Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 23:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

New BS-3 cars still being registered in Mumbai?

Dear friends,

Here is something that baffles me. It looks like BS-3 cars are still being registered in Mumbai. A couple of days ago, I had posted about a brand new BS-3 Alto spotted in out housing complex. Here is the link to that post.

At that time, I did not create a separate thread, as there was the slightest doubt in my mind that the car could be registered before 1st April. But what I saw today was baffling. In Spectra Motors, a brand new WagonR (the BS-3 version of course) was ready for delivery with an MH 02 registration!

Can anyone shed please some light on this whole thing? How did these cars get registered in Mumbai?
Old 16th April 2010, 10:06   #2
BHPian

The ford dealer SC FORD at Malad link road has confirmed that they are still getting BS3 cars registered. He said as all the dealers have huge BS3 stocks they are still getting the same registered.
Most probably these cars are all pre-registered as on 31/3 with some RTO setting. We need to check the papers to know how the same is possible.
Old 16th April 2010, 10:18   #3
BHPian

The same is happening in Bangalore. The dealer even offered a discount and said he will get it registered.
Old 16th April 2010, 10:27   #4
BHPian

I had a talk with my FORD Sales Executive about this about a month back about this only. As per him, registration for BS-III will continue happening unoffically at the RTO level for 6-7 months more. The same happened when we moved from BS-II to BS-III.
Old 16th April 2010, 10:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe the date of introduction of BS-IV norms in metros has been deferred to 1 May 2010. This small article was in the Hindustan Times today.

Euro-IV.pdf
Old 16th April 2010, 13:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

There is no prohibition against registration of BS 3 vehicles in Mumbai and other BS 4 territories as long as their manufacturing date is prior to 1 April 2010. It's only vehicles made 1 April onwards that are required to be BS 4 compliant.
Old 16th April 2010, 13:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

When I was in the process of buying my Innova, I'd also visited Ravindu Toyota. The sales person told me the BSIV registration is only applicable to the metro part of a city. He added that in Bangalore this is only applicable to the following RTOs: KA-01,02,03,04,05. The remain RTOs are considered as the non-metro hence they fall under the BSIII norms and one can still get the vehicle registered at any of these RTOs.
Old 16th April 2010, 13:46   #8
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

There is an approx of 3 months grace being given for BSIII registrations - offically as well.

The Car must be manufactured before Apr 1st if BSIII.
Old 16th April 2010, 14:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ACM and directinjection. Thanks for the clarifications.
Old 16th April 2010, 14:14   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
There is no prohibition against registration of BS 3 vehicles in Mumbai and other BS 4 territories as long as their manufacturing date is prior to 1 April 2010. It's only vehicles made 1 April onwards that are required to be BS 4 compliant.
No wonder. the Toyota salesman I was interacting with last month was unaware of the imminent BSIV requirement. Even more surprising so was his boss, esp. the three franchises they hold - Agra, Lucknow and Kanpur are all now BSIV.
Old 17th April 2010, 13:32   #11
BHPian

is navi mumbai also BS IV compliant?

Whats the status on Navi mumbai as far as selling BS III vehicles? I visited Fortune Nerul and they had BS III puntos for sale. Same with Nikhil Auto for chevrolet Beat.
Old 17th April 2010, 14:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
Whats the status on Navi mumbai as far as selling BS III vehicles? I visited Fortune Nerul and they had BS III puntos for sale. Same with Nikhil Auto for chevrolet Beat.
Fortune Motors Navi Mumbai Even has old Indica in their Stock, i Saw them along with punto's under the flyover bridge in Nerul highway opp to LP Bus stop, were they usually stock all vehicles.

I wonder what would they do of these old stock indica's

Most Viewed