Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2006, 13:36   #46
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
Anyone please answer my question since I had injured a pet a few days ago !!!
Sheep, cows and other animal have legal right of way over motor vehicles. Regardless of the circumstances, the legal liability is always on the driver in case of accidents involving an animal.

Source: http://www.cybersteering.com/tgmain/tgt/law.html
Old 28th October 2006, 14:36   #47
Team-BHP Support

one question for you guys.
MVA says that the intensity and positioning of headlamps, fog lamps etc., should confirm to IS 1516 etc., etc., 8715 et al. standards.
Does anybody have access to these standards so we know what color and wattage lights and fog lamps are illegal or legal?
Old 28th October 2006, 14:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunatley I couldn't find anything on the Internet. The Bureau of Indian Standards website is only interested in various forms of application and ways to accept fees. Also the Standards on Transport Engineering are available on a CD-ROM for Rs. 21,600/- I don't see any reason why such information should not be made available to the genral public for free.
Old 28th October 2006, 22:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mithun,

Today while travelling in national highway in karnatka between bangalore to shimoga my brother in law 's Santro had knocked down cow he tried his best to avoid but you know although he was in not so speedy canb't avoid as it had entered higway in no time, his Santro need at least 30K to get it repaired of course we will do insurance claim. Its good that cow is safe after check up by doctor, he paid 1000 bucks to cow's owner and took acknowledgement from police saying he settled the case without filing FIR, now after few days we will do self claim saying someone has hit our car when parked in bangalore which is ideal in these minor accidents.

What I understood from police is case can be filed against animal's owners if they let their animal enter higways.

Police also told making case will create more problem for every one since
we have visit court etc.. instead of that self claim makes lot of sense.

Bottomline of my comment is few unavoidable animal and even human hit on higways won't create any problems for car driver or owner.

I hears some times if we do hit and run then it might create problem in future if some one file case against us.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 29th October 2006, 10:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Way back 32 years ago driving my Morris Minor in the rural area of Benares, I banged into quite a grown calf that suddenly came in front of my car as it was being chased by some village urchins out of the field.

The impact was quite loud and the poor animal fell down with a thud. After sitting on the road for a few minutes, it got up, shook its body and walked away with the urchins again resuming their activity.

But I had to shell 400 in those times (a big amount) to settle the case the farmer/owner and walk away with smashed headlamps, twisted front grill that almost touched the radiator and some hurt pride.

After that I swore, never to stop at such mishaps involving animal/cattle ever. I know now, the animal rights activists are going to berate me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat
Hi Mithun,

Today while travelling in national highway in karnatka between bangalore to shimoga my brother in law 's Santro had knocked down cow he tried his best to avoid but you know although

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 26th November 2006, 04:52   #51
BANNED

Is it mandatory to have the LPG stickers pasted on the windscreens of LPG cars ?
Old 26th November 2006, 22:53   #52
Senior - BHPian

no, it is not mandatory to put the stickers.
Old 18th July 2007, 14:30   #53
BHPian

Excellent resource, thanks!

Is it a crime to keep xerox copies of RC Book/license etc. in the vehicle and produce originals later if asked? These are so fragile and made of cowdung paper that I am scared they will wilt away in no time if exposed.
Old 18th July 2007, 22:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. But is there any link or consolidated document that can be kept with us on the road, just in case some smart chap tries to pull a fast one.
Old 19th July 2007, 00:36   #55
BHPian

Holy $hit! I just read the first post and was shocked to find out that the owner of vehicle has to pay for death in case of accident whether he/she is at fault or not!! This is just retarded.

Quote:
Section 140: Where death or permanent disablement of any person has resulted from a road accident, the owner of the vehicle involved shall be liable to pay compensation in respect of such death or disablement irrespective of his/her fault. The compensation for death shall be Rs. 50,000/- and for permanent disablement Rs. 25,000/-.

In such claims, the claimant shall not be required to plead and establish that the death or permanent disablement was due to any wrongful act, neglect or default of the owner of the vehicle involved. The claim shall not be defeated by reason of any wrongful act, neglect or default of the person in respect of whose death or permanent disablement, the claim has been made. Besides the owner of the vehicle, the Insurance Company is also liable under this section.

Last edited by Mayavi : 19th July 2007 at 00:38.
Old 19th July 2007, 00:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
Excellent resource, thanks!

Is it a crime to keep xerox copies of RC Book/license etc. in the vehicle and produce originals later if asked? These are so fragile and made of cowdung paper that I am scared they will wilt away in no time if exposed.
I remember reading about this on a different thread in our good old forum a few days back. It said that you are allowed 1 week's time to produce the originals.
Old 19th July 2007, 00:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thanks. But is there any link or consolidated document that can be kept with us on the road, just in case some smart chap tries to pull a fast one.
That would be really helpful. Any pointers please ! How many times have we seen cops pull out the ignition key from bikes mercilessly and make the riders follow them so that they can make a fast buck. It would be great if we know what the entitlements of the cops are when they stop us, gradewise.
Old 19th July 2007, 00:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Holy $hit! I just read the first post and was shocked to find out that the owner of vehicle has to pay for death in case of accident whether he/she is at fault or not!! This is just retarded.

Thats how it is almost everywhere else, even where you are located. Hit a pedestrian, you are at fault, no matter where and how you hit him/her.
Old 19th July 2007, 01:43   #59
Senior - BHPian

Some people who have left the shores actually feel that everything about this country is wrong, i just cannot understand this. Have they actually lived here before they went to the developed countries ? Once they start driving fancy cars & experience the 'freedom', they just forget where they came from. I am absolutely confused. welcome to India. We still love OUR freedom.

Yes, it is sometimes very hard to digest facts here.
Quote:
I remember reading about this on a different thread in our good old forum a few days back. It said that you are allowed 1 week's time to produce the originals.
this applies only when you have breached a law or the policeman demands (in writing) that he wants to see your originals.
Old 19th July 2007, 01:48   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thats how it is almost everywhere else, even where you are located. Hit a pedestrian, you are at fault, no matter where and how you hit him/her.
I doubt this is the case in west if you hit a jaywalking pedestrian on the freeway.
Here you have to pay compensation even if somebody jumps in front of your car to commit suicide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks