Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2020, 12:39   #361
Sen
BHPian

Re: Let's know the law (Motor Vehicles Act)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangvins View Post
On a related note, would it be a problem to take a temporary registered vehicle, with the yellow sticker, to other states or for long drives?
You are perfectly within your rights to cross state borders if you wish to with the temporary registration, at least as per the information the dealer gave me when I was getting my TR (telangana as well). I'm currently pottering around in Bangalore with it, my plate should be with the dealer any day now, and I'll be going back to get that install done right after.

Shouldn't be a problem, in summary.
Old 30th December 2020, 12:41   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
There no longer seems to be a way to check for traffic tickets online in Karnataka.

I remember there used to be a site where one could ebnter one's registration number and see if any tickets were there.
Cheers
Still works. Go to Bangalore Traffic Police web site. On the right side, click on "SEARCH & PAY VIOLATIONS BY VEHICLE NUMBER". Enter your vehicle number and you can see if you have any violations.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 20:30   #363
BANNED

Good evening gentlemen

I have three questions:
  • The TD cars owned by the dealerships are required to carry a permanent registration or not? I have seen many TD cars plying on the roads with red colored number plates and TR ot TC numbers. Are they legal?
  • In fact, on the TR and TC numbers, I believe that even insuring them in second year is not possible. Is it true?
  • Thirdly, do the TD cars require any separate document other than just RC, Insurance, and PUC?

I am planning to file an RTI regarding the same, I need to file it with the RTO or the transport ministry?
Old 9th February 2021, 11:52   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Good evening gentlemen

I have three questions:
  • The TD cars owned by the dealerships are required to carry a permanent registration or not? I have seen many TD cars plying on the roads with red colored number plates and TR ot TC numbers. Are they legal?
  • In fact, on the TR and TC numbers, I believe that even insuring them in second year is not possible. Is it true?
  • Thirdly, do the TD cars require any separate document other than just RC, Insurance, and PUC?

I am planning to file an RTI regarding the same, I need to file it with the RTO or the transport ministry?
I believe dealers are required to use red and white plates before selling the car...
Old 9th February 2021, 15:21   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RTO should be the safe bet. Because they should be knowing all the rules regarding issue of number plates (of various types).
Old 9th February 2021, 15:50   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cars that are in the possession of the dealership, and used for purposes of demonstration, sales promotion, and transit prior to permanent registration, carry the red plate with white lettering called "Trade Certificate" - TC. RTOs grant blocks of TC registration numbers to dealers to use on their cars. So, to the best of my knowledge (disclaimer: I am a lay person) TC plates are completely legal. Also, since a test drive is part of the sales promotion, it is legal to use a car for test drives that carries the TC number plate.

I am not exactly sure how insurance cover works for these cars, but I am guessing that the dealership will buy a bulk/blanket policy covering all cars that they have in their possession. Also, since the cars are (mostly) less than a year old, they don't require separate PUC.

TR is a "Temporary Registration" and is a completely different matter. This is a registration that is valid for one-three months (depending on RTO rules in that State), and the car is registered & insured in the name of the owner. Full life time road tax is not collected in this case, and I think the rules regarding residency requirements are relaxed with respect to temporary registration. Picture this scenario. You have permanent address in Vijayawada (in Andhra Pradesh State) but the only dealer for the car you want to buy is in Hyderabad (Telangana State). So you buy the car in Hyderabad with a temporary registration, drive it to Vijayawada and complete all registration formalities before the temp registration expires.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 15:58   #367
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I believe dealers are required to use red and white plates before selling the car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
RTO should be the safe bet. Because they should be knowing all the rules regarding issue of number plates (of various types).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
RTOs grant blocks of TC registration numbers to dealers to use on their cars
Thanks for your response gentlemen.

And since dealers receive the TC in a block, so all the demo cars have to furnish the same TC, or the TC for every car has to be unique? What I have read in CMVR clause 39, the one TC can be used only on one vehicle at a time, or I am missing something?
Old 28th November 2021, 20:52   #368
BHPian

Hi all, I was randomly checking the status of my vehicle and my DL on the mParivahan app and noticed that:

1. My vehicle RC shows the status as "vehicle impounded : Yes" and "Seizure document details : Driving license"
2. The DL also shows similar detail as under "Driving License Impound" it says - Yes.

Now this obviously got me worried and I started thinking what all could have been reason behind this.
I was challaned last year by Chandigarh police and now I realize that the challan does mention "Document Impounded" as DL. But, the thing is that I had paid the challan on the spot and have copy of challan as well payment receipt as well.

Is there anything that I can do get it cleared? What should be my course of action? I was happily driving my car and using my DL all this while without knowing this!

P.S. I think this is best suited thread for this query, but mods please move the post to another thread if need be.

Last edited by HalfOctave : 28th November 2021 at 20:54.
HalfOctave is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 11:31   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
Is there anything that I can do get it cleared? What should be my course of action? I was happily driving my car and using my DL all this while without knowing this!
It is better to approach the Chandigarh city's Traffic Police first. The documents are generally impounded to send them to the RTO officials. And this is only done for some serious offences. Once you check with the Traffic police officials, then the next step is to check with the RTO (who issued you the license).

Do you remember the Sections of MV Act which was used to levy the fine? That also would give an indication on nature of offence etc.
Old 29th November 2021, 11:39   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Do you remember the Sections of MV Act which was used to levy the fine? That also would give an indication on nature of offence etc.
Yes, I do. No idea if it is considered serious enough!

"42-DANGEROUS U-TURN/ WHERE U-TURN PROHIBITED/ W/O PROPER SIGNAL ( s. 177 )[Fine - 500]"

btw, the license is still with me, but I believe that now Traffic Police don't seize the physical opy of documents but seize the virtual/online version of it.
Old 29th November 2021, 12:02   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
"42-DANGEROUS U-TURN/ WHERE U-TURN PROHIBITED/ W/O PROPER SIGNAL ( s. 177 )[Fine - 500]"
That is strange. Section 177 of MV Act is generally used to put a fine for offences which are trivial and known as Motor Vehicle (MV) Petty Cases. It is a generic provision to levy fine for an offence which is other wise not explicitly listed in MV Act. The fines can be in the range of Rs. 300 to Rs. 1500. But this provision cannot be used to impound any document.

Documents can be impounded under Sec 206 for;
Sec 183 – Speed rule violations
Sec 184 – Driving dangerously
Sec 185 – Drunken driving
Sec 189 - Racing
Sec 190 – Vehicles being used in unsafe conditions
Sec 194C – Triple riding
Sec 194D – Riding without helmets
Sec 194E – Not yielding to emergency vehicles

Refer: https://egazette.nic.in/WriteReadData/2019/210413.pdf

Last edited by sachinpk : 29th November 2021 at 12:05.
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 09:43   #372
BHPian

I had couple of experiences in my recent Ahmedabad - Bikaner trip. (GJ passing car)

1. At the entry of Bikaner City, fined INR 1000 for co-passenger not wearing seat-belt.

2. In deserted stretch between Bikaner - Phalodi, fined INR 1000 for over speeding. NH 11 had speed limit of 70. As per speed gun, I was at 82. Paid.
Also cops demanded 11,000 for driving car on someone else's name. I resisted for the same and got away.

Last edited by zalaps : 13th June 2022 at 09:45. Reason: missed info.

Most Viewed