Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 23:18   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
It's 23.95 ex-showroom everywhere.
Indeed it is...
Quote:
Unless you're in a relative road-tax haven like CH, you're going to pay atleast 25.
and indeed I an in a tax haven.. and so is Ricky for whom a few of us are so eagerly waiting to return to this thread and share with us the 'sweet' deal he was offered (sigh - he is active on other threads, did we shoo him off by enquiring about it )
Old 30th April 2010, 18:13   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
The reason why we have Fortuners, CRVs, Outlanders and Captivas etc priced close to 20L is the CBU route that the manufacturers have gone through.
The Fortuner is locally assembled.

Quote:
The prev gen Accord used to seel for around 15L (4-cyl) and 18L (V6). No wonder it was the D segment leader by a long margin.
Absolutely agreed. Plus, its about time they kit the Accord up with equipment that a 20 lakh price tag deserves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
In the 10lakh segment the ANHC is a sure-footed Game changer. The ANHC changed the perception of a C segment car.
True. The ANHC remains the "safest" buy in the 10 L segment for me. It's a car that excels in some areas, does most things right, and compromises in few (e.g. equipment). It's an all-rounder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Moving down a couple of segments and rolling a few years back,I think the Honda Civic gave us the taste of what a real game-changer is! From its futuristic,cab forward design, out of this world interiors,class leading dynamics to that sweet 1.8L Vtec,the Civic was like a whiff of fresh air in a segment in a segment ruled by bland Corollas and Octavias.The H badge was the icing on the cake.No wonder it ruled the roost for years to come.

That was a real gamechanger.It even sent the upcoming next generation Corolla(Altis in India) back to the drawing board!
The rumour mills insist that Toyota went back to the design room, and did what they could to improve the Altis' looks, after the Civic's launch. I personally think the Altis looks really good too (in a mature way), especially when shod with a nice set of wheels & the Toyota bodykit. The only problem I have is that the car looks like an improved previous-gen Corolla (and NOT all-new).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Sigh! probably true. No 4 cylinder engines in the US period. Not even on 1 series.
Only temporary, I guess. The Germans are coming up with smaller turbo-charged direct injection petrol engines soon. Everyone's obsessed with FE now, even the Yankees!

Quote:
Don't agree. It was a new product and fresh enough to topple the bland Corolla, but it didn't outsell the Corolla enough to label it a game changer I'd say.
It did actually. For two years after launch in '06, the Civic outsold the Corolla 3:1 (total about 36,000 versus 12,000 odd). However, the Altis has maintained an indisputable lead since 2008.
Old 30th April 2010, 18:33   #93
BHPian

What happened to the Nissan Teanna and the Volvo's? they aren't part of the game changer list at all?
Old 30th April 2010, 18:49   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's 23.95 ex-showroom everywhere.
Is it? The price list given to me in Cochin showed 24.4 IIRC. OTR price around 27.5. Maybe the prices have gone up post-budget?
Old 30th April 2010, 19:11   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragstar View Post
What happened to the Nissan Teanna and the Volvo's? they aren't part of the game changer list at all?
Why would they be? Haven't done anything of significance to the market. They barely even sell, let alone change-the-game sell.
Old 30th April 2010, 20:14   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragstar View Post
What way these cars are game changers? For selling super low volumes?

By the way, saw this on BS Motoring website... Looks like an inspired article from this thread

Access granted - Skoda Superb, BMW 3 Series Corporate Edition, Mercedes-Benz C-Class Executive Edition
Old 13th July 2010, 20:00   #97
BHPian

I initially posted a comment about the new Mitsubishi Outlander (2010 mode) playing a role as game changer in this segment.

Whatever I know from my sources is that it is a runaway success for Mitsu India. It is currently on a 6 week wait with zero discounts.

I personally know 3 more people who were out and out only for fortuner and have now booked Outtie...Howz that
Old 13th July 2010, 20:11   #98
Senior - BHPian

Such a beautiful eye opener but also so less quality, quantum over 20 L. I was taken aback on what BMW was offering. Most people might stretch for the Beemer.
Old 14th July 2010, 02:36   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
I initially posted a comment about the new Mitsubishi Outlander (2010 mode) playing a role as game changer in this segment.

Whatever I know from my sources is that it is a runaway success for Mitsu India. It is currently on a 6 week wait with zero discounts.

I personally know 3 more people who were out and out only for fortuner and have now booked Outtie...Howz that
HM doesn't let Mitsu play games. Let alone change it.

I have more eyes than the number of Outlanders I have ever seen on road. Thats probably in and around the area I'm in. And there's no lack of Mitsu dealerships. There are enough of Pajeros though.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:08   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

The Skoda Superb is a *true* gamechager. I went to check out the Laura over the weekend and after I gave it a thorough once-over, asked the SR to show me the Superb as well. He did so gladly and my kid and I luxuriated in the sheer opulence that it offers before returning to the real world with a thud .

What I liked was that the Europa folks (Skoda dealer in Pune) seem to have really trained their staff well to handle premium/luxury car sales. For example, the SR was quick to remind me that the entry level Superb is just 1 lac more pricey than the top-end Laura (L&K). He gently tried to veer me towards a Superb instead of a Laura, and when I said, "Maybe in 10 years" he protested saying, why sir? Am sure you will be back in 4 years to buy it! That is such good salesmanship: most of buying a premium car is all about one's sense of self-worth.

I have seen a lot of these babies, especially in South Bombay and can't wait for more manufacturers to give us similarly priced offerings that really take it to the (overpriced) Japanese and Germans in this segment!
Old 26th October 2010, 10:19   #101
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

While the Fortuner is locally assembled it still costs a whopping 23.75 lacs OTR BLR for the 3 litre MT version.

And speaking for myself I vastly prefer the understated good looks of the previous gen Toyota Corolla vis a vis the Altis.

Also prefer the earlier Skoda Superb's looks vis a vis the 2009 Skoda Superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Fortuner is locally assembled.

The rumour mills insist that Toyota went back to the design room, and did what they could to improve the Altis' looks, after the Civic's launch. I personally think the Altis looks really good too (in a mature way), especially when shod with a nice set of wheels & the Toyota bodykit. The only problem I have is that the car looks like an improved previous-gen Corolla (and NOT all-new).

Last edited by GTO : 27th October 2010 at 09:36. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 1st November 2011, 12:41   #102
BHPian

Re: The 20 lakh rupee Game-Changers!

Guess XUV 500 should be added to the list soon, nice SUV apart from the quirky looks
Old 1st November 2011, 13:25   #103
Senior - BHPian

Recently, when our Octavia was being serviced had a chance to sit in the Superb and experience the car. No wonder it was a game-changer! Acres and acres of legroom at the back, AC vents on the B-Pillar(?) and that superb armrest. Coming from the Octavia the rear seat was like being in heaven.

Even the front seats had a lot of space and though i never bothered to look at the equipment i'm sure it will be one long list. the only grouse though was i felt the diesel was seriously overpriced, when i checked the diesel was about 28.XX lakhs whereas the petrol was 22.XX lakhs. A premium of 6 lakhs for a diesel, over a similarly spec petrol is not worth it.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:13   #104
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
the only grouse though was i felt the diesel was seriously overpriced, when i checked the diesel was about 28.XX lakhs whereas the petrol was 22.XX lakhs. A premium of 6 lakhs for a diesel, over a similarly spec petrol is not worth it.
Yep and the odd bit is that in the case of the Laura they have the same two engines but for similar spec variants (for petrol and Diesel) they have a much smaller price differential.

Oddly further it is the diesel Superb that seems to be selling vs the Accord in that segment, while it is the Petrol that is in the same price range. The Diesel purely on price is a 1/2 segment higher in price.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:23   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Oddly further it is the diesel Superb that seems to be selling vs the Accord in that segment, while it is the Petrol that is in the same price range. The Diesel purely on price is a 1/2 segment higher in price.
Its the same logic as the those buying B+ segment hatches apply i guess, i'd rather pay a few lakhs extra upfront, than pay every time i tank up. I hope the Superb is soon fitted with the Passat engine, same 2.0 which churns out 170 bhp, without any price increase of course

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks