Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:37   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India

I would suggest that manufacturers should start making these as breakable logo(nobody removes and fixes these logos back), if you remove it breaks.

They can technically build the whole logo with weaker points every 1 inch of length which will break the logo if someone tries to pluck it with a screw driver etc. Once the thieves know that the logo will break, they will stop plucking it.
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:38   #617
BHPian

What a bunch of morons who picked on my car.
Pulled out the logo on the back, unlucky at it they broke it into half and left hell a lot of scratch on my bumper and around the logo.
If only if i get my hands on whom ever was responsible for this...
Such a painful thing to see. Its going to cost me a lot to paint and find a new logo.
Just utter nonsense our country population is costing us.

Heard there is no car in Mumbai with the logo, must be such a soreness to your eye on the road.
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:50   #618
BHPian

This topic just hit my nerves. Its terrible here in hyderabad.
I have got mine replaced 2 times, stuck it with Araldite this time around, safe till now, touchwood

Most fiesta's have logos missing here, morons picking on each other or what ?
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:10   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLow View Post
Just noted today that my front Logo of the BMW was not straight. On close inspection, it had actually come off loose. But i'm so glad its still with me and not stolen. I took it off. The back side had a soft sticky glue which was creamish in colour. (maybe Maverick can tell us, what the company uses)

Luckily due to torquecurve's post, will get myself some Resibond69 tomorrow. Just wanted to confirm, Should I be using Resibond69 only or alongwith Fevibond & secondly, I didn't quite understand the part of the telephone wire. Could you explain that. Or did you mean, after the logo is glued, attach a transparent wire of the inside of the telephone wire over the periphery so that there's no gap to insert a screwdriver. ??
Use Fevibond/StikFast to stick the logo to the car. Then use the Resibond to create a barrier around the logo (such that a screwdriver cannot be used to pop it out. The part about the wire is basically where you first surround the logo with a ring of telephone wire (any transparent/almost transparent wire will do) and then layer with resibond.

The whole motive is to not allow a thief to use a flathead screwdriver as leverage to pop out your logo.
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:15   #620
BHPian

Aah!! A bit late in reading the reply. I loaded the logo with resibond-SL, rtv silicon sealant - clear 330 (whatever all that means). It's stuck for now, surrounded the periphery with the same thing. Seems bonded, but will post further if it seems to get loose again. The original logo also had a soft glue inside so I assume this is fine for now. Let's see. Else will get the fevibond thing going. Thanks anyway.
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:34   #621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster
What a bunch of morons who picked on my car.
Pulled out the logo on the back, unlucky at it they broke it into half and left hell a lot of scratch on my bumper and around the logo.
If only if i get my hands on whom ever was responsible for this...
Such a painful thing to see. Its going to cost me a lot to paint and find a new logo.
Just utter nonsense our country population is costing us.

Heard there is no car in Mumbai with the logo, must be such a soreness to your eye on the road.
Also car manufacturers should try and include it in the body itself instead of sticking it as a separate piece. This will help immensely.
Old 24th August 2012, 13:06   #622
lsp
BHPian

Recently noticed that my SANTRO is only SANT now.
Someone took Ro. XG was gone long back. Never bothered to replace them.
Old 24th August 2012, 16:47   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Recently noticed that my SANTRO is only SANT now.
Someone took Ro. XG was gone long back. Never bothered to replace them.
Does that mean that your car has now realized its real potential and inner peace since its turned "holy" (Sant!). Would recommend having it replaced with a new one as monograms like this wont cost more than 30-50 bucks.
Old 17th September 2012, 17:08   #624
BHPian

I'm yet to see cases of logo theft in our city. We've fixed a logo for Polo that had it stolen in Mangalore and a Vento from Bangalore that is a regular victim.

A friend's skoda superb had it's front logo stolen while parked in Thrissur city yesterday. That's actually the first case of logo theft that I've ever heard of in Kerala. The logo costs a cool 4.5k at the dealer, suffice to say my friend is very, very worried. Hasn't bought a replacement yet.

I guess it's only a matter of time before the racket gets really established around here.
Old 18th September 2012, 12:33   #625
BHPian

Recently had a very close call with the logo theft on my brothers new F10 520d. We were at a family friends place for dinner in Lokhandwala, Mumbai. The building did not have adequate parking space for outsiders so we had to leave the beamer parked on the road across the street. It was late at night, and the driver was inside the building fast asleep in the security cabin. Me and my brother were at the window from where we could clearly see the car for a smoke.

Suddenly, we see a biker pull up right next to the Beamer, gets off the bike goes for the logo on the back. We immediately called the driver, he ran outside to see a stranger trying to remove the logo, before my driver could even catch hold of him. he jumped on his bike and zoomed off. He couldn't manage to scrape the logo out, but he did leave a nasty scratch with I guess a screw driver.

Old 18th September 2012, 15:08   #626
Senior - BHPian

It appears that the menace in Pune city has reduced a lot. I hardly see any Skodas or Fiats or any other cars without logos.
Probably people are bored of doing these things now.
Old 19th September 2012, 02:24   #627
BHPian

I have heard that this logo stealing is part a cycle of events. These stolen logos goes to the grey market where the affected car owners go for shopping. So to meet the demand they go for more logo stealing which increaces more demand. More people tend to come to grey market as they are cheaper by 1/10ths in most of the cases than those original company replacements.

So while shopping for a new logo in a grey market, you may be getting back your original logo itself which you had admired for long on your ride..
Old 19th September 2012, 08:29   #628
BHPian

The big boss has a British Racing Green Jaguar XF. Showed real taste there. We have also appreciated the fact that he drives himself to work in this one, and doesn't use his chauffeur.

Last week, the rear leaping cat went AWOL. Never felt so bad, to see an unholy mess left behind in the form of a grey double sided tape in the form of a Jaguar, just like the chalk outlines of an accident victim.
Hope it doesn't appear as a Jaguar autorickshaw.
That's the time I appreciated the Harley Davidson sticker logo on the tank. Inadvertently, it makes great sense in our market.
Old 8th October 2012, 20:12   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

A new from Times of India, Nagpur (27/09/2012) about the arrest of car logo thieves:

Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-picture-400.jpg
Old 9th October 2012, 17:34   #630
Senior - BHPian

Cant help but ask. What is the economic benifit of stealing a small car/inexpensive logo? How does it help the thief? Where does he/she sell it and to whom? What does the middle man do with the logo?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks