Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 15:20   #1
BHPian

Nissan plans $3,000 small car for India

Saw this in today's Rediff:

Nissan plans $3,000 small car for India: Rediff.com Business

Here's a line from that article:

Quote:
Nissan has entered into a joint venture with Bajaj Auto and Renault to make small cars in India. Giles said in the interview that in their talks with Bajaj Auto Ltd they found that Bajaj's margin on three-wheelers was more than Nissan's current margin on four-wheeler activities. While Nissan operating margin is at 4%, Bajaj Auto's margin was at 10.5% in 2009.
I was like .
If Nissan plans to emulate Bajaj in this game then we are in for scarier times. The Bajaj Auto-Rickshaw hasn't undergone any change since I first saw it during my childhood days. They must be using the same 50 year old dyes and shopfloor. How can Nissan compare?
Old 20th April 2010, 20:36   #2
BHPian

They also mention that this one is for taking on the Nano.
Old 20th April 2010, 20:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

let them first release the Micra first with a decent price tag and get the numbers going. IMHO its important for Nissan to have spread the brand name first than getting a 2K USD car for India.

May be they will call them self BNIL (Bajan Nissan India Limited) to make them popular
Old 20th April 2010, 20:55   #4
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2010 at 13:05.
aryasanyal is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th August 2011, 13:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan plans $3,000 small car for India

"Internationally, Micra (or March) is the smallest car in the Nissan portfolio. This means that if the company plans a smaller car for the Indian market, it will have to develop it from the scratch. Typically such a grounds-up exercise takes more than a couple of years before a product makes it to the showroom, which means that it would at least be 2013 by the time the new small car sees the light of the day."

Nissan planning a sub-Micra small car

Cheers!
Old 19th September 2012, 10:59   #6
BHPian

My fiancee just caught a Nissan Versa in Saket, Delhi today, which is also known as Tiida in some countries. Is this the next offering from Nissan in India?
Old 19th September 2012, 11:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
My fiancee just caught a Nissan Versa in Saket, Delhi today, which is also known as Tiida in some countries. Is this the next offering from Nissan in India?
I would think otherwise. Nissan Versa cannot be offered at Nano prices howmuch ever its stripped down. Versa is premium in europe and positioning it in nano category would result in loosing market share in that segment.

- I dont think Nissan has plans of versa to be released in india (any price)

Last edited by scopriobharath : 19th September 2012 at 11:28.
Old 19th September 2012, 18:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I would think otherwise. Nissan Versa cannot be offered at Nano prices howmuch ever its stripped down. Versa is premium in europe and positioning it in nano category would result in loosing market share in that segment.

- I dont think Nissan has plans of versa to be released in india (any price)
I'm confused here. The car that is sold as the Versa sedan in the US is available here - it's called the Sunny. The Tiida is the hatchback version of the previous-gen Versa sedan. It continues to be sold in the US because its larger than the Micra, which won't quite work as a replacement in the US.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed