 20:46   #35
BHPian

IMO The Merc C EE looks more 'stripped down' that the BMW 3 CE. They have taken away quite a few things.
Old 21st April 2010, 21:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure about the who ha about Rs. 24 lacs C as there always was a classic trimmed C class available for the past 3 years. All the chrome trim was missing, wheels were different design and I believe these were available on order not just for tourist but also private as I see several such cars on the road (more than 12 months ago)
Old 22nd April 2010, 00:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Are these corporate models significantly cheaper to maintain than their 'premium' counterparts?
Old 22nd April 2010, 00:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Are these corporate models significantly cheaper to maintain than their 'premium' counterparts?
Yes, but not much. You don't have to worry about problems in features like sunroof, automatic seat adjust, etc because you simply don't have that feature. But the cars sport the same engine like their superiors so you may get those problems.
Old 22nd April 2010, 00:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Not really, I don't think so. BSI and Secure are at the same rates, if that's anything to go by. I suppose you could assume a slightly more trouble-free ownership experience if you consider a simple equation. Less electronickery = less electronic failures = less headache.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:09   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Less electronickery = less electronic failures = less headache.
If BMW could sell a 3 series with:

- Either a 6 cylinder petrol or 6 cylinder diesel

- 6 speed manual transmission

- Xenon headlamps, 6 airbags, ABS and the engine start button

- NO electric seats, electric mirrors, a complex network of 75 computers collaborating on a private network, traction control, seat memory, climate control (knobs just work fine), 2 million lines of software code that - among other things - tell me when my service is due, headlamp washers, auto lights & wipers, in-dash tv monitor, multi-function steering wheel (a pure 80's BMW wheel will do just fine, thanks), sunroof, parking sensors, and, last & definitely the least, run flat tyres.

I'm buying. Forget the CE (corporate edition) : They should call such a pure driving machine the EE (enthusiasts edition). 200 kilos lighter, faster and about 4 lakhs cheaper.

P.S. Actually, that's just like a CSL! Bare, basic, pure BMW...just like how a true driving machine ought to be.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

@ GTO : In my case I don't have to worry about electric seats (well, I have electric lumbar support), memory seats and mirror positions, iDrive, xenons etc. Acording to me that's relative peace of mind, and no, my dad will not be amused by a CSL. Maybe the day I'm buying it for myself, I'll probably look at it from your perspective
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If BMW could sell a 3 series with:

- Either a 6 cylinder petrol or 6 cylinder diesel

- 6 speed manual transmission

- Xenon headlamps, 6 airbags, ABS and the engine start button

- NO electric seats, electric mirrors, a complex network of 75 computers collaborating on a private network, traction control, seat memory, climate control (knobs just work fine), 2 million lines of software code that - among other things - tell me when my service is due, headlamp washers, auto lights & wipers, in-dash tv monitor, multi-function steering wheel (a pure 80's BMW wheel will do just fine, thanks), sunroof, parking sensors, and, last & definitely the least, run flat tyres.

I'm buying. Forget the CE (corporate edition) : They should call such a pure driving machine the EE (enthusiasts edition). 200 kilos lighter, faster and about 4 lakhs cheaper.

P.S. Actually, that's just like a CSL! Bare, basic, pure BMW...just like how a true driving machine ought to be.
I would add only two more to the list above first NO BEIGE INTERIORS. Give me all black or dark grey or saddle brown but that is it and the second knee airbags. What with current tight designs of the cockpits and I love my knees.

If the above vehicle becomes available I am in. GTO maybe interested TBHPians can form a buyers group and put up the proposal to BMW. Get them to make the above as a Tbhp edition and maybe get deliveries direct from the plant which adds up as double benefit of additional discounts and a looong drive home, what a way to run in the car.
Old 23rd April 2010, 00:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I would add only two more to the list above first NO BEIGE INTERIORS. Give me all black or dark grey or saddle brown...
Corp Ed has all-black interiors available. Saddle brown only on the Highline.
Old 23rd April 2010, 00:11   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
If the above vehicle becomes available I am in. GTO maybe interested TBHPians can form a buyers group and put up the proposal to BMW. Get them to make the above as a Tbhp edition and maybe get deliveries direct from the plant which adds up as double benefit of additional discounts and a looong drive home, what a way to run in the car.
Oh boy, you sure are innovative
I am in if this can happen in next 6 months! So what if my purchase goes on hold for a total of 1.5 years including this 6 months' grace
Onus on you GTO now..

Last edited by AlokSriva : 23rd April 2010 at 00:12.
Old 23rd April 2010, 00:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

All right then one feature in the bag and just the rest of the list to go.

Hmm Monaco Blue + Black or Silver + Black.... decisions, decisions life is never easy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks