Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 01:01   #271
BHPian

Today morning, I went to Juhu Beach alongwith my Bro-in-law and a friend for Marathon training. We reached there by 6 am, and parked our car in the lane adjacent to Novotel Hotel (former Holiday Inn). As the marathon training includes jogging on the beach, and some stretching exercises, my BIL and friend left their mobiles and wallets in the car in a bag. I had my shorts with zip locks, and hence kept my stuff with me. We returned to the car after the exercise at 8 am, to find the left-back seat window of my friend's Feb 2010 bought I20 broken, and all the bags missing. My friend lost his blackberry, apple ipod, wallet with 10K & driving license in it and the bag. Some other car owners who saw our plight, said that it had happened to another car two weeks back. We proceeded to Juhu Police station, to get an NC so we can get the license and sim cards fast. Word of caution : Beware when you park your car in this lane. It happened in broad daylight, with many people entering/exiting the beach from this lane at that time.

MODS : Did not find the right thread to post it. Please move to the appropriate thread if required.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:33   #272
Senior - BHPian

@ dark horizon : much appreciated, thanks for narrating this incident. i've parked my car there to go to the beach innumerable times, since college is in the vicinity. luckily i've never had such an incident, but will be absolutely sure never to do so again...
Old 24th May 2010, 16:08   #273
BHPian

One of my neighbours in Santacruz lost the front logo in his CIVIC
Sure he was pi***d off!
But what did he do about it? Absolutely nothing!!

Over the next 2 days I think, he lost the badge on the rear end too!!
Its a shame coz his car was shiny black with glowy badge, and now it looks like an eye sore!!

I hope this racket is busted!
Old 24th May 2010, 19:19   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavegur View Post
I hope this racket is busted!
Hopefully they start stealing from mantris/cop's cars too. Only then the police will wake up.
Old 24th May 2010, 19:26   #275
BHPian

now this thing has spread to pune also . the front logo of my brother in laws nissan x -trail has been taken off yesterday when it was parked outside an hospital . the new one comes for 2300 rs as told by the dealer . this is a ridiculous thing and has to be taken care of on imm basis .
Old 24th May 2010, 20:58   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hopefully they start stealing from mantris/cop's cars too. Only then the police will wake up.
Those cars have attendants 24x7. The racket is probably not busted yet because too many of the racket-busters are constantly posted around the very cars you speak of.
Old 25th May 2010, 01:43   #277
BHPian

I even saw mercs' tristar ripped off. Some latest model mercs have a large tristar on the front chrome grill, thereby stopped mounting it on the bonnet. Cheaper cars are ok but high end cars' logos and monograms are very costly. I dont feel there can be a market of flicked logos in chor bazar. What wonders me is it can be very difficult to just tap it off within a few seconds of cars like honda city, skoda and merc.
Old 25th July 2010, 13:25   #278
Senior - BHPian

The logo stealing racket seems to be a large organized ring also in Pune. And it has become such a regular occurrence, that I think the Police themselves ignore such cases.

Today a person was caught in my colony trying to flick off the logo of a Skoda Superb. But somehow he tripped of the alarm and was caught by a few people, thrashed and taken to the nearest police station.

At the police station he wouldn't spill the beans (he was so drunk and utterly dirty street urchin that couldn't even tell what he was doing), so after an hour the police gave up interrogating him. His name was noted down and he was let off after being warned sternly. Don't know where he went but he disappeared in the crowd almost instantly.

It seems that even the police are in hand with these petty thieves but it is not possible to blame them unless you have definite proof. For the urchins, those 2000/- of the logo, means some extra income, but for the person who owns the car, the logo is priceless (in fact each and every part of the car is priceless). And the hapless owners can't do anything apart from looking on helplessly as this racket continues.
Old 25th July 2010, 21:41   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
I even saw mercs' tristar ripped off. Some latest model mercs have a large tristar on the front chrome grill, thereby stopped mounting it on the bonnet.
Believe me, I thought Merc had solved the issue. That was until I saw an Avantgarde C230 without the entire bloody radiator logo. Now try to imagine that sight. Those lovely chrome slats of the Avantgarde grill, and then one MASSIVE black hole in the centre where the logo should have been.
Old 28th July 2010, 13:14   #280
BHPian

I was just wondering, the Polo's (and other VWs') boot logo might be the safest! But even then if it gets stolen, that'll mean go get a new boot handle!
Maruti Alto and 800 boot logos can NEVER be stolen, they're just stickers!
Old 5th August 2010, 07:38   #281
BHPian

Has anyone tried out any preventive steps and been successful ? For e.g. applying araldite or any other glue before the thieves could lay their hands on the logos?
Old 5th August 2010, 14:33   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
I was just wondering, the Polo's (and other VWs') boot logo might be the safest! But even then if it gets stolen, that'll mean go get a new boot handle!
I've seen a Passat without the rear monogram. It's stick to the boot opener, it's not the thing itself.
Old 6th August 2010, 01:29   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Believe me, I thought Merc had solved the issue. That was until I saw an Avantgarde C230 without the entire bloody radiator logo. Now try to imagine that sight. Those lovely chrome slats of the Avantgarde grill, and then one MASSIVE black hole in the centre where the logo should have been.
I remember seeing an Avantgarde minus the grill logo too, near jvlr on the WEH and it looked awful.
Old 6th August 2010, 16:16   #284
Senior - BHPian

Happened with my car too.

My Santro Xing, had its XP taken off rudely.

The glue is still on the car with the XP mark, guess hence I couldnt notice it.

Feeling very bad about the rip off.
Old 6th August 2010, 18:36   #285
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to use a fine permanent marker to write one's car's number on the logo?Not that it would prevent it from being taken but atleast the thief won't be able to sell the same to someone else.Why would one buy a logo with somebody else's vehicle number.I know the logo woud look a bit ugly but i think it would be worth the effort and knowing that it will be useless to the thief will give me atleast some satifcation if it were to be popped out.

Most Viewed