Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2005, 23:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread CNU.
Some of the rules really are just dumb.
Like it is my fault some one just decides to cross?
Someone should take the rules to court. (Is that possible?)
50K is kinda cheap for a human life isn't it?
Shouldn't there be rules for the maintainance of vehicles?
Like no car with less then 2mm of tread should be allowed on public roads or if the signals aren't working.
Old 23rd October 2005, 23:25   #17
BHPian

Interesting one, just that i am sure these are only rules on paper. Nobody follows them ... Atleast in hyderabad
1. Very rarely you will find someone using the left and right indicator.
2. If there is no police around a red light is green for ever.
3. People cross the road from anywhere and everywhere, and at anytime. The great part here is that people cross road and show hand signalling you to slow down ... cant they cross after cars are gone ? They expect people travelling > 70 kmph to stop for them , truly great....

I guess there should be rules for pedestrians, before motor owners as most accidents happen due to them !!! They should be punished too isnt it.
Old 25th October 2005, 19:35   #18
BHPian

CNU good one. Do you have any info on the section for using cellphone while driving... I once committed this mistake myself (I am not going to defend myself for what I did).. to my surprise, I was chased by the cops in a two wheeler (all traffic cops are supposed to wear helmets when they ride (in chennai/TN atleast as far as I know).. the ones who stopped me didn't have one.. i could have pointed that to them... but that doesn't mask my mistake anyway..)... they told me that the fine is around Rs.1100.. Is this correct.. This is just to know what it is... not that I am going to repeat the mistake if its cheap..
Old 25th October 2005, 20:49   #19
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish.sathish
Do you have any info on the section for using cellphone while driving...
Krish, as per one of the rules, the mobile has to be switched off while driving ... looking ridiculous isn't it ?.... but that's the rule.

And the fine for using the phone is Rs.100/-. Check the rule at http://www.trafficpolicemumbai.org/faq.html
Old 26th October 2005, 00:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

hey there... this is really detailed stuff....

thanks a million guys....

anyways just want to kno if it is against the law to have free flow exhausts fitted.... cos i am plannin on gettin one next month...
Old 26th October 2005, 11:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
hey there... this is really detailed stuff....

thanks a million guys....

anyways just want to kno if it is against the law to have free flow exhausts fitted.... cos i am plannin on gettin one next month...

thats been discussed a million times.in a way its against the law unless its below a certain limit.dont exactly know how many db.but then none of the cops have a decibal meter to measure it so they normally fine you straight away.but many people have free flows.if a pandu catches you you just have to be confident and say its not against the law and tell him to show you the rule which says it is.after arguing they should let you go.

the best thing is just dont rev hard when you see them.

rev
Old 29th October 2005, 10:11   #22

colour combination

hey guys
i recently painted my car. like the bonet is black and the rest of the body is red. so is it legal to have two colours on a car or is it that the RTO requires 1 colour only on a car.
thanx.
Old 2nd November 2005, 09:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish.sathish
CNU good one. Do you have any info on the section for using cellphone while driving... I once committed this mistake myself (I am not going to defend myself for what I did).. to my surprise, I was chased by the cops in a two wheeler (all traffic cops are supposed to wear helmets when they ride (in chennai/TN atleast as far as I know).. the ones who stopped me didn't have one.. i could have pointed that to them... but that doesn't mask my mistake anyway..)... they told me that the fine is around Rs.1100.. Is this correct.. This is just to know what it is... not that I am going to repeat the mistake if its cheap..
It is best to use a hands free while driving.
I have used cell phones when I am driving but with a hands free. Cops have spotted me using a hands free in signals but never bothered to stop me. I am assuming that it is ok to use a handsfree.
Old 2nd November 2005, 10:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks
It is best to use a hands free while driving.
I have used cell phones when I am driving but with a hands free. Cops have spotted me using a hands free in signals but never bothered to stop me. I am assuming that it is ok to use a handsfree.
Heck, it's not. Quoting from the Mumbai Traffic Police website:

FAQ REGARDING USE OF MOBILE PHONE WHILE DRIVING

Q) Can I use mobile phone while driving?
As per rule 250 (A)(1) of Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, use of mobile phone is prohibited by driver while driving or riding a motor vehicle (including two wheelers).

Q) Can I keep my mobile phone switch on while driving?
If you are alone in the car, you shall switch off your mobile phone while driving any motor vehicle.(Section 250 (A)(2) of M.M.V.R.1989)

Q) Can I use hands-free or any other accessories of mobile phone while driving?
No. (As per rule mentioned above.)

Q) Can other occupants of the motor vehicle use mobile phone?
Yes. Other than driver, occupants of the motor vehicle can use mobile phone.

Q) After receiving call or sms on mobile phone, Can I park my vehicle and use mobile phone?
No. As per rule mentioned above, mobile phone should be in switched off mode while driving.

Q) What is fine or penalty for using mobile phone, while driving?
As per section 177 of Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, using mobile phone while driving fine is Rs.100/-. But, if it causes further inconvenience or is hazardous to the road users, then the driver may be fined for negligence driving, for which fine is Rs.1000/- and compounding fee is Rs.500/-.

Q) Can I get refund on fine?
If a fine is recovered as a cash bail deposit and if you appear in the court, it may refunded or deposited as per court order. If cash is taken, as a compounding fee, then it is non-refundable as the case it self is disposed off on the spot. (Sec.200 of M.V.Act1988).

Q) If I don't have money to pay fine, what is the procedure?
As per Sec.206 (2) of M.V.Act, 1988,if you will not pay fine, your driving license may be impounded in lieu of temporary license permit, which is issued by the official handling the matter.

Q) If I am a doctor; can I use my mobile phone in an emergency while driving?
No. Exemption is not given to any one in the M.V.Act or Rules regarding this and all are same in front of law.

Cheers
Harish
highpriest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2005, 14:20   #25
BHPian

Informative stuff on towing of vehicles for people in Mumbai.

Mid-day linky

They say that if a person feels that a traffic cop is misusing his powers or something, they can call a helpline to lodge a complaint on 30403040.

However, I am pretty sure that this line is gonna be busy 24 x 7 with our mumbaikar pandus on duty.
Old 30th March 2006, 20:00   #26
BHPian

excellent info.thanx.
Old 30th March 2006, 20:11   #27
BHPian

Here are another few set of rules, I ahve heard on News and Seen practised..Don;t know the section..or the Dhara they fall under..I'm just English Graduate..Not a Lawyer..lol

1) There is a prescribed limit of transperancy the car glass must have, So Dark-Tint Films are illegal...Recently there were reports that people use excuses as Skin Allergy/Protection etc to get away with the fine...However its not allowed..but No one cares to remove it...and fine's 100 bucks only....!

2) Modification-Any car which is modified beyond its appearance so as to ascertain what the orignal car was is illegal ( Means You can have a Ferrari lookalike Honda- But it still needs to look like Honda for Identification. Performance Mods are illegal.

3) Lamp Laws- Using High Beam in City Traffic is a Offence. Using High Power Halogen Lamps on the car for regular driving conditions is a offence ( You are permitted to use High Beam/Halogen-under Bad weather conditions or High way only). Drives for Lamp Laws are conducted in Delhi every Traffic Week..! Specially on the Mehrauli-Gurgaon Road.

4) The most recent one I heard was that volume of music playing in your car should be at such level so as not to distract other drivers...!

Regards,
Old 31st March 2006, 04:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu

In India too (as in US) pedestrians have the right of way means we need to stop if we see anyone crossing the road. But again with the kind of population and the state of the roads who cares ?
not on the highway, as far as i know.

the reason behind this attutude is the strong economic divide in india.

the person walking on the road knows he is never going to drive a car and face such a situation.
the person driving knows that, and also that the person crossing the orad means nothing to him...

hence absolute lack of mutual respect, and the result is what you guys have been talking about, all this time.
Old 31st March 2006, 08:34   #29
BHPian

well seeing this i feel LUCKY...
i never paid anything more than 100/-...
Old 31st March 2006, 20:09   #30
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
i recently painted my car. like the bonet is black and the rest of the body is red. so is it legal to have two colours on a car or is it that the RTO requires 1 colour only on a car.
My guess is that you have changed the color of the car from what was mentioned in the registration. Hence you may need to pay 100 bucks...

Another rule which it seems is enforced in Rajasthan..private car cannot have a luggage rack. Only commercial cars are allowed. So if you have a personal Innova/M800 with a rack, then 50 bucks...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks