Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 10:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thank god they didn't say you'll be able to start off in 5th gear directly!!

I was wondering, whom are they trying to cheat? Will an average educated car owner fall for this? I don't think so.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th April 2010 at 10:37.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:33   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
I work in Bangalore Mirror. You can buy the paper tommorrow and check it (Page 16). Check the online edition after 3 am
Thanks for that clarification.

A German Touch .
SCAM : Device to increase your Car's Mileage (Oxyplus from Dorf Katel)-logo.jpgSCAM : Device to increase your Car's Mileage (Oxyplus from Dorf Katel)-bmwlogo.jpg

Last edited by wildon : 18th April 2010 at 10:35.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Thanks for that clarification.

A German Touch .
Attachment 331689Attachment 331690
Now I can see that the letters have changed to OXY+ in their logo

SCAM : Device to increase your Car's Mileage (Oxyplus from Dorf Katel)-logo.jpg

It was interesting to see so many grammar & formatting mistakes in this page

SCAM : Device to increase your Car's Mileage (Oxyplus from Dorf Katel)-err.jpg

Can someone explain what exactly do they mean by the highlighted portion in the write-up below?

SCAM : Device to increase your Car's Mileage (Oxyplus from Dorf Katel)-err2.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 18th April 2010 at 10:54.
Old 18th April 2010, 11:19   #19
BANNED

I think the ad say every thing as "UPTO". So they are theoretically correct.

Upto 100% implies <= 100%.

So the ad is correct even if there is increase of 0% in power/efficiency.
Old 18th April 2010, 11:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Now I can see that the letters have changed to OXY+ in their logo

Attachment 331691

It was interesting to see so many grammar & formatting mistakes in this page

Attachment 331692

Can someone explain what exactly do they mean by the highlighted portion in the write-up below?

Attachment 331694
How many cars today use the carb ?
Old 18th April 2010, 11:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

99% pollution reduction ... we are all saved, global warming will soon be reversed and i ll be happy with my i20's A/C soon ...

Where do i sign up ... lol
Old 18th April 2010, 13:33   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 331694
What this device is supposed to do is what is known technically as hot air induction.

What it is supposed to do:

Quote:
Function
The hot air intake functions by drawing in air from near the engine, which has been heated due to internal combustion. This warm air causes the fuel mixture in the car to drop, thereby lessening how much fuel is used and increasing mileage.
Types
Hot air intakes can be purchased in kits or built in a do-it-yourself fashion. Kits are generally more effective at increasing gas mileage, but DIY construction saves money on the initial investment.
Identification
To identify a hot air intake, look for a rubber or metal hose coming out of the engine, passing through an air filter, with an opening somewhere near the engine block or radiator.
Size
Warm air intakes add some bulk to the engine in terms of space, since extra hoses have to be installed, but they only weigh a few pounds so they have no weight-related adverse effects on the engine. However they can still provide an excellent boost to gas mileage.
Warning
Before installing a hot air intake, you should check with the manufacturer of your vehicle to ensure that the vehicle will not be adversely affected, as some cars have specialized engines that should not be modified in an attempt to increase gas mileage.

From The Effects of the Hot Air Intake on Gas Mileage | eHow.com
Why it is supposed to work, and how to build it at home:

Quote:
How to build your own Warm Air Intake (WAI) - GasSavers.org - Helping You Save at the Pump Hypermiling and Fuel Efficiency Forum

From the same link:

Cold air intakes will produce more power, and will save gas if the engine operates only at Wide Open Throttle.

However, under 90% of driving, Warm Air Intakes are more efficient because the engine is throttled and under less than full load. WAI does two things:

1) Fuel evaporates more quickly, increasing combustion speed. Fast burn engines improves the amount of pressure generated and expansion work available for a given amount of fuel.

2) With oxygen sensors, engines run at stoichiometric air/fuel ratios. For any given amount of fuel, a corresponding mass of oxygen is admitted. WAI lowers the density of air, meaning that a higher volume of air must be let into the engine for a given fuel input. So with WAI, the throttle must be opened further for a given output, and this lowers the "pumping" work of pulling air past the throttle.

WAI is better than CAI for fuel efficiency...
Heck, this stuff is even supposed to be patented...
Hot-air intake system of an internal combustion engine - Patent 4365607

Why not to do it...
Quote:
The main disadvantage to all of these is the fact that they are drawing in hot air from inside the engine compartment. Intake air temperature is very important whenever performance is a concern. It is a general rule of thumb that a engine will loose one horsepower for every additional ten degrees that the intake air temperature is increased. The engine compartment of an automobile is a very hot place, with heat radiating off of the engine block and head, the exhaust pipe, and air passing through the radiator which is full of 180 degree water. it is no surprise that under hood temperatures can easily reach over 220 degrees. Even on hot summer days when it is 100 degrees, the potential intake air temperature with these hot air intake systems is 120 degrees over the temperature of the outside air. It is very easy to see that any performance gain from reducing restrictions of air flow is quickly lost from increased intake air temperature.

Performance will be worst when attempting to accelerate from a standing start, as engine compartment temperatures will be highest when the car is not moving, lowering only marginally with the air being blown through the radiator as the car is moving, because, remember, the radiator is full of 180 degree water and the job of the radiator is to transfer heat from that water to the air passing through the radiator.
Many people will vigorously defend hot air intake systems, claiming that they can feel a great deal of power improvement, but much of their claims can be attributed to the placebic affect of a louder intake sound. "It sounds louder, it must be making more power" is the theory, but actual testing tells a very different story, that these are the least effective way to improve engine performance.

From ISUPAGE; Performance Intake System Basics
So was this not done before? Sure it was. There has been a company around in Kolkata since at least the last 20 years - this one: SMG-HAI. Promises all the things that DorfKatel's Oxyplus does.

My take on this: I keep away.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 18th April 2010 at 13:35.
Old 18th April 2010, 20:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering, whom are they trying to cheat? Will an average educated car owner fall for this? I don't think so.
Didn't you see the catchline? Dealers who want to market the products of this company have to deposit 15 lakhs with the company!!

This company does not even care about cheating the customers. It's out to cheat the dealers who are stupid enough to invest in this scheme/scam.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:14   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What a SCAM! What really angers me is that, in such a large market that's obsessed with fuel efficiency, they will find lots of gullible customers paying for the oxyplus rubbish.

Dorf Katel say they are publicly listed in Canada. That's just hogwash! And their web domain was only registered like 6 months back.

Quote:
"TA-DorfKatl - Earn Rs.80 lacs to 5 cr. p.a. - start ur own automobile bizz - Investment: 300 sqft shop at anywhere in India + 15Lacs fee (Dorf katel,business solution,solutions,management soultion,India,U.K.,Europe,U.S.A.,Canada medicare solution,hospitality solution,uk usa,education,courses,communicarion,marketing,dorf ,dorf katel) Bhavna 810...."
Not only do they cheat the end customer, but also entrepreneurs of their investment. Adding name to the thread title so that (hopefully) potential customers googling will find this thread.
Old 19th April 2010, 13:24   #25
BHPian

Just called the number given on their website to pull out more info on the product and benefits. This dude picked up the phone and instead of providing details, went on to offer his dealership schemes like invest 4lac blah! Blah!. I cut him short and made it clear that i was an end user and i called to ask about the product and i wanted just that. He started saying this is a "Unique" system which our R&D Unit in Germany has developed, you will save fuel of atleast 30-90% and your engine will remain as good as new. After that i asked his about the pricing. He quoted Rs. 1200-2000 for 2 Wheelers, 8K - 14K for Cars and 26-30K+ for heavy vehicles. He said it is a bolt on kit which will be clamped to the exhaust and offered me a free Kit if i paid the dealership amount and promised to refund if was not satisfied with the product provided i return ir back to them. The details were quiet shaddy and i see a lot of people (read-noobs) falling for it. The same way they do in case of 2 wheelers with the red thingy on the spark plug connectors.

Last edited by Ripper : 19th April 2010 at 13:25.
Old 19th April 2010, 15:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

There are so many of these so-called fuel saving devices out there, it ain't funny any more.

Did anyone watch the Mythbusters episode (Discovery channel) on these fuel saving devices? Couple of them actually increased fuel consumption!!!

My take on all these devices? They are snake oil, I am intelligent and non-gullible, so I stay away.

Good entertainment value though.
Old 19th April 2010, 18:42   #27
BHPian

@sarvodaya: thanks a lot for the info. Was in a terrible mood but reading the company's claims definitely lightened it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
99% pollution reduction ... we are all saved, global warming will soon be reversed and i ll be happy with my i20's A/C soon ...

Where do i sign up ... lol
Was thinking the same thing. Hell, i'm getting an FE of 10, maybe i won't need any fuel at all if i strap this gizmo on!

On a more serious note, I won't be surprized if the company actually swindles a lot of new businesses out of some hard cash. There'll be many people yet who will know its a sham, but make it more believable & sell it off to unsuspecting buyers.

There really should be a central monitoring body to take care of such unscrupulous companies, does anyone know if & where this can be reported?

The SMG-HAI site:
Quote:
SMG-HAI can be installed in a Diesel Engine too with all the benefits, whether it is a tractor, agricultural pump set, power generator, stone crushing machines, earth movers (dumper, dozer, pay loader etc.), shovel or heavy/ medium/ light vehicles.
  • Nominal Pollution
  • Less carbon emission
  • Dramatic reduction in noise and vibration due to smooth functioning of the engine
  • Excellent pick-up, resulting in faster turnaround time.
  • Less gear operation even at 20-30 Kmph. speed.
  • Reduced maintenance costs
  • Loading capacity increases owing to extra power generation.
  • The vehicle is assured of extra mileage of 1-2 km per litre. Tested & Approved by State Transport Dept., Ministry of Transport and Ministry of Defence fleet truck operators, Port trust, Coal Field besides Science Technology & Environment Depts. and Ministry of Railways, Central Govt. Institutions and various research Labs.
Highlighted the key points in bold. Now, doesn't this excerpt sound more thought-out & genuine?

Last edited by Musicmaker23 : 19th April 2010 at 18:46.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

What a joke! By looking at copied BMW symbol and spelling mistakes, this looks like another chinese company for me!

Quote:
He said it is a bolt on kit which will be clamped to the exhaust and offered me a free Kit if i paid the dealership amount and promised to refund if was not satisfied with the product provided i return ir back to them.
This is for more ROTFL. They refund the money as well
Old 19th April 2010, 19:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
He quoted Rs. 1200-2000 for 2 Wheelers, 8K - 14K for Cars and 26-30K+ for heavy vehicles.
...offered me a free Kit if i paid the dealership amount and promised to refund if was not satisfied with the product provided i return ir back to them.
He meant, if you pay up the dealership money (5 lakhs), they give you a unit free - and then if you didn't like the product, you may return it for a refund of it's price (maybe even 26-30k).
Old 19th April 2010, 20:55   #30
BHPian

@SS: Its a refund of the dealership money only. The unit will be given free for a trial and if not satisfied, on returning the product the money will be refunded (dealership fee). Hope that clears everything

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks