Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 11:13   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Happened again. Third time now. From different locations in South Bombay. Good localities all.
I am worried that this time they should not break your plastic grill away in trying to remove the logo, that would be more damaging than anything.

Why dont you look at something like a good quality plastic logo with chrome finish. You can get it made with a local manufacturer who does plastic die work, with the die and material wont cost much as a one time cost + the advantage, if they remove it breaks so useless for the thieves.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 11:45   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I am worried that this time they should not break your plastic grill away in trying to remove the logo, that would be more damaging than anything.

Why dont you look at something like a good quality plastic logo with chrome finish. You can get it made with a local manufacturer who does plastic die work, with the die and material wont cost much as a one time cost + the advantage, if they remove it breaks so useless for the thieves.
Exactly that is what a BMW 3 series owner did here, fed up of logos being ripped. He bought cheap Bmw stickers and pasted them on hood and bonnet.
Old 11th April 2012, 19:56   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. Let me ask around if someone can find me a solution. Or i'll ask my denter to cover the logo with a thin layer of filler and spray paint the whole thing matt black again and it will become an integral unit. What say?
Old 12th April 2012, 20:20   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl
Thanks. Let me ask around if someone can find me a solution. Or i'll ask my denter to cover the logo with a thin layer of filler and spray paint the whole thing matt black again and it will become an integral unit. What say?
Might work. The thief might think the logo's already been stolen and leave it alone. On the other hand, he may be a clever bugger and flick the black logo... may sell at a higher premium due to the novelty factor!
It's probably been said many times on this thread, but this is such a sickening phenomenon. Ultimate irony - recently spotted a logo-less Merc standing next to an auto with a shiny 3 pointed star sitting proudly on its behind :(
Old 12th April 2012, 21:07   #605
BHPian

A very disturbing trend, I heard that theft is mostly done by school student at least in Nagpur, there was news item in news paper too, they pick this easily and are less suspected to do anything like this and that's why they do this and sale them to local garage who sell them as second hand to people who need them. A school boys gang was caught by local police and that's how this came to light. Be sure to check if you see some unknown boys around you prized possession !
I see lot of this happening to VW and Skoda in the middle range as they have a very prominent logo and looks very bad once they are not there
-Pramod
Old 18th April 2012, 09:37   #606
BHPian

My Civic Boot-lid and Front grill logos were stolen last evening between 5 PM and 8 PM. And Frankly speaking, even if we got the car Pre-Worshipped (just 6 months back :( ), it is depressing to see it in such a state.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:00   #607
Senior - BHPian

On a witty note, saw a fabia in front of me last night & right where the logo usually stands ,there stood a white circular sticker which said 'STOLEN'.
Since it was pretty dark i could not make out if he had actually done that OVER the logo which might actually be there or perhaps could be nicked and he came up with this.
Whatever the scenario kidding or serious ,i say the guy had a wicked sense of humor .
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 23:30   #608

First 3 letters "MOD" (unintended pun!) of the steel MODI HYUNDAI emblem at the back of new i10 purchased 3 weeks ago are ripped off, while either parked in my society in broad daylight or while I had parked it at mulund check naka for tea and cigarette late last night, where I wasn't too far away from the car for too long. I don't drive it to work, hence I only noticed it in the evening while returning from work. My heart sank when I noticed it while passing, I didn't dare go up close and check for any damage. I wonder how they must've done it. Does it scrape the colour underneath? Is there any harm to the body other than the style?
Old 11th June 2012, 20:10   #609
Senior - BHPian

Saw this VW without the logo on last Sunday night at the parking lot of Obron Mall. Logo, Stolen or lost, is missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-vw-emblem.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 11th June 2012 at 20:11.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:48   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
The star costs 3k each time and i'm extremely angry. Last two times i had used araldite to fix the star and last time also applied feviquik to the edges. Car was parked for ten minutes on the road and the star was gone.

So this morning, armed with a couple of wire ties i went and secured the start to the grill in an attempt to hopefully deter the thieves (in addition to the concoction of araldite and feviquik):
I think that plastic ties are same as used for locking poly-bags by Super-markets. The plastic is of soft quality and can be easily cut with a blade. It really wont serve the purpose, rather use a thin Galvanized wire. I usually cut those poly-bag locks with a paper knife and it cuts like butter smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Plastic ties can be easily cut with a blade. I really doubt that they will provide any protection.

You could use a metal wire to secure the logo. A metal wire cannot be cut easily, the thief would need a tool like a plier to cut a metal wire.

Rohan
A friend of mine has actually done it for his VW badge. I don't have the snaps after fastening, will post them as soon as I get them.
Old 29th June 2012, 16:28   #611
BHPian

Here are the snaps of new VW badge, it almost looks like original and made of plastic (not sure if the original is also a plastic one or chrome plated metal). He got it for 1000 bucks without bargain from Nanapeth, Pune.

Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-dsc00844.jpg

Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-dsc00846.jpg
Old 29th June 2012, 18:24   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

You get the original from VW for some 1700/- why buy fakes for 1000?
Old 29th June 2012, 18:52   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricksharp View Post
First 3 letters "MOD" (unintended pun!) of the steel MODI HYUNDAI emblem at the back of new i10 purchased 3 weeks ago are ripped off, while either parked in my society in broad daylight or while I had parked it at mulund check naka for tea and cigarette late last night, where I wasn't too far away from the car for too long.
If thats a dealer logo thats been taken off, I would just take off the rest of it. But then I am not someone who likes to have any dealer specific stuff on my car. Perhaps you have a different opinion. I hope there is no harm done to your car.
Who would want to flick a Mod emblem?! is that an abbreviation for other terms or is it a different word when fitted upside down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You get the original from VW for some 1700/- why buy fakes for 1000?
Your signature is a bit ironic noopster!
Unless iSpoke has put in a typo and intended to say 100 bucks, I would not buy a fake one for that price too.

Last edited by selfdrive : 29th June 2012 at 18:59.
Old 30th June 2012, 21:05   #614
BHPian

There are a couple of solutions to this issue. Both have been tested by us ( a couple of DIYers) and it worked pretty well.

1 - Instead of using araldite (or epoxy adhesive), use a rubber based adhesive like Fevibond or StikFast. Remember to let the glue dry for atleast 10 mins (warm temperatures) to 20 minutes (cool temperatures) and ensure there is no water there before you stick the surfaces.
Logic - Epoxy adhesives harden and typically the support they provide will reduce due to the shocks it receives. Resin/rubber adhesives tend to absorb shock better (know this from my colleagues on shop floor).

2 - For solid logos (BMW, Skoda) fill the area around the logo (in case it is recessed) with silicon glue (ResiBond69). this will not allow the thief to easily insert a screw driver below the logo. The glue is almost transparent and will not come off easily. For raised solid logos (BMW front), surround the logo with a ring of telephone wire which has been treated with silicon glue.

3 - For logos with gaps (MB, VW, etc) - Tie it down with elastic (yes you read it right!). Elastic (not from your underwear) but the kind that is thin (typically covered with cloth sheath). You should be able to get it from shops which have tailoring stuff. The elastic you need is very thin.It will be barely visible and is pretty difficult to cut off, esp if tied tight. And over this you can put a plastic tie. The thief will try to cut the plastic tie but the elastic will not let that happen. Just ensure that the elastic is exactly below the plastic tie (hidden).

P.S.: An easy places to get the elastic is from Bra's. Underwired ones even have some nice wire which is sheathed and cannot be cut easily. The only difficult part to explain why it is needed
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 00:49   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post

1 - Instead of using araldite (or epoxy adhesive), use a rubber based adhesive like Fevibond or StikFast. Remember to let the glue dry for atleast 10 mins (warm temperatures) to 20 minutes (cool temperatures) and ensure there is no water there before you stick the surfaces.

2 - For solid logos (BMW, Skoda) fill the area around the logo (in case it is recessed) with silicon glue (ResiBond69). this will not allow the thief to easily insert a screw driver below the logo. The glue is almost transparent and will not come off easily. For raised solid logos (BMW front), surround the logo with a ring of telephone wire which has been treated with silicon glue.

Just noted today that my front Logo of the BMW was not straight. On close inspection, it had actually come off loose. But i'm so glad its still with me and not stolen. I took it off. The back side had a soft sticky glue which was creamish in colour. (maybe Maverick can tell us, what the company uses)

Luckily due to torquecurve's post, will get myself some Resibond69 tomorrow. Just wanted to confirm, Should I be using Resibond69 only or alongwith Fevibond & secondly, I didn't quite understand the part of the telephone wire. Could you explain that. Or did you mean, after the logo is glued, attach a transparent wire of the inside of the telephone wire over the periphery so that there's no gap to insert a screwdriver. ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks