Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2008, 13:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
I am really serious about doing something about it, i'm only looking for some indications about where they might be going, that started with counting cars with badges, mine is not the only skoda with both badges missing, in fact i have seen far too many in the past few days, this is something that has heightened now, also the badges being stolen are getting sold either to autorickshaws, or to owners who have already lost them to theft as I do not see any taxi with any other badges and I don't travel to the suburbs much.

The first thing here should be is, lets all make some sort of headcount and some people who could give some sort of legal advice about which authority needs to be approached for this, I will write to the newspapers soon after I get atleast a basic idea of what's going on, thinking of looking into second-hand part markets at CST road, Kurla.

In the meanwhile I am also trying to get some info out of these watchmen and other gaurds in my area, I have been unlucky as they only targetted my car and a fiat in my society, but that maybe because of a little rarity in skodas in the area.
Hey Pranav guess what I too travelling in the same boat you are. Got my badge stolen last night of my fabia. This is really rediculous. Something seriously has to be done to avoid this. Never faced anything like this all these years its the first time I have become victim of something so notorious. I called up skoda dealer and found out the price of the badge at the back is 850/- and is made of completely fiber plastic. Feel its a complete rip off to charge that much for something which is made of fiber plastic. Now only if it was made of metal with two bolts and nut bolted to the boot don't think it would have been so easy to get it off.
I plan to email Skoda about this issue. And make a formal complain too whatever is going on somewhere need to be stopped.
Imagine you get a new badge and what you know the next day its gone again.

If you happen to find one at Kurla / CST do let us know the cost of it.
Old 25th December 2008, 13:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Ask a second hand car dealer or your garage, and they will know which is the area where you can buy off stolen badges,emblems,stereo players,hubcaps,wheelcaps,wiper arms etc etc.
I have heard there is one in south mumbai itself. Not sure, but somewhere between lamington road and chor bazaar or near by there.
Yes this is organised stealing, and very common of late.
Old 25th December 2008, 14:57   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

An update: The cops of worli police station (bombay) caught a 12-13 year old kid stealing monograms. Nearly a sack full were recovered from him.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2008, 10:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

This guy has taken off mine for sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
An update: The cops of worli police station (bombay) caught a 12-13 year old kid stealing monograms. Nearly a sack full were recovered from him.
Old 26th December 2008, 10:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Just saw a Civic with its H from the front grill missing. This is heights!! Hope these thieves do actually get thrashed for doing this
Old 26th December 2008, 11:46   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Why don't all you guys whose monograms were stolen go to worli police station and lodge a complaint? Atleast you'll get your monograms back.
Old 26th December 2008, 15:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Ill tell you my story. In two instances the miscreants have been caught red handed. Would you believe they are kids from the 7-10th standard?

My friend who lives in the lane behind Aurora cinema at Kings Circle got curious when she saw a few school kids, in full uniform mysteriously hovering around her Optra. Thinking the were scribbling on the car or scratching it, she ran out and managed to catch one of them. The others ran away. This guy was caught with a screw driver in his hand and when she was stern with him he immediately confessed to having removed at least 25 badges, from cars in the same lane in the last two days. He was a student of the Kannad School at Wadala, who said that almost all students do it for want of pocket money. When mu friend called his mother, she blatantly asked my friend to hand over her son to the cops as she was fed up with him.

In a separate second incident, another child from the 8th standard was caught in Shivaji Park trying to het a Honda Accord "H" off the grille. He was a student of the Balmohan School at Shivaji Park. Here at least the parent apologised to and thanked my friend who had called him and reported the matter.

Now tell me, what have we come to. Kids are robbing these things. SHould they be let off with a warning or handed over to the cops??
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2008, 16:05   #38
BHPian

This is a nuisance nowadays. Verna in our family misses the Hyundai, Verna, Sfxi and the ABS logos gone in a day, Tata logo from front grille of Tata Safari, H from Honda Civic. Even in Mysore this prevails and i seriously think this is done by the school going kids who use these logos to stick it to their Geometry box etc.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:29   #39
BHPian

I didn't have the patience for someone to be caught so I got new logos from Skoda (780 a piece) and stuck them on with Fevitite, do look at how it was done

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1109762

Its now not possible to remove them at all there is a possibility that the front logo might break in trying to remove it, but i have made sure a screw driver does not fit at the rim.
Old 9th January 2009, 00:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

Guys there is some good news for those who get chrome plated plastic logos from A.S.S at exorbitant prices , you can get them made at any nameplate/numberplate shop in chrome finish and stick on with double sided 3M tape available in market ( same as used by OEM). Keeping 3M double sided tape at home is always a good idea as it is useful for lots of things.

For Bangalore guys you can get the logo at a small shop/kiosk on KG road near to Vishweshwraiya museum and 3M tape can be purchased from Commercial street at a shop selling hand tools near to police station ( opposite eastern stores).

PS : Tata Safari plastic chrome logo is just 180 Rs so no point in doing this exercise but makes
sense for Fabia etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

The "2.2l VTT DICOR" logo on the quarter panel costs Rs.350 each.
That sticker is 350 Rs !! it looks more appropriate to display frost free on refrigerator rather then a 10 Lakh SUV.

Last edited by amitk26 : 9th January 2009 at 00:30.
Old 9th January 2009, 00:44   #41

Well Well Well!! I was waiting for this thread to come up!! We recently caught three people trying to pry off the badge off a Chevy Optra that was parked outside my building. The way they do it is as follows:

There are three people. While all of them appear to be talking, one of them takes a screwdriver of a sharp blade and pries off the logo. After that, they slowly and casually move away! Also, the other day, There were these kids behind my scropio and i was suspicious about their behaviour so i was eyeing them from a few materes away. They saw me and they ran away!

EDIT>> I totally forgot, i brand new Yellow Fiat 500 near Five Gardens, got all its badges stolen within a few hours of the owner getting delivery of it. We approached the guy as i looved his car...and he was Almost Depressed about what had happened!!

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 9th January 2009 at 00:46.
Old 9th January 2009, 08:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

hmm.. the cases of BMW badges being stolen has increased 4 folds! almost every other day we have 2 BMW's with front and rear logo's being stolen.. One guy had the logo's of a 5 series stolen 4 times.. and each costs approx Rs 2,400!
Old 9th January 2009, 10:24   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did any of you guys go to worli police station to claim your monograms and lodge a complaint?
Old 9th January 2009, 11:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

Do you think it will make any difference??? dont think they will return them ...guess they will sell them

Quote:
Did any of you guys go to worli police station to claim your monograms and lodge a complaint?
Old 9th January 2009, 11:37   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Do you think it will make any difference??? dont think they will return them ...guess they will sell them
Of course they will return them. Once you give your complaint, they will make you sign that they have returned the monogram to you. They are now prompt about returning stuff since it improves their statistics. In fact they found my stolen iphone in 2 months and promptly returned it. No repeated trips to the station. Once to file the FIR and second time when they called to return it. That's it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks