Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2011, 04:29   #496
BHPian

Re: Mumbai:Car logo / monogram thieves caught !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
As per the motoroids site, Mumbai police have busted the seven member gang of badge stealers.
The site states that the cops will return the logos to the public on a first come first served basis, since there is no way to determine whom they belong to.
Breaking: Badge stealers' gang of Mumbai busted!
Maybe they didn't get their hafta Seriously, if they wanted to do something, arrest the mechanics who sell this fake logos. Everyone knows where they are being sold in Mumbai. Eradicate it from the roots only then you can stop this. You arrest 100 teenagers practicing this, another 100 will join the gang, but if the police arrest the sellers, maybe it would come to an end.

Last edited by prateekm : 2nd April 2011 at 04:35.
Old 2nd April 2011, 07:22   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
As per the motoroids site, Mumbai police have busted the seven member gang of badge stealers.
The site states that the cops will return the logos to the public on a first come first served basis, since there is no way to determine whom they belong to.
Breaking: Badge stealers' gang of Mumbai busted!
Thank you for this (somewhat) heartening news. I lost my VW Vento front logo at Vasai's Suruchi beach on Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at around noon. The sad part is, I even know who the culprits are, but was helpless.

I went with my family and dog in the car to Vasai beach. There was a lonely shop next to the beach and I parked my VW vento next to that. I returned in less than ½ hour to find the front logo stolen. When I took the photograph of a boy in a motorbike along with the shopkeeper, they got very aggressive and demanded that I erase the photograph, failing which they would not let my car go. My dog came to my rescue when he jumped out of the car and stared at them with a deep growl. Before letting go of my car, they challenged me to lodge a complaint at the local police station. When I went to the nearest policy chowky, to my surprise, the constable on duty refused to file an FIR stating that this is a very common problem and that they would try to retrieve the logo and let me know (which they never did till date).
Old 2nd April 2011, 10:40   #498
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar View Post
The sad part is, I even know who the culprits are, but was helpless.

Seething with anger when I read this. What lawlessness.
Old 8th April 2011, 22:11   #499
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India

No activity in the last seven days on this once active thread. Does it mean that the logo stealing epidemic is dying down? Furthermore, don't notice new cases of logo theft these days. Are my eyes cheating me? Can we usher in a new era of freedom?
Old 8th April 2011, 22:45   #500
BHPian

@dot it might be the case that logo theft racket has gone down since All car manufacturers and OEMs have reduced the prices of New logos ridiculously which kills this racket instantly.
Old 8th April 2011, 23:43   #501
Senior - BHPian

^^ Is there any concrete news of Logo prices dropping? And if yes by how much? Any Skoda, VW owners?
Old 8th April 2011, 23:48   #502
BHPian

I was charged INR 850 for Fiat pair.
Old 9th April 2011, 05:52   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
^^ Is there any concrete news of Logo prices dropping? And if yes by how much? Any Skoda, VW owners?
I was charged about Rs 1,700 for (Vento's) front VW logo.
Old 9th April 2011, 07:48   #504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
No activity in the last seven days on this once active thread. Does it mean that the logo stealing epidemic is dying down? Furthermore, don't notice new cases of logo theft these days. Are my eyes cheating me? Can we usher in a new era of freedom?
You dreamer you! The epidemic is by no means over. Every day I spot VWs, Skodas and recently even Hyundais with their logos ripped out.

On recent Aurangabad trip, was parked next to a silver Vento and the owners were apparently sympathising with my missing logos (I was inside having breakfast, friend told me) and actually wondering when their own ones would do the vanishing act.

Like msprabhakar reported, everyone incuding the cops knows who's doing this. It's just apathy and the thought that "it's just a cheap logo" that keeps this kind of thing perpetuating.
Old 9th April 2011, 13:07   #505
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I saw intracity Volvo of NMMT (Navi Mumbai municipal transport) with its front logo missing! I am wondering whether this too is a case of theft! What makes me think so is that everything else around the logo was intact, just the logo was missing.
Old 9th April 2011, 19:08   #506
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Eradicate it from the roots only then you can stop this. You arrest 100 teenagers practicing this, another 100 will join the gang, but if the police arrest the sellers, maybe it would come to an end.
Instead of waiting for others to take action, if the stupid owners stop buying from these unauthorized sources, if will have more effect.
Old 9th April 2011, 19:16   #507
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@dot it might be the case that logo theft racket has gone down since All car manufacturers and OEMs have reduced the prices of New logos ridiculously which kills this racket instantly.
Are you sure about this. It is a very good news if all OEMs have reduced prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You dreamer you! The epidemic is by no means over. Every day I spot VWs, Skodas and recently even Hyundais with their logos ripped out.
Damn, my dreams are dashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Yesterday I saw intracity Volvo of NMMT (Navi Mumbai municipal transport) with its front logo missing! I am wondering whether this too is a case of theft! What makes me think so is that everything else around the logo was intact, just the logo was missing.
Quite possible that the Volvo logo occupies a rare and prized position in some boy's collection.
Old 10th April 2011, 18:54   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

that is easy to do, right? blame the victim!

i dont buy any logos from chor bazaar and nor do a lot of affected owners on this thread. please don't insult us by calling us stupid, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Instead of waiting for others to take action, if the stupid owners stop buying from these unauthorized sources, if will have more effect.
Old 14th April 2011, 14:42   #509
Senior - BHPian

Damn! This logo stealing is no longer restricted to any particular brand.

Yesterday I saw a spanking new white Jaguar in Baner with front logo stolen.

From Jaguars, BMWs to Hyundais, Fiats with VW and Skoda as most affected brands. This has got to stop somewhere and soon enough.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:52   #510
BHPian

Someone tried to rip the rear three pointed star from the C. Thankfully, the front has the Sports grill instead of the logo ornament.
The rear logo broke but did not come off completely. Even though it looks crappy for the time being with a half broken logo, im extremely happy it broke rather than come off

Last edited by Xehaust : 14th April 2011 at 17:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks