Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 16:53   #571
BHPian

Re: Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India

Not for even first time, never hit the grey market at all. That way you only end creating demand for these logos, and thats how this business is flourishing.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:45   #572
BHPian

I would rather have the logos promptly removed after the initial delivery photo session and keep them safely tucked away ( till i need them again when i sell the car) instead of living in perpetual fear of the logo being stolen away. Especially if the logos were expensive as those belonging to BMWs, Mercs, Skoda, VW etc.
Old 26th December 2011, 13:42   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I was victim of a logo theft- the car my 1987 Maruti 800!
I would assume that because there are so many Maruti cars around, that should mean there are lots of potential customers around so if your car's logo was stolen it could be sold off to lots of people with accident damage and lots of workshops.

If I had a paintbrush, some oil paint, and a filler or carbon fiber repair kit, I would patch up the holes from the logo and work out a master piece right there with the missing-logo-area as the canvas.
Old 26th December 2011, 19:11   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I would assume that because there are so many Maruti cars around, that should mean there are lots of potential customers around so if your car's logo was stolen it could be sold off to lots of people with accident damage and lots of workshops.

If I had a paintbrush, some oil paint, and a filler or carbon fiber repair kit, I would patch up the holes from the logo and work out a master piece right there with the missing-logo-area as the canvas.
True Nitin,but I do not really know what these fellows get by stealing these kinds of Maruti/Suzuki logos that may be selling for Rs 40/- or may be a few rupees more or less.They may be petty thieves.
The organised theft rackets are by gangs or individuals who steal the costlier ones on Volkswagens, Skodas, Mercs, BMW's and so on and resell them to earn in thousands.
Old 26th December 2011, 20:43   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
True Nitin,but I do not really know what these fellows get by stealing these kinds of Maruti/Suzuki logos that may be selling for Rs 40/-.
Thank you for your reply. I always thought my logo was safe because it's a Maruti. After your report of the stolen Maruti logo, I would have to keep an eye on the car.

BTW, my next door neighbours rented out a portion of their house so the tenants park outdoors - they have a Skoda and their logos are safe but they had their windshields were broken twice in the middle of the night. There are trucks passing through here so one theory is that a truck may have sent a small rock flying into its windshield but the neighbours believe there is mischief at work.
Old 26th December 2011, 22:31   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
BTW, my next door neighbours rented out a portion of their house so the tenants park outdoors - they have a Skoda and their logos are safe but they had their windshields were broken twice in the middle of the night. There are trucks passing through here so one theory is that a truck may have sent a small rock flying into its windshield but the neighbours believe there is mischief at work.
In the city I live in viz. Nagpur, early last year miscreants broke windshield of about 20 cars parked outside the residences in a single night.
During January 2011 end, again, in my residential area some miscreants committed the act again. My neighbour's Swift was a victim and so were some 4 to 5 other cars parked outside in our locality. It was during dawn at around 4.00 am, when I heard a bike engine sound and some sadistic, villain like laughter and then a cracker like explosive noise. By the time I woke up, it was all over and the criminals fled on the bike.
They were caught by the police later and were found to be juveniles who did it for fun.
So it can be the handiwork of miscreants in your area, but the breaking emits an explosion like noise.
Old 31st December 2011, 11:57   #577
BHPian

My brother in law lost the front logo of his Polo after just 3 days of ownership in Mangalore. I wonder why Volkswagon does not warn new owners about the possibility of logo theft. Better still, they (and the Fiats, Scoda's, etc) and other dealers must ensure that the logos are stuck firmly using a permanent adhesive before delivery.

Car manufacturers are also making a killing here. How do you justify a 1.7k for a logo? Instead of making it cheaper, they should make it self destruct (snap or break off) if someone tries to remove it. No bombs required here, just common sense.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:24   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
My brother in law lost the front logo of his Polo after just 3 days of ownership in Mangalore. I wonder why Volkswagon does not warn new owners about the possibility of logo theft. Better still, they (and the Fiats, Scoda's, etc) and other dealers must ensure that the logos are stuck firmly using a permanent adhesive before delivery.
It's not mandatory for car manufactures to issue warning for everything. Anything can happen to your car, it can be stolen within 3 days of ownership. You need to park the car in safe location, i.e within your bldg parking. That still doesn't guarantee your car is theft proof.
Regarding the adhesive part, its up to us, this part too is not compulsory by the dealer. If we ask them they might oblige.

Quote:
Car manufacturers are also making a killing here. How do you justify a 1.7k for a logo? Instead of making it cheaper, they should make it self destruct (snap or break off) if someone tries to remove it. No bombs required here, just common sense.
Agree with you on this part, VW's, Skoda, Merc, BMW really have very expensive logos. Manufacturers should come up with a logo which breaks itself if anyone try's to pry it out.
Cars with high snob value have very expensive logo's. Another price we pay for owning such cars. Even I too own a VW.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:29   #579
BHPian

Quote:

Nothing new. Seen a Red Vento which has ribbons on bonnet (again possibility of being recent purchase) with no front and rear VW logo.
Recently my friends Polo's "VolksWagon" and a wheelcap got stolen.

Lucky that I am from Suzuki stable.
My choice would be to get the logos and badges done with Chrome Films @ local radium shop or the steel plates from local name plate vendor.

Those are best bet to have close to original looks and keep the theives uninsterested rather than keeping the debadged drive.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:32   #580
BHPian

Or better still, find a way to attach a taser to both logos in the front and back. That would be deterrent enough, at least initially
Old 19th January 2012, 20:20   #581

I am trying to buy Chrome logos for my Esteem Di. Can any one suggest where can I buy them?
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:24   #582
BHPian

My BMW x1 logos[front and back] got nicked on Saturday :( In my office complex that too.
BMW is quoting 2700 per piece
Old 24th January 2012, 11:15   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
My BMW x1 logos[front and back] got nicked on Saturday :( In my office complex that too.
BMW is quoting 2700 per piece
I think you should definitely look at installing a Car Black Box, it will securely capture front and back video and also interact with GPS while driving and will also monitor the vehicle when it is parked.

Caidrox is a good brand if you are starting off; ZMC Automotive

BTW if you have zero depreciation cover insurance, will they cover the logo replacement?
Old 24th January 2012, 11:45   #584
Senior - BHPian

Here's what I saw a few days ago in Hinjewadi.
Pretty innovative, if you ask me. Doesnt look that bad either.

Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-img2012011200218.jpg

"V" Must be his initials or something.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:24   #585
Senior - BHPian

pretty nice job! Last time when, my logo's were nicked, I got them replaced with MGA. This time, if they get nicked, I am going to fix a logo that may not find too many takers...any guesses?

DC logo!!!
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks