Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2016, 23:27   #256
BHPian

Re: Let's know the law (Motor Vehicles Act)

Does someone have a link or a PDF copy of the Motor Vehicle (Amendment) Bill 2016?
Was able to find only the press release connected with the cabinet approving the bill, along with the related details on new fines proposed.
Does the proposed bill cover uniform road tax etc, which are much awaited?
Old 10th August 2016, 23:44   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Does someone have a link or a PDF copy of the Motor Vehicle (Amendment) Bill 2016?
Here you go:

English (83 pages)

Hindi (110 pages)

Parent site
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 09:35   #258
BHPian

That was really informative cnu. This should actually be considered as part of the mandatory documents that all vehicles should carry.

Thanks for the post.
Old 11th August 2016, 12:56   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Startling fact - nearly 60% two-wheelers and 40% four-wheelers plying on Indian roads don't have insurance cover!

This was disclosed by the major insurance industry players to the Road Transport ministry. (link)
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 21:03   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the various 2016 amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act will be very welcome when implemented - the Central government will create a fund for cashless treatment of accident victims during the "golden hour" of meeting with an accident.

This will facilitate quick emergency procedures and skip through the filling out of forms in private hospitals during the first hour when an accident victim needs emergency treatment the most.

The first 45 minutes is the most crucial time for many road accident victims, as they are in need of urgent medical attention and this usually plays a very significant role between life and death for many of them.

This Motor Vehicle Accident Fund, when created, will provide compulsory insurance cover to all road users in India.

According to a United India Insurance official:

Quote:
"In most foreign countries all accidents on highways are covered by insurance. So this is a progressive and welcome move forward.

Many a time victims don't get aid because the accident is more than a 45-minute ride from the nearest government hospital. Say there is a private hospital only 5 minutes from the accident spot, the person still might not get treatment. Private hospitals don't take accident victims as they might not get back the money the shelled out for the treatment.

There are many instances of people dying only because the cost of treatment was the hurdle. With insurance backing the hospitals, a lot of lives can be saved with introduction of this cashless facility
."
ET

Last edited by RavenAvi : 13th August 2016 at 21:10.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 19:51   #261
BHPian

When I'm caught overspeeding or jumping signal (both inadvertently and by very small margin), can I demand a challan and pay in court directly? In such cases should I leave the vehicle with police or am I allowed to take vehicle with challan? I ask because, last evening I was stopped for over speeding (the laser beam reported 56kmph while that road had limit of 50kms,though no visible signboards were seen). When I requested since there was no signboard and I was only marginally above the limit, police said that they cannot oblige. I didn't argue further, asked them to issue challan. I was asked to pay 300 rupees on the spot. I wasn't carrying cash so requested if I can pay in court next day morning. I was told that I should leave the vehicle in police station and pick up after producing the receipt. I didn't know what my legal right was, so finally called my wife and she came down with money. I had read in deccanherald newspaper that for petty traffic violation cases, we can always pay in court but the police didn't seem to entertain this.
Old 20th August 2016, 21:24   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
When I requested since there was no signboard and I was only marginally above the limit, police said that they cannot oblige.
That in my humble opinion is not an excuse. Every road has classification, and the state government notifies the speed limit for each classification. It is for the driver to know which type of road he is using and then drive at the appropriate speed. The police can stand at any place, and there need not be any speed indication boards before that place.

Quote:
I had read in deccanherald newspaper that for petty traffic violation cases, we can always pay in court but the police didn't seem to entertain this.
That is where the problem is . The journalists never are legal experts, where as the police know it decently and lawyers are the champs. Yes, any case including a petty case (both MV Petty and GL Petty) can be contested in the court. But what the news paper reports does NOT say is that what are the provisions which the police have to ensure that the person charged turns up in the court. There is clearly an ambiguity (for the common man) here.

Once in KL, I had received a "vehicle check report" for driving without a license (no xerox or original). The officer was not authorised to levy a spot fine, so he prepared a "vehicle check report" and gave a copy to me. It had the date for court appearance and the sections under which I was charged. But in the court, the police had a formal charge sheet drawn up with a copy of the "vehicle check report" placed as Yadasth. Here the police had more paper work to do than me . But after the vehicle check report was given, I could leave (with the vehicle, and no documents seized).

In Bangalore, before the days of black berry Traffic SIs used to carry a long book. Each leaf in this book had two sections. One was the "check report". This was to note down the details of the offence (date, time, place MV Act provisions etc.). The bottom part was a kind of "payment receipt" which had words which meant that, "accused is not planning to contest the case, and is willing to compound the offence by paying a fine of Rs.nnn.". If some body actually wanted to contest a signature was taken on the top section and the bottom section was not filled. Or else, the charged person had to put up two signatures (one each on both the sections), pay the fine and get the receipt (the entire leaf).
Old 20th August 2016, 23:47   #263
BHPian

Guys I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question. But since it discusses about Motor vehicle rules, I had a question regarding the same. If a car is transferred from one state to another state, without taking NOC from home state. Although road tax is paid at home state. Can we pay the road tax at the new state and continue to drive it. I know this can be done. But just looking for some expert opinion for assurance, so that I do not end up with any traffic police harassment. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st August 2016, 13:50   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav.info111 View Post
Guys I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question. But since it discusses about Motor vehicle rules, I had a question regarding the same. If a car is transferred from one state to another state, without taking NOC from home state. Although road tax is paid at home state. Can we pay the road tax at the new state and continue to drive it. I know this can be done. But just looking for some expert opinion for assurance, so that I do not end up with any traffic police harassment. Thanks in advance.
I am not a legal expert or a trained lawyer. But from my practical experience, I can say that this works in Bangalore at least. I had brought my dad's Kinetic Honda scooter after getting my first job here. And in the next month, I got caught by the traffic police who explained me that the road taxes of KA needs to be paid, or I can expect to be caught on this point and pay a fine.

Just took the help of a Driving School to pay the KA life time tax as well. But what happened is that the RTO only have a receipt for the tax paid, but did not endorse it on my RC Book. The reason is that the RC Book was issued by Kerala government, and there was no NOC etc. to formally re-register the vehicle. KA Govt was happy, as they are getting their tax money. KL government was also happy, as nobody is claiming for a tax refund. I was also happy, that for the next 4 years or so no RTO or Traffic police official harassed me on this tax payment issue. After 4 years, I purchased my own two wheeler, and the old scooter found itself going back to KL in the Kanyakumari Express.

Came back to say: The Driving School and RTO worked together to make this a case of me getting caught driving without paying KA road tax, and me offering to pay the full life time tax on the spot .

Last edited by sachinpk : 21st August 2016 at 13:52.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 23:39   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Just took the help of a Driving School to pay the KA life time tax as well. But what happened is that the RTO only have a receipt for the tax paid, but did not endorse it on my RC Book. The reason is that the RC Book was issued by Kerala government, and there was no NOC etc. to formally re-register the vehicle. KA Govt was happy, as they are getting their tax money. KL government was also happy, as nobody is claiming for a tax refund. I was also happy, that for the next 4 years or so no RTO or Traffic police official harassed me on this tax payment issue.
Hey thanks for the info, one more bit of info will help. Can you tell me which driving school helped you pay the road tax? As I don't have the time to run around the RTO. Does all the driving schools have this sort of tie ups ? Any idea on that?
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:08   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav.info111 View Post
Hey thanks for the info, one more bit of info will help. Can you tell me which driving school helped you pay the road tax? As I don't have the time to run around the RTO. Does all the driving schools have this sort of tie ups ? Any idea on that?
It's easier than you think. Walk into RTO, fill a simple form, pay at counter. At your convenience, collect the receipt. Job done. Don't go through agents for this straightforward process.
Old 24th August 2016, 19:16   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
If it goes to the court, the police may have to convince the judges that driving on the wrong side is actually dangerous driving.
In the UK a few years ago a truck was caught driving on the wrong side of a motorway (must be someone from the subcontinent?) for a less than 100 yards to take an exit, and a week later the newspapers reported that the driver was summarily sentenced to 8 years imprisonment for dangerous driving.

Driving on the wrong side of the road is definitely the most dangerous act a driver can do, other than jumping a traffic light. There might be pedestrians looking the right way while crossing- I see this happening every day in Noida at most places, and specially in the morning around schools where there are children crossing. And some seemingly educated people too resort to it.

Often I am in too minds to stop and query but know it would be of no avail to the Indian motorists, who just do not know that in a civilized society you ought to be considerate to the other road users too.
rajivrt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 19:34   #268
BHPian

Wrong side driving and not stopping at signals are the two worst things that our road users tend to do with alarming regularity.
I've always considered stopping and asking them what they're up to, but then you know the answer, they're locals, they'll tell you mind your own business or worse the locals will set upon you for troubling their local guy. I just flash my headlights at them and go by.

These people if they have an accident too, the first statement to be made will be there shouldn't be such a long distance to a median gap. It apparently burns precious millilitres of fuel.

They don't seem to understand the danger, it's just "why can't you adjust a bit?"

And it's educated people like us who ask these questions :O

I just hope some day people will get a measure of civic sense!

Last edited by nmenon : 24th August 2016 at 19:36. Reason: spelling.
Old 8th March 2017, 08:35   #269
BHPian

I do not know if this had been shared already, but a while ago, I had made a 5 page PDF of the offences and the related penalties (as updated on the official WB Traffic Police website). I keep it in all my vehicles, at all times to prevent any misuse of provisions by the traffic personnel.
Sharing it ( once again, if already shared) for the common benefit of all.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf motor vehicle act.pdf (347.3 KB, 4058 views)
sharktale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 10:25   #270
Senior - BHPian

Motor Vehicles Amendment Bill 2016 passed in Lok Sabha, fines raised by 5 times
The much awaited MV Act amendment has crossed the Lok Sabha hurdle, and looks like it would also clear the Rajya Sabha hurdle this time. Steep fines for many traffic offences. My only wish is that the law enforcement should then also have some scientific methods to prove that an offence was committed. It cannot be the words of the traffic police officer against the rule violator. And most likely with the steep hike in the penalties, many drivers also would not just pay up the fine without argument. The amount they would lose is not pittance (like the Rs.100 and Rs. 500).

Most Viewed