Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:16   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
To what levels people of this country will stoop to make money.
Atleast in Pune, most of the theft cases are done not for money, but by kids from well off families for bragging in school.
Heck , in many cases, the family can very well afford to buy the kids' a logo or two themselves, complete with a car attached at the back of it, but the kids still do it.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:29   #482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Atleast in Pune, most of the theft cases are done not for money, but by kids from well off families for bragging in school.
Heck , in many cases, the family can very well afford to buy the kids' a logo or two themselves, complete with a car attached at the back of it, but the kids still do it.
I heard of a case from a friend in Mira Society - Shankarsheth road.
A boy used to frequently visit his friends in this apartment complex. On one occassion he spotted a nice BMW 3 series and bumped off its logo. Little did he know who he was dealing with. On another occassion he saw that the logo was replaced with a brand new one. He thought it would be a good idea to flick it. Little did he realize that the BMW belonged to a politician and he had installed a surveillance camera in his parking lot.

The boy was caught, thrashed, bones broken, admitted to the hospital. His father was made to cough up a couple of lakhs to let him go. I am sure some kids deserve this treatment. I am not justifying the actions of the politicians men but the boy was no saint.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:34   #483
Senior - BHPian

This news should surface front pages of all news papers in Pune, if it has already not.

That is exactly the treatment these el cheapo thugs deserve. I am not saying that you thrash them, but they need a bashing of some sort.

My colleague bought a brand new Fabia 1.6 and the logo disappeared in 2 days. Its so frustrating. If I ever see a kid or anyone stealing logos, I would seriously bash them in public and call the police.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:37   #484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
My colleague bought a brand new Fabia 1.6 and the logo disappeared in 2 days. Its so frustrating. If I ever see a kid or anyone stealing logos, I would seriously bash them in public and call the police.
The common targets of this menace in Pune - VW and Skoda! While others are bearing the brunt, I observed these brands to be affected the most.
A person in my building owns a Micra, Renault and Linea, all without logo's. He appeared to be the only target in our neighborhood.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:04   #485
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I saw Tata Sumo taxi with Skoda logo at back in Bangalore. Now, you can guess where are all these stolen logo going. Sorry, couldn't take picture as I was driving in heavy traffic near KR Puram, Bangalore.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:43   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The boy was caught, thrashed, bones broken, admitted to the hospital. His father was made to cough up a couple of lakhs to let him go. I am sure some kids deserve this treatment. I am not justifying the actions of the politicians men but the boy was no saint.
It is apalling to hear the kind ot treatment the boy received for a logo theft. Over reaction, bragging and showing off power perhaps by the politician and his gang? If a teenage boy is guilty of logo theft and gets this kind of punishment, I wonder what that politician and his men deserve for this criminal offence, being fully grown up.

I am not justifying the boy's action. If he is caught, the sane way of dealing with him should be: talk to him, talk to his parents, give a solid warning, get the badges and let it go. Worst case, one can approach police as well. But what meted out is unpardonable.

It is very disheartening and disgusting to see that this kind of inhuman treatment gets support from TBHP community. What a shame!

-Pratim
Old 25th March 2011, 12:01   #487
Senior - BHPian

Well, it was sad to hear about the poor fellow getting thrashed. I have been myself the victim of this logo theft, but I guess there are better ways to handle such things.

I have decided to let this new wave of logo theft die, before I buy my car a new set of logos. The car looks odd without the logo but I dont want to spend my hard earned money so easily.

How about putting a non-working web camera (Or something of that sort) at the front windshield, just to scare off such guys. I dont know if this thing will work but worthy trying, isnt it?
Old 25th March 2011, 12:13   #488
Senior - BHPian

No one is supporting the act by the politician. Its a shame for sure.

But, we all know that this cheap logo stealing things needs a good bashing in some way or another.

First of all, we need to educate the parents and the schools regarding this. Like someone had mentioned here, parents and schools need to do a school bag check regularly.

This is will/might work for the kids from good background.

What about the people who are not educated/ sane enough? Like the Skoda logo seen on the back of a Sumo. What can we do with these people?
Old 25th March 2011, 12:14   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
It is apalling to hear the kind ot treatment the boy received for a logo theft. Over reaction, bragging and showing off power perhaps by the politician and his gang? If a teenage boy is guilty of logo theft and gets this kind of punishment, I wonder what that politician and his men deserve for this criminal offence, being fully grown up.

I am not justifying the boy's action. If he is caught, the sane way of dealing with him should be: talk to him, talk to his parents, give a solid warning, get the badges and let it go. Worst case, one can approach police as well. But what meted out is unpardonable.

It is very disheartening and disgusting to see that this kind of inhuman treatment gets support from TBHP community. What a shame!

-Pratim
I agree with you, Thrashing is not the solution to the problem

I found a boy flicking off the logo in my apartment parking, resident of the same complex, studies in a reputed school in Bangalore. Seems its a new collector's rage among the teenagers. I spoke to him. Didnt prefer speaking to his parents, because if you think from a teenager's perspective, he would only get pissed off and continue his ways if I complain to his parents. There is a high probability to turn them into revolutionaries by doing something like this.

I spoke to him, about how much these costs, finally told him thet if my VW logo gets stolen, I will catch hold of him. Not sure how much he was convinced, but he was definitely embarrassed by getting caught red-handed
Old 25th March 2011, 12:21   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
If he is caught, the sane way of dealing with him should be: talk to him, talk to his parents, give a solid warning, get the badges and let it go. Worst case, one can approach police as well. But what meted out is unpardonable.
I am also totally against public thrashing of kids. But what you have listed is going to make nil impact on a kid. Kids are not what they used to be in our times. In fact calling them kids is also kind of wrong. That innocence is long lost.

We can't really do much other that stand by while kids steal off the logos.

Best option is NOT to replace the logos. Avoid looking at car from outside. Just get into the car as soon as possible without looking at logos and drive.

VW and Skoda: Lower the prices of the logos. Reduce the quality of logos a bit. Its acceptable. The only reason the logos are getting stolen is because there is a market for them. Price the logs in range of Rs 200 and this theft menace will disappear.
Old 25th March 2011, 12:27   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I heard of a case from a friend in Mira Society - Shankarsheth road.
A boy used to frequently visit his friends in this apartment complex. On one occassion he spotted a nice BMW 3 series and bumped off its logo. Little did he know who he was dealing with. On another occassion he saw that the logo was replaced with a brand new one. He thought it would be a good idea to flick it. Little did he realize that the BMW belonged to a politician and he had installed a surveillance camera in his parking lot.

If this has really happened then its a shame to India. Does anyone really think that Politician has bought his BMW with his hard earned money? He must have bought the same with his black money only. I agree that boy is guilty, but giving such a punishment is really bad. He should have given warning & should have informed to police. Beating his like unnecessarily showing power.

This kind of people ( Politician ) should then get even worse punishment for what they are doing in our country. Not a single politician is good in whole Maharashtra. Its a shame on us & India
Old 25th March 2011, 13:08   #492
BHPian

I completely agree with @pratim and @evilshantanu. Seems like we Bangalore boys are less violent, but this nightmare is only slowly catching up.

I caught a school kid red-handed trying to flick the blue Fiat logo off my Palio, parked outside my house. For a moment, thought of all the more effort it requires to replace it back, since you all know its ahem... Fiat. Thankfully though, stopped the act before it was complete.

All I did was asked the kid to remove his school bag, get his parents to collect it back and took it inside the house. No further conversation till another 15 minutes when I found him standing nearby crying his guts out with a bunch of friends. Felt very sad for looking at him in that state but wanted to send out the message that logo theft was stealing, it was a crime and not a collectors item that these kids perceive it to be. Then I explained the cost to replace it back and scared him that he could be arrested by police for causing it and I know whom to catch if mine went missing on a later day. Finally let him go with his bag but was shocked to find a huge Toyota logo which was the first thing he checked after getting his bag back.

It was all done in front of his other friends who I am sure would also be party to it. Bad luck to the Toyota owner and wish that was the last by this kid. Hope he learns and passes on the message to other kids in school as well as kids present there. Though the results are unknown other than my car being spared till date, all this was done gently without violence. Wonder whats with moral science classes in schools these days though.

Last edited by v.anand : 25th March 2011 at 13:20.
Old 25th March 2011, 14:00   #493
BHPian

@anand, that's a great thing you have done! If we remember during our teenage time how we used to flick ripe/raw mangos, guavas, imlis from trees on the way to school or back home, things are much easier to handle.

The problem, as I understand, is in the upbringing of the modern day kids. They are not at fault; the society they are in is to fault. If you consider this from their side, here is what is a more-or-less common scenario:

both parents are working and kinds are growing up with maids around. Can they replace the warmth of the family members like grand parents, uncles, aunts etc? No way. The family support system around a kid is very thin nowadays.

Parents are busy in scaling new heights in their profession. Even if they are back home, after a tea/snack, some stupid goddamm meeting they get into over the phone that goes on till late in the night. And by that time, the kid is dead asleep. Do they have time to talk, play, sit together, helping with homework for their kids? Many times, no.

So what else do we expect?

-Pratim
Old 1st April 2011, 23:10   #494
BHPian

Mumbai:Car logo / monogram thieves caught !!

As per the motoroids site, Mumbai police have busted the seven member gang of badge stealers.
The site states that the cops will return the logos to the public on a first come first served basis, since there is no way to determine whom they belong to.
Breaking: Badge stealers' gang of Mumbai busted!
Old 2nd April 2011, 00:00   #495
BHPian

I got the badge stolen from the trunk of my BMW 3 series with some kind sharp pointed stuff like screw driver .I am getting it sourced from ebay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks