Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2009, 18:22   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Registration Validity

Guys, what is the validity of registration of 7 or 8 seater vehicles(Tavera,Innova,Xylo,Versa etc.) in MH,TN,DL?

AFAIK,it is 15 years for 5 seater cars.

But for cars over 5 seats in Gujarat,regn. of a new vehicle has a validity of ONLY 2 years and regn needs to be renewed every year thereafter.

The renewal is called CPI and one incurs Rs.700 in all(Rs.300 is the RTO fee plus the rest is the agent's charges).This rule is ridiculous and appears specific to Gujarat.

A 14 year old car in tatters needs no inspection while a well maintained MUV needs to be shown at RTO every year.

One more query - A license is issued till teh date the driver is 40;when teh license is renewed,does it get issued till the driver is 60?
Old 29th November 2009, 22:04   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

One more query - A license is issued till teh date the driver is 40;when teh license is renewed,does it get issued till the driver is 60?
Driving License is valid for 20 years from the date of issue or till the person attains the age of 50 years, whichever is earlier.After that it can be renewed for a period of 5 years at a time.
Old 30th November 2009, 04:25   #123
BHPian

The is a very Informative thread. Not all the sections in the MVA can ben interpreted correctly by a layman. Hence the Traffic Police employ their own interpretation in collecting unofficial fines.

If the Automobile Association of India can release a some sort explanation on the sections, then it would help our people to stay off the "Traffic Mamas!!"
Old 20th July 2010, 17:53   #124
BHPian

Hey folks, another thing that I've experienced recently (at least in NCR) is that cops stop you for some offense and tell you that you'll also be booked for dangerous driving. Now i know it's a way for them to extort more money from the driver, but what does one do?

Happened to me in Noida a few days back when I jumped the orange light. Then he told me that I would be booked for dangerous driving. Finally had to pay him Rs. 100, unofficially of course.

Happened again with a friend of mine, I was the passenger, when he took a left from the intersection instead of the left turn bend. The green light was for straight and right.
Old 28th August 2010, 18:35   #125
BHPian

Traffic Cop says i cant ride a SuperBike in the evening - Now how crazy can that get?

I was Returning to my office today on my Busa, from an appointment, and took a left turn at Hypercity, malad to escape the chaotic jams ahead on the Link Road.
On this particular road inside mindspace, lot of youngsters come for speeding and stunting and therefor it was not unusual to see a posse of traffic cops rounding up bikers without helmets and many of these youngsters and also some motorists. In all saw 5 -6 traffic cops and one senior guy. I was doing around 60 kmph when this young cop (seems to be a new recruit) come right in middle of the road in my path and gestures wildly to stop. I was wearing my helmet, gloves and riding shoes and wondering why the heck is he stopping me. Slowed down after looking in rear view mirrors for incoming traffic and using left turn indicators. This cop thinks i am slowing down to vroom past him, runs behind me and tries to hold down the grab rail on the Busa. i get wild as i havent even stopped and he could have caused me to topple. I stop there right away even as its the middle of the road. Take of my helmet and get annoyed with this cop and tell him, i was slowing down and stopping, why did he have to get hold of the bike and make me stop physically. He was completely taken back and said he did not trust me to stop. I told him he was endangering lives by doing so and in case of me not stopping, they could easily follow me and stop me as there are exactly 4 Speed breakers in the next 250 metres. He gets arrogant and asks me for my license. I get down, open the back seat compartment, show him my license. Sees that it is in order, asks for the bike papers and PUC. I show him the RC card and tell him PUC is not required as the Bike is just 4 months old. He sees the RC book and gives me back.

Now comes the funny part. He says i have to pay a fine as i am not allowed to ride the SuperBike in afternoon. I started to laugh my head off asking him which section of the Motor Vehicle Act says so. He says he will show me the particular section and i have to take the Bike to the police station and pay fines. I get stern with him and ask him the Section number as i know the MV Act in and out and there is no such section which says SuperBikes have to be ridden only at particular hours in a day. I told him im free to ride it all day and night and if he think i violate any laws, he is free to prosecute me after showing me relevant sections under which he is booking me and i am free to argue this in the court. He gets jittery now and says my number plates are not alright. I tell him that the number plates are as per rules and let him show me the anomally. He keeps quite for a while and suddenly says i was speeding and thats why he caught me. I said, prove it. He says he doesnt need to prove it. Just his saying so will suffice. I tell him, i am a lawyer and when i argue in court on the whole turn of events, your speeding charge wont hold water and i am now gonna sue you for harrasing me and wasting my precious time. By this time there is a huge crowd around us, who are enjoying this show. Two of his colleagues now join in and tell me to finish of the matter. I said i sure will do it. I take down the names from their tags and they start losing their temper. I say that they are public servants and if they are doing their job, they need not fret. As a citizen of the country i am aware of my rights and can sure fight for this. Immediately they all back of and the crowd now starts to argue with the cops.

I ask if i can leave or they have some wierd sections to harass me.
They are kinda relieved to let me go
And i break off into a big laughter thats its a big joke that superbikes cannot be used in day time in india. They look quite sheepish now and i have to leave as i have to reach office. SO her is me in office, sharing this funny incident with you all
Old 28th August 2010, 19:51   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Guys, what is the validity of registration of 7 or 8 seater vehicles(Tavera,Innova,Xylo,Versa etc.) in MH,TN,DL?
We had a Qualis in Mumbai (Thane Registered) - the RC of that one was valid for 15 years. We have a Bangalore registered Innova, which also has a 15 years' validity RC.

AFAIK, the validity period of Private vehicles is 15 years in most states.
Old 28th August 2010, 21:57   #127
Senior - BHPian

Maximum of the cops stopping people on the road are class 8/10 pass constables and hawalders who derive a sadistic pleasure to extort money from the more well to do segment of the population, while filling their pockets at the same time. Our government is also to blame here - they pay the low level cops less than what beggar in a big station makes in a day. This leads to bribes and corruption.
They do not know any MV law act number - just stand your ground and ask to talk to their bosses. Know the MV act fully yourself (if possible keep a copy inside your glove box).
Also NEVER carry any original document in your car (if the car is stolen with original documents or seized with original documents it is history). Carry copies of the following in an envelope: road tax token, registration card, your drivers license, insurance papers.
Only carry the original of PUC in that envelope and your original DL in your wallet.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES HAND OVER YOUR ORIGINAL DL TO ANY CONSTABLE/HAWALDER . Only if a ASI/SI/I/ Sergeant asks for it - you should hand it over. Constable / hawalders can only report car numbers and are NOT empowered to do anything else. They have no use with DLs.
Old 29th August 2010, 01:29   #128
BHPian

How can a person obtain International license?

I see lots of foreigners driving vehicles without any license in India? Though cops see these people, they don't take any action. In Bangalore, if you go to Kamanahali, you will notice a lot of this.
Old 29th August 2010, 01:34   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
How can a person obtain International license?

I see lots of foreigners driving vehicles without any license in India? Though cops see these people, they don't take any action. In Bangalore, if you go to Kamanahali, you will notice a lot of this.
There is nothing called an 'international license'.
The only legal thing that exists and is recognized by most countries is IDP.
IDP is issued by various organizations in various nations - and is basically a translation of your license and restrictions on that license in different languages. IDP is valid for a year.
For more details - International Driving Permit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 29th August 2010, 10:35   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
NEVER carry any original document in your car (if the car is stolen with original documents or seized with original documents it is history). Carry copies of the following in an envelope: road tax token, registration card, your drivers license, insurance papers.
Only carry the original of PUC in that envelope and your original DL in your wallet.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES HAND OVER YOUR ORIGINAL DL TO ANY CONSTABLE/HAWALDER . Only if a ASI/SI/I/ Sergeant asks for it - you should hand it over. Constable / hawalders can only report car numbers and are NOT empowered to do anything else. They have no use with DLs.
agreed this is very important! Thanks for summarizing.
Old 30th August 2010, 08:55   #131
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
Now comes the funny part. He says i have to pay a fine as i am not allowed to ride the SuperBike in afternoon.
What an absolute nutjob of a cop! I was once pulled over for a similarly illogical reason. Driving on Marine Drive on a Diwali night, a Police Gypsy (with Senior Officer + 3 hawaldars onboard) ask me to pull my Jeep over. I stop, walk up to the officer and ask him what the problem is? His response "You are not allowed to drive open cars in India (I'd taken the canopy off at the time)". I couldn't hold back my laughter. Then, I reasoned with him, going to the extent of telling him this is a Mahindra stock design. Even his Gypsy is an "open" car, save for the soft top. He refused to budge, so I had no option but to turn aggressive. They probably realised that they wouldn't be able to extort any money of me, and simply drove off.

These tactics are only used to boost their earnings off gullible types. Situation well handled, Pinnacle.

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2010 at 08:56.
Old 30th August 2010, 09:18   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
He says i have to pay a fine as i am not allowed to ride the SuperBike in afternoon.
That's quite nonsense Ram sir.

Looks like they're looking out for some money with people who've deep pockets & target you. They would've thought you're another rich spoiled brat who's illegally bought the busa. Finding no evidences with docos, they lost their mind completely & finding some means to extort money.

Now days the local tauts are far better than uniformed goons.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:26   #133
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Regarding Road Tax for Different State

My Baleno has Delhi registration planning to send to kerala for 2 years. I intend to bring it back to delhi after that.

Can i pay the road tax at kerala for 2 years with out changing the registration number.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:49   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
...cops stop you for some offense and tell you that you'll also be booked for dangerous driving.
This is the new brain-wave of Delhi Traffic Police. Since most people breaking road rules do so wilfully because of the paltry Rs.100 fine, some bright chap dug up the dusty Section 184 of the MV Act, and the cops started adding it to the regular fine. So, if you jump a traffic light, they now slap Section 119/177 along with Section 184 together on you - and effectively the fine jumps from Rs.100 to Rs.1100. Or if caught for overspeeding, the fine would be Rs.1400 (Sections 112/183 + 184). Hopefully, this was meant to serve as a better deterrent; but it actually allows the constable to have a better take-home package!

Delhi Traffic Police was oh-so-upset when the High Court overturned their decision to indiscriminately slap an additional Rs.500 over and above the prescribed fines as per the MV Act. But I felt drivers behaved better on Delhi/NCR roads during those times! This dangerous driving charge is already being contested, and who knows, the courts might just overturn this decision too... In the meanwhile, drive safe!
Old 20th September 2010, 17:32   #135
BHPian

Is there any clause in the MV Act which limits the % of tinting on windows. If anyone can post a link with respect to the Bangalore RTO, it will be much appreciated. The reason I want this is because i installed a new layer of tint on my rear window (the old one was peeling off badly!). My neighbor's driver said that its too dark and you can be stopped by cops. If this is the case is there any % limit to tinting allowed on cars?

Most Viewed