Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 16:02   #76
BHPian

I feel its a crime to buy an expensive car in a country like India. No road manners especially rickshaws, no stringent traffic rules, lower GC, bad roads, thefts, jealous guys scratching your car with a key, pandu's asking for more money etc. And as you say that you would not go and buy it from chor bazar, but its just a sane few like you who even have that thought. But seriously there is no solution to stop these thefts, you have to change the system, its damn complex dude. Thats why, we don't buy premium car brands. A cousin of mine bought a brand new Jetta and within 15 days his logo got stolen. Paid 1,800 bucks inclusive of fitting.

P.S.
Add another option to your poll:
I don't buy expensive cars because of this!

Last edited by anilkalvani : 9th March 2009 at 16:13.
Old 9th March 2009, 16:06   #77
BHPian

Timely thread Sahil. I find an alarming number of logos missing by the day - it certainly can't be the handiwork of only mischievous kids looking for pocket money...

Personally, if it happens to my Swift, I'd remove the 'Maruti Suzuki' and 'Swift' tags as well and have a clean looking rear.
Old 9th March 2009, 16:14   #78
BHPian

there is a definite increase in the number of cars without logos on bangalore roads, even Renault,Hyundai and Ford logos are stolen. I can see some teens could see BMW or Merc logo as a nice to have as a trinket but what use is a Ford logo other than to sell it in the grey market. If lost dont go to the Grey market. It may be your own car's logo that you end up buying back!
Old 9th March 2009, 16:30   #79
Senior - BHPian

There was an article on ACI on this trend. I see many cars without their logo's on the roads today and it's amazing to know that there is a booming grey market for logos!

A month or so back, I noticed that the Fiat logo on the front of my Palio was missing. I thought it must have fallen off but maybe it was flicked. Although, I wonder who would want a Fiat logo...

Last edited by amit : 9th March 2009 at 16:34.
Old 9th March 2009, 16:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

Found 3 Toyota logo's and one Honda logo in Vashi yesterday. All in good condition. Any one needing it can PM me their address and I'll send it across.
Old 9th March 2009, 17:08   #81
BHPian

I see a new Toyota Innova with the front logo missing in Vashi sect 9-A and every day i notice out of 10 cars, at least 3 would be w/o their logos!

Its increasing like a fire in the bush!

After skoda, toyotas are new favs i suppose.

Even old Fiat uno's logos missing...selling those as antic?? so as the retro Palios but why FIAT? desperation has some limits or not...
Old 9th March 2009, 19:10   #82
BHPian

Same in Mahim too

I had been thinking of posting this issue since last 2-3 months.. but couldnt

Didnt knew this thread existed.. so now contributing here..

Almost 90% of parked cars arround my work-place (all lanes behind the Mahim Church) have missing logos / monograms. My spark logo was lost three times.. after which i gave up and now car is without logo.

Thats not it.. all my colleagues cars parked around this place dont have a logo - there are Skodas, Swifts, Zens, Ikons, Sparks, Optras, Fiesta and endless list of cars here...

I dont think this is menace of kids... but definately some scam going on.
Old 9th March 2009, 22:07   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Found 3 Toyota logo's and one Honda logo in Vashi yesterday. All in good condition. Any one needing it can PM me their address and I'll send it across.
So here is the culprit

Just kidding
Old 10th March 2009, 10:01   #84
BHPian

Saw a superbly elegant car on road today - New Linea ... with both logos missing :-(

And another New VW Passat.. without logo
And a Honda Accord.. without logo

What is happening ??
Old 16th March 2009, 12:50   #85
BHPian

I too feel prey to this stupid menace.

The Mitsubishi logo from my lancer boot was ripped apart and stolen a few days ago.

unfortunately the guys ripping seem to be hell bent on removing the logo even if it breaks that's are fine . at least it mean potential customers for this racket.

Mine was flicked with some pointed obejct. I can see a long scratch where the logo initially was.

Luckily had picked up a nice bright shiny Mitsubishi logo a few weeks ago for 35 bucks from my local spares guys :-)

EDIT: Btw i first thought this was some gang mostly working in central and south bombay. Had never seen anything near the Northern suburbs. But I live in Kalwa (the next suburb to Thane) even more worrying now. The infection has now spread far and wide.

Last edited by leadf00t : 16th March 2009 at 12:55.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:02   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
Saw a superbly elegant car on road today - New Linea ... with both logos missing :-(

And another New VW Passat.. without logo
And a Honda Accord.. without logo

What is happening ??
+1

I also saw a brand new Linea with both the front and rear FIAT logo missing, i saw the car near Airoli bridge it was a Flamingo Red Linea.

Hell, what's happening !!
Old 16th March 2009, 14:55   #87
Senior - BHPian

Now I see almost 20% of all cars in Mumbai without logos. Is it the recession? Is it the plague? What is the point of this? Do the taxiwallahs want the logos on their padminis? In fact most of the private taxis have their logos missing as well.

The police recently had caught some well-to-do schoolboys indulging in these thefts. The problem is that we just accept and do not complain.

If my cars' logos are stolen, I am sure going to complain, even if it means 2 hours wasted at the local police station.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:18   #88
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Laura logo

My Skoda Laura Logo was stolen last month while the car was parked right in front of a marriage hall at Airoli.

Bought the replacement at the a local shop in thane for Rs. 150. The sticking tape they provide with it is too thick and the logo fits a bit away from the body. The adjacent shop was selling this for Rs. 500 while the Authorized one sells it for about 1K i guess.

I am sure this is not a kids racket but a big time money making job of a gang of thieves.

Yep buying from Grey encourages this, but then there does not really seem to be another practical option.

The police can very well raid the shops selling these logos as they would obviously not have the original bill for the same, but won't.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:37   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
My Skoda Laura Logo was stolen last month while the car was parked right in front of a marriage hall at Airoli.

Bought the replacement at the a local shop in thane for Rs. 150. The sticking tape they provide with it is too thick and the logo fits a bit away from the body. The adjacent shop was selling this for Rs. 500 while the Authorized one sells it for about 1K i guess.

I am sure this is not a kids racket but a big time money making job of a gang of thieves.

Yep buying from Grey encourages this, but then there does not really seem to be another practical option.

The police can very well raid the shops selling these logos as they would obviously not have the original bill for the same, but won't.
Was the Skoda which you are talking about is Maroon Color?

I saw one Skoda infront of Heggade Bhavna (Community Hall), Airoli, the Car's rear logo was stolen, it may be the same car which you are talking about.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:55   #90
BHPian

Do you park your Bimmer out on the open road while going places? And effective are those window locks in protecting your side mirrors?

Most Viewed