Team-BHP - Let's know the law (Motor Vehicles Act)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Let's know the law (Motor Vehicles Act) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/7985-lets-know-law-motor-vehicles-act-10.html)

Is there any rule that states that you can have only one driving license? I mean, can you have one driving license for 2 wheelers issued in one state and another driving license for LMV ? Is this allowed or is there a rule prohibiting it ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newpunter (Post 2076568)
Is there any rule that states that you can have only one driving license? I mean, can you have one driving license for 2 wheelers issued in one state and another driving license for LMV ? Is this allowed or is there a rule prohibiting it ?

MV act - Article 6 of chapter 2 prohibits this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 2076577)

Thanks for clarifying this. So this means that if I have a 2 wheeler license issued in one state and then move to another and want to get a 4 wheeler license, the only way to do it is to first transfer the 2 wheeler license to this new state and then add the new category of vehicle to the driving license.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newpunter (Post 2077415)
Thanks for clarifying this. So this means that if I have a 2 wheeler license issued in one state and then move to another and want to get a 4 wheeler license, the only way to do it is to first transfer the 2 wheeler license to this new state and then add the new category of vehicle to the driving license.

That would be the ideal way to do it. :)
Good luck with the RTOs.

please can anyone confirm whether here in mumbai is it allowed to take ur personally manufactured goods/products in your private car for delivery or no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 2075895)
So, if you jump a traffic light, they now slap Section 119/177 along with Section 184 together on you - and effectively the fine jumps from Rs.100 to Rs.1100. Or if caught for overspeeding, the fine would be Rs.1400 (Sections 112/183 + 184). Hopefully, this was meant to serve as a better deterrent; but it actually allows the constable to have a better take-home package! :D

But isn't it true that you can be booked only under one section for a traffic offense? I remember reading it somewhere on this forum only. Will try to dig it up.

I agree with a couple of other contributors here, the fines are not deterrent enough. It would be great if one of these ideas were followed:
- implement a points system which results in the license being cancelled. the problem is it is not too expensive to apply and get anotehr license. In Europe, it costs upward of EUR 1000 and that too with no guarantee that you will get the license. That is about 10% of an average car cost.
- increase the fines to a % of the vehicle cost. it seems more inconvenient but it should be an ideal deterrent especially if the rates differ for 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers. the fine could be 2% of the vehicle cost for two wheelers, and 0.5% for small cars, etc. In this case, a bike guy would pay around 1000 bucks for an offense and a car driver would pay 2000 bucks for the same offense. The idea is not to earn money but to get the traffic into maintaining discipline
- privatise the process and maintain accountability. it would mean better implementation and availability of cops across the cities. the challenge would be to avoid corruption (but that is true of all fields in India these days, unfortunately)
- confiscate the vehicle keys, and leave it by the side of the road for 48 hours at the owners risk. the ensuing tension about the state of teh car should be enough for the driver not to commit another traffic offense. the problem here is that our streets are too congested to allow a whole lot of vehicles lying around.
Just thinking aloud here, I do know that none of these would be implemented but no harm in day dreaming I guess. After all we do hope that Honda will price a car right and Fiat will resolve its ***!!

Quote:

What if I do already have two driving licences in my names in different states?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugam (Post 2162363)
What if I do already have two driving licences in my names in different states?

Legally, it is a crime. But in my knowledge, the RTOs across the country are not linked; if they are, I doubt if anyone really uses the link.

So, you are safe until someone finds out.

I was unable to find any specific references to this section of the MVA while going through this thread. If this has been covered some where else on the forum I shall be grateful if someone can kindly point me to that.

I will take the case of the NCR region. Assuming a NCR resident is an employee in an organisation located in one of the satellite towns in the NCR and gets a company vehicle registered in the adjoining states. How will this section impact such a person? Will a simple letter from the organisation that the person is provided the vehicle by the employer for fulfillment of his/her official obligations suffice - even if the person enjoys the use of the vehicle for more than 12 months? Can the people from the RTO/Traffic police make life difficult for such a person? If so, how can they be restrained from their favourite game of extortion?

Is there any "rule" or "policy" in any any of the Motor Vehicle Act, that governs car manufacturer to make the spares available withing specified amount of time of a currently sold car in India?

-Pramod

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramods (Post 2216906)
Is there any "rule" or "policy" in any any of the Motor Vehicle Act, that governs car manufacturer to make the spares available withing specified amount of time of a currently sold car in India?

-Pramod

IIRC, the rule is to make spare parts available for 10 years.

Quote:

Somebody told me the licence (after change of address, which probably requires an NOC from the original RTO) can be endorsed for additional category of vehicles in a different state.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithun (Post 2218326)

Which rule? I have not come across any.

There are rules and rules governing design, quality, specifications, etc. Not making parts available for X number of years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS_DEL (Post 2165643)
I was unable to find any specific references to this section of the MVA while going through this thread. If this has been covered some where else on the forum I shall be grateful if someone can kindly point me to that.

I will take the case of the NCR region. Assuming a NCR resident is an employee in an organisation located in one of the satellite towns in the NCR and gets a company vehicle registered in the adjoining states. How will this section impact such a person? Will a simple letter from the organisation that the person is provided the vehicle by the employer for fulfillment of his/her official obligations suffice - even if the person enjoys the use of the vehicle for more than 12 months? Can the people from the RTO/Traffic police make life difficult for such a person? If so, how can they be restrained from their favourite game of extortion?

Your question is about the extortion regarding tax payment. As per MV Act, a non-transport (white board) vehicle, can be used anywhere in India, without any restrictions, once registered.

The tricky part is regarding taxing that vehicle. Taxation on motor vehicles is State specific. And all states have different laws regarding taxing of vehicles. Since taxes are levied for use of the road, technically, you are liable to pay road tax for each State the vehicle is used.

This is a very grey area of the law, and I do wish that the Central Government does something to remove the loophole for extortion of white board motorists who casually use multiple States' roads (like tourists), and people living in one State and working in a neighbouring State.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithun (Post 2218326)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 2218881)
Which rule? I have not come across any.

There are rules and rules governing design, quality, specifications, etc. Not making parts available for X number of years.

I have heard that manufacturers are supposed to keep spares of their cars up to 10 years AFTER the car has been pulled out of production.

Don't know if and what the rule exactly is but a SE at a Maruti A.S.S. told me this.