Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:42   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
It sure requires extraordinary foresight to label a yet-to-be launched car as a mess-up!

I think I meant the Tucson. Anyways, if the Santa Fe did come as a CBU, I feel it will be another sad story for Hyundai
Old 24th April 2010, 15:20   #62
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodie View Post
What the Fortuner has done is tapped into a latent demand for SUVs and converted it into chart topping sales. Every other manufacturer has to be looking at that and saying - "what did we miss?"
Whoa and to that!

You know why other manufacturers would be feeling terrible? Because the Fortuner (and other SUVs like the ol' Endeavour) are HIGHLY profitable products. I mean, how much more do you think it costs to manufacturer a Fortuner over an Innova? Now, the Innova is already a heavily localised product, with the Fortuner having a lot in common. I'd say 20% tops. Imagine a situation where you can sell a product that costs 20% more , for double the price.

The Fortuner not only outsold the Altis in March, but even got home 5X the profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
In the 20lakh category, the Nissan Teana deserves a mention. I had once traveled in it and it was supremely comfortable. IMHO it looks refreshing and stands out of the crowd from its 20lakh siblings. It also has a relaxing V6 petrol motor which i could hardly hear. It is also feature laden including high end safety specs. In short it makes a perfect chauffeur driven car which is japanese and from a reliable brand.
The Teana is probably a better car than the Superb also, for the chauffeur-driven. Sofa backseat and better ride quality. However, its a CBU (priced higher than Superb & Accord) from a yet inexistent brand. That's precisely why it hasn't really rocked the market.

While on the Teana, I highly recommend an X-Trail testdrive to you. Go take a spin and you'll come back impressed. Car to car, its way superior to the Fortuner, for urban types. A complete all-rounder in my books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed26 View Post
but from ur posts,u seem to be a little too patriotic towards toyota.
Ahmed, I am - admittedly - a huge fan of Toyota & Honda. Not based on blind brand bias, mind you, but based on real life ownership experiences within my family (and a lot of reading up on these organisations). In the recent past, Hyundai has also entered my "top respected" organisations list. I believe in Toyota & Honda because they offer the most complete products, generally and in whichever segment they are in.
Old 24th April 2010, 18:29   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
GTO, you have rightly shown concern about the Superb's DSG gearbox. In 2009, these had given problems but I believe this has been resolved now. Anything more on this?
I have 2 friends who have bought their superbs in 2010 (July and August) and had problems with the DSG. In each case it was a part Skoda labels as Mechnatronic (Mechanical and Electronic) that failed. In each case the dealer did not have the part in stock (come to think of it when my friend's dashboard brake light indicator failed they did not have that little part in stock either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
The superb is just on another level as far as 20 lac rupee cars go.

Can you imagine.. If Skoda had a good aftersales network.. how much that car would sell
We can imagine. The question is "Can Skoda?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It could. Question is : BMW knows the market pays a premium for SUVs (perceived value). Can't wait to get the low down on their pricing.
There are hints of some very competitve pricing being given.
Old 24th April 2010, 18:48   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I have 2 friends who have bought their superbs in 2010 (July and August)...
Navinji, surely you mean Jul-Aug '09 ?

Quote:
We can imagine. The question is "Can Skoda?"
Everyone harps about the A.S.S., sure. But what about reliability to being with? The experiences elaborated on this forum lead one to believe that Skoda's are perfect cars for India, yes, but only on paper.
Old 24th April 2010, 20:48   #65
BHPian

Guys what about the Nissans. With aniticpated price cuts due to the CKD route, the Teana and X-trail would be Sub 20 lakhs. The`yd be great value then and certainly be game changers. What say?
Old 24th April 2010, 21:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

Let them change the game first. We're not being speculative here.
Old 24th April 2010, 22:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

BMW is really pushing. I got a call from my BMW dealer. Wants to offer me the CE at a "special" price. It is mouthwatering, but having bought three cars in two months - I had to let it pass !!

The product hits the Bull's Eye for sure. It gives you all you want & is devoid of all that is (in my book) not so important.

Kudos to BMW for getting REAL

Cheers
Old 24th April 2010, 23:43   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Navinji, surely you mean Jul-Aug '09 ?
Ops my bad. 2009. My age is showing.

BTW I have owned a Octavia since Aug 2005. Unlike many on this forum I have not had much trouble with it but my car is babied. I am driven from office to home and back in it and rarely use it for long distances (it is not as compftable as say an Accord). I used to use to to go to Poona (from Mumbai) but fear of being stranded always meant that I'd have an Innova follow.

Skoda's issues are 2.
a. In some cases reliability such as the DSG gearbox issues
b. poor control over their dealers.

If over the past year or so Skoda has improved on these counts the improvements are not consistent and might not be adequate. I expect more, a lot more

Last edited by navin : 24th April 2010 at 23:49.
Old 24th April 2010, 23:51   #69
Senior - BHPian

Certainly these 3 have been game changers, but the VFM factor can be moved up by another notch by launching...

1. Superb CRDi and manual
2. Fortuner with RWD
3. 320d CE with manual
Old 25th April 2010, 00:34   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
BMW is really pushing. I got a call from my BMW dealer. Wants to offer me the CE at a "special" price. It is mouthwatering,
Hey Ricky, you want to share the offer with us on the forum?
Old 25th April 2010, 00:56   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Ops my bad. 2009. My age is showing...
But your knowledge and experience shine through, and are invaluable

Quote:
I used to use to to go to Poona (from Mumbai) but fear of being stranded always meant that I'd have an Innova follow.

Quote:
If over the past year or so Skoda has improved on these counts the improvements are not consistent and might not be adequate. I expect more, a lot more
I've been through your Skoda thread long back, yes. They have enormous potential, and are perfect on paper. Sadly, reliability and support need to catch up. And I hope it happens, because we were so close to getting the Superb before the CE was launched... in the end it was rejected because my father simply cannot handle his vehicle giving him trouble.
Old 25th April 2010, 14:43   #72
Senior - BHPian

nice thread.

imho these are the game changers.
  1. the fortuner.
  2. the skoda superb.
  3. the accord (before the entry of the new superb)
  4. the passat TSI (apparently at 18.8)
i dont think the bmw 320 d is a game changer, because according to me, other than the 'snob value' the car is completely stripped of its feature. i mean in a 20 lac car no bi - xenons ? no i drive...list is pretty long. Hence i think the bmw misses out.

Id rather buy a low end car with high/more creature comforts, rather buying than the car in the next price bracket but force fitted in the lower bracket by stripping of all its creature comforts.

cheers,
ac
Old 25th April 2010, 15:57   #73
BHPian

In my opinion it is the BMW Corp ED, not for changing the game in the 20+ segment. But for changing the used car market in the 13-20 segment.

Just imagine when 2-3 year old BMW CorpED's start coming into the used car market.

Already the prev gen C class which used to go for 15-22L in used car is facing the heat.
Old 25th April 2010, 17:41   #74
BHPian

Booked the Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T today. My reasons for doing so are in the link below.

Ready to book Skoda Superb 1.8. TSI -- Any precautions to take at this stage?
Old 25th April 2010, 21:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Hey Ricky, you want to share the offer with us on the forum?
If I wanted to share the deal, I would have put it on the forum in my post & more importantly if BMW wanted to share a "mouthwatering deal" they would advertise.

Hence my lips are sealed

BTW, are you looking at buying the CE edition ?

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks