Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 07:47   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
These kids could have stolen them.

80 logos recovered.

Kids need to be beaten. Wonder what actions parents would take?
Its really sad to see the school going children involved in this murky business and that too those from well to do families. I guess too much freedom is the main reason behind this. Instead of beating them I feel they must be forced to do community service like washing cars from which they stole the logos. And the parents are also not to be spared.
Old 4th March 2011, 09:46   #437
Senior - BHPian

Nope its not the freedom which causes this.
But wrong example set by peers. Which in turn is there because there is no one at school or home that these kids LOOK UP TO - as a role model, who they would want to listen to or follow.

Parents anyway are poor role model these days. No wonder kids don't feel like even listening to their ramblings and advice.
Old 4th March 2011, 09:52   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A lot of parents do not bother about what their kids do. I have seen kids sliding down cars after climbing on the bonnet. This was their personal slide. All this while the parents were standing next to them. I went and gave them an earful and they dispersed. Thank God, it was not my car.

They also constantly hit the cars with footballs, tennis balls etc. Again parents have no issues with their kids doing that.

All these happen in my housing society.
Old 4th March 2011, 10:00   #439
Senior - BHPian

Collecting car logos has become a rage amongst school kids in Pune from all backgrounds. And its spreading rapidly like a bad epidemic without a cure!
Just today morning , I was coming out of my building to head to work when I yielded to a VW Vento with missing front logo. The car was still on temp number stuck on paper.
BTW, if that means anything, the logo of my pulsar , stuck above the headlamp, has been stolen too! And it was just a small rubber sticker!
Old 4th March 2011, 10:19   #440
Senior - BHPian

Only remedy is designing logos that are destroyed once someone tries to remove them. 'Tamper proof' logos if I might call them.
I guess the rage is not so much in Kolkata as I have barely seen a car without logo.
Old 4th March 2011, 10:30   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Collecting car logos has become a rage amongst school kids in Pune from all backgrounds. And its spreading rapidly like a bad epidemic without a cure!
Just today morning , I was coming out of my building to head to work when I yielded to a VW Vento with missing front logo. The car was still on temp number stuck on paper.
BTW, if that means anything, the logo of my pulsar , stuck above the headlamp, has been stolen too! And it was just a small rubber sticker!
its sad to see the school kids are doing this. I think its time the companies especially European ones (Audi , VW) started adding more super glue to the logos and try and make them difficult to remove. Well beyond a limit they can't do anything but just a clip on logo or some logo with simple glue has quite literally become a kids job. Well someone had tried to remove the entire "Honda" but managed to remove the "A" so my car is just left with Hond. But I have not replaced this since the mentality is that an already scratched and violated car is not tempting to tamper with as is a new expensive European or Japanese car.
Old 4th March 2011, 16:39   #442
BHPian

I wonder if crime branch is going to take it further and check with other schools and ultimately return the logos to the owners from whose cars they were stolen.

I sincerely hope that these news items will stop other kids from getting into stealing business and also their parents take care that the kids are no more involved in these activities.
Old 4th March 2011, 16:46   #443
Senior - BHPian

There is a news in today's news paper. 7 school going kids from rich and educated families arrested by police. Police recovered 80 car logos from them. Someone had promised the kids to buy one logo for 1k, so the kids planned to collect lots of logos and sell them all at once to generate lot of money.

2 Kids were caught red handed and they revealed others names.

Police have let the kids go with a strict warning and a written promise from their parents to watch their kids henceforth.

All these thefts were in Kothrud area and around. So those who have recently lost a logo of their car in Kothrud area, can contact Warje Police station and get the logo if interested.
Old 4th March 2011, 17:27   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Police have let the kids go with a strict warning and a written promise from their parents to watch their kids henceforth.
Wanna bet most of them are right now laughing at how stupid the cops are already planning their next heist?
Old 5th March 2011, 00:02   #445
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Only remedy is designing logos that are destroyed once someone tries to remove them. 'Tamper proof' logos if I might call them.
I guess the rage is not so much in Kolkata as I have barely seen a car without logo.
One reason could be that bystanders are very active in Calcutta. Here in Pune many might simply choose to ignore, specially on open roads.

For sanity's sake, I hope the epidemic has reached its tipping point.
Old 5th March 2011, 08:42   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Your Skoda, VW, Fiat, Honda logo missing? These kids could have stolen them.

80 logos recovered.

Under the Juvenile justice act, they receive a rigorous earful. And then they are free to add to their logo collecting hobby.
Old 5th March 2011, 09:13   #447
BHPian

An attempt was made to steal the front logo of my Skoda Superb a few days ago. Although the miscreants were unsuccessful in their bid, though they had ample time, they left the logo severely mauled. It seems it is not an easy job to take off a logo from the Superb.The replacement cost is Rs. 4000. I don't think the police can do much in such matters as they are unable to even solve serious crimes.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 5th March 2011 at 09:15.
Old 5th March 2011, 14:45   #448
BHPian

Last week, I posted a message on this forum & ironically the front logo & 3 of the wheel logos on my BMW car were discovered missing on Sunday. I had not used the car for 4 days & the car was covered & parked in my society which is supposed to have security at the gates & around each of the buildings.

Landed up going to the dealer & paid for the logos again (had my back logo stolen a couple of months earlier too). Have stuck the front logo with Araldite now & hope that it stays for a longer period. I have had this car for 5 months now & have replaced 5 logos which equates 1 logo per month. I have obviously not factored this into the "cost of ownership".

Bigger apprehension is that this might only happen again & that the thieves might also damage the car in the process. :-(

Can we (Team-BHPians) collectively approach the police for a solution to this issue. As in any other illegal activity, the police only need to track down the (unauthorised) dealers who are selling logos of cars. Logos of Beemers, Mercs or Audi's will obviously not be available with local market dealers. So if the demand does not exist, the thefts will go down.

Lastly all owners who have lost their logos should ensure that they only go to authorised dealers for replacements. I know that this is an expensive proposition (have had holes burnt in my own pocket), but the logic is that "if you can buy the car, then you can also maintain it".

BTW I have no stake in any of the car dealerships & neither do I work for a car company :-)
Old 5th March 2011, 16:28   #449
BHPian

Just now, found this Linea with a missing logo at the KSB chowk in Pimpri. Don't know who the owner is. But, the look of the car has completely gone with out this logo. Couldn't capture the front pic as he was zooming away and I was nearing the Shell petrol pump for filling.
Seems the issue is spread to Pimpri area too.
Attached Thumbnails
Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-img00355201103051157.jpg  

Old 5th March 2011, 16:54   #450
BHPian

Its spreading in Nagpur too.Have seen a lot of cars whose logos are missing since the past few weeks.There is also a gang in nagpur ,of guys who go on breaking the windscreens of cars in the night,targeting 10-15 cars at one go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks