Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 22:27   #196
BHPian

Of what I've known and seen,
Kids, generally 13 or 14 years of age, say, in the 7th or the 8th standard are into this flicking. At least in Mumbai they are. I've known kids from my school which I won't name doing this and getting caught. This is sold to local dealers. In Mumbai, Sion-Koliwada is the hub.

I had once gone to Koliwada to get a sticker for my ride. I was talking to a shop owner and he said " Logo chori hoti hai aur apne pass aati hai. Log apni hi gaadi ki logo ko kharid ke leke jaate hai "

Translation : The monograms which are flicked, come to us. People pay for their own monograms then.
Old 27th January 2010, 22:42   #197
Senior - BHPian

I have half a mind to give shoot-to-kill instructions to a driver everytime someone attempts to steal a monogram.
Old 28th January 2010, 10:27   #198
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I saw this yesterday in Chennai. That too upside down
I have seen these auto guys putting old CDs, but now they have upgraded to Car Logos.
Attached Thumbnails
Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-auto-toyota-logo.jpg  

Old 28th January 2010, 16:34   #199
BHPian

Have lost my Laura's logos - cost 1900 for a pair and Rs. 150 for fitting(labour). Next time will fix it myself to save the labour cost. Its a big nuisance. Car was looking horrible without its logos. Couldnt imagine a logo would make such a drastic change in the car's looks and aesthetics aspects.
Old 28th January 2010, 23:03   #200
ada
BHPian

MAS dude are you not too close to the rick? In getting the photo I hope you did not bump him (personally I think he deserves that)
Old 28th January 2010, 23:30   #201
Senior - BHPian

I am horrified by just thinking how cars would look after a logo theft - it would lose out on its identity!
But I do not think that this is a problem in Kolkata - never heard anyone complain on logo thefts.
Old 30th January 2010, 13:21   #202
BHPian

Last week, the logos of 4 cars in our apartment in Amboli, Andheri(W) were stolen. Mine (Palio), Linea, Chevy and Honda.
Today our sweeper noticed a bag lying near our apartment building. It was full of logos. We got ours back and handed the rest to Amboli police station, near MTNL building, Jogeshwari.
It had logos of Toyota, Hyundai, Tata, few Skoda, BMW and Mercedes. The police is in possession of it now. Anyone from Andheri area can go to Amboli police station, near Jogeshwari and try their luck.

The police are conducting their investigation. The theory is the thief was having difficulty in selling the stuff perhaps, or left the bag for someone else to pick up.
Old 30th January 2010, 13:55   #203
Senior - BHPian

Few days back, parked alongside the road where I take my evening jog, I saw somebody park a brand new black Fabia. The first thought that came to my mind was, "poor guy is going to lose his logos." Two days later, rear logo missing. Third day, he got himself a new logo.

I can't help but feel sorry for him. Especially hurts with a brand new car.
Old 30th January 2010, 14:53   #204
BHPian

In my society a guy bought a brand new Punto and poor fellow in two days time both logos of his beauty were off the shelf. The car looks so bad without the logos.

By the way just one thought which brand logos are least in demand or may be difficult to take out.

My take: Mahinidra and Maruti - not taken off much.
Hyundai logo difficult to take out as I have hardly seens any Hyundai car without a logo.
Old 30th January 2010, 20:40   #205
Senior - BHPian

lost my monograms 3 times and now i just dont bother to put new ones ...
Old 31st January 2010, 10:58   #206
Senior - BHPian

It seems Mumbai tops in logo thefts although its present in other cities too.

I saw someone getting innovative as his safari is parked on the street. Took a picture of the 2.2l logo (before it got stolen) along with the size specs. Made himself a printed decal(sticker from the pic) of the same size and stuck it in the same place.

It doesnt look bad (although nothing can match the original logo) but doesnt get stolen now, smart.. huh!!
Old 1st February 2010, 16:08   #207
BHPian

Just lost my Honda City logo (rear-side). Someone cruelly removed it with a screw-driver / key and left scratch marks on the boot lid. I wish I could get my hands on that person. I bought a new one from the grey market. It is of a totally different size, but it looks OK. I am afraid it will be stolen again.
Actually I am planning to visit the local "Juna bazar / Chor Bazar" where I am sure I will find the correct price and at a good bargain too.
Old 1st February 2010, 16:19   #208
BHPian

I wonder what these guys gain by stealing car logos. I mean, its practically useless. Of course when the car owner goes to get it replaced, i would not be surprised if he buys the same logo which was stolen from him!
Old 2nd February 2010, 08:58   #209
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Been lucky so far, thanks to having monitored parking spots at work & down my house. Not a single logo stolen.

However, I can't help but suggest debadged rides. Many enthusiasts the world over intentionally debadge their modified cars for that "clean" look. Time for us to move on too? Yuvraj (BHPian Mad Monkey) has done a pretty neat job with debadging his Skoda RS. Believe me, it looks wicked.
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:17   #210
Team-BHP Support

GTO it isn't easy to debadge some cars. Have a look the VW Jetta.

The logo on the boot is sunk into the body. There is a depression in the boot exactly meant for the logo. Once you debadge it, there will be a hole there.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd February 2010 at 09:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks