Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 16:52   #1
BANNED

Upgrading from Bike to Car? See the extra expenses

Are you a person who is upgrading from a Bike to Car? Here's an Excel sheet containing the extra expenses you may need to meet while doing that.

Here's the directions to use this Excel sheet:

1. Only petrol cars are considered. But you can modify the sheet for Diesel cars.
2. You can edit the cells in Green color according to your case.
3. Some cars (new and used) - which may be the considerations of first time buyers - are already given. You can check with the cars you consider.
4. First page (CommonData) contains the general data to be added.
5. Option is given to keep the Bike or sell the Bike, and also for using public transportation system (by entering the running Kilometers).

Try yourself! And post the errors you may find in the sheet...
Attached Files
File Type: xls BikeToCar.xls (115.0 KB, 663 views)

Last edited by romeomidhun : 15th April 2010 at 17:03.
Old 16th April 2010, 13:49   #2
BANNED

Summary of findings:

Years considered: 5
Initial payment : 1 lakh
Total running by car per month: 600KM
Total running by bike per month: 400KM

(Net loss given below is the net extra expense considering car's depreciation and current expenses for bike, for 5 years)

Swift:
Price: 4.75 Lakh
Net loss for 5 years: Rs 4.7 lakh

Ritz:
Price: 4.5 Lakh
Net loss for 5 years: Rs 5.25 lakh

Used Swift:
Price: 3.5 Lakh
Net loss for 5 years: Rs 4.4 lakh

Used WagonR:
Price: 2.75 Lakh
Net loss for 5 years: Rs 3.75 lakh

Alto:
Price: 3.25 Lakh
Net loss for 5 years: Rs 3.8 lakh

Used Esteem:
Price: 2.5 Lakh
Net loss for 5 years: Rs 4.3 lakh

Used Baleno:
Price: 3 Lakh
Net loss for 5 years: Rs 5.1 lakh

Used Alto:
Price: 2 Lakh
Net loss for 5 years: Rs 2.75 lakh

Used Zen:
Price: 1.5 Lakh
Net loss for 5 years: Rs 2.4 lakh

i10:
Price: 4.75 Lakh
Net loss for 5 years: Rs 5.9 lakh

i20:
Price: 5.25 Lakh
Net loss for 5 years: Rs 6.5 lakh

Spark:
Price: 4 Lakh
Net loss for 5 years: Rs 5 lakh
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:51   #3
BANNED

Sheet updated

Now updated with Figo, Polo and Diesel Swift and Ritz.
Attached Files
File Type: xls BikeToCar.xls (166.0 KB, 368 views)
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:09   #4
BHPian

With all due respect to the thread, is comparing a bike to a car and the above numbers sensible ?

I mean where and how will you put the price for the extra comfort, space, capacity to carry 5 people for long distances, the pride of owning a car etc. here ?

Obviously its going to be a costlier proposition unless you start comparing a super bike or a kinetic honda giving you less than 25 kmpl, with the Alto / Nano in terms of FE.

Also, with depreciation figures - how have you accounted for the actual resale value of the car. Many cars in this price bracket sell at like 60% of their costs after 5 yrs.

Last edited by jigbarai : 22nd April 2010 at 20:11.
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:33   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
With all due respect to the thread, is comparing a bike to a car and the above numbers sensible ?

I mean where and how will you put the price for the extra comfort, space, capacity to carry 5 people for long distances, the pride of owning a car etc. here ?
You are right. But I was concentrating on the financial factor only.

Quote:
Also, with depreciation figures - how have you accounted for the actual resale value of the car. Many cars in this price bracket sell at like 60% of their costs after 5 yrs.
Option is already given for entering depreciation percentage (yearly) for each model separately.
Old 23rd April 2010, 20:13   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For those interested in calculating the total cost of car ownership, do refer to this Advice Article too.
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

It is a no brainer that the initial as well as ownership cost of a car is more expensive than a two wheeler. Everyone is aware of this and still upgrade because of need. And hardly everyone gets rid of their bike after the upgrade, but make judicious use of two wheeler and car.

To really calculate the loss, one will have to factor in the cost of hiring a taxi on a given number of occassions every year as well! The loss then will be lesser. And when a car is bought without loan, it is even lesser.

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd April 2010 at 22:03.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree that comparing bike-car ownership costs may be stretching the econo-rupee too much !
Old 26th April 2010, 13:03   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I agree that comparing bike-car ownership costs may be stretching the econo-rupee too much !
Yes, I agree. But consider a middle class person with a monthly cash surplus of just Rs 10,000, and currently driving a bike. He has to save an amount for future (family, children, house, other emergency expenses). (In a general case, a person has to save 40% of his income. This 40% includes PF deposit etc).

If he plans for buying a car, he should be very careful and informed, about the extra expense (loss, actually) on owning a car. The advantages of having a car is another area. But the amount he spends for getting that, is a big amount for a middle class person.

Also, keeping the bike (after buying the car) for a monthly use of just 100-150 KM (only for going to Gym etc) is just a waste, considering the depreciation, insurance, maintenance to be spend on the bike. But, I agree there are certain occasions when only bike will do it, and with extreme freedom.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 26th April 2010 at 13:18.

Most Viewed