Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 11:25   #301
Senior - BHPian

After loosing even fake skoda logo second time, i have stuck stickers now. hope they stay for a while.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:31   #302
Senior - BHPian

Does lodging a complaint with the local Police do any good? Is it really woth the time spent? Did anybody have a positive effect by lodging a police complaint?
Old 26th October 2010, 11:42   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I really wonder why is this menace growing at such alarming pace? It is indeed a menace, and wonder what is the police doing to stop it.
Demand fuels supply. Only if the grey market logo dealers stopped buying these stolen logos, life would have been better for car owners. The thieves thrive only becoz these grey market areas buy logos from them.

My Honda's front logo was stolen 3 times. The rear logo was ripped off along with the chrome strip (model previous to ZX) 2 times. The chrome strip+logo costs 4.3K. Had it changed once, then gave up. Swift's rear logo has been ripped off twice. Got one fixed last week.

In Mumbai, Skoda, VW & Honda logos seem to be the favourites.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:51   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Demand fuels supply. Only if the grey market logo dealers stopped buying these stolen logos, life would have been better for car owners. The thieves thrive only becoz these grey market areas buy logos from them.
The demand itself is created by stealing. Grey market would buy almost everything and anything thats original. The menace can stop only people stop buying in grey market. May be auto manufacturers should reconsider the pricing of these cosmetic things and make it affordable. 4.3k for the set is whopping and these owners are more likely to visit grey market. If the same costed 500-600, they would 100% visit showroom
Old 26th October 2010, 13:57   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
The demand itself is created by stealing. Grey market would buy almost everything and anything thats original. The menace can stop only people stop buying in grey market. May be auto manufacturers should reconsider the pricing of these cosmetic things and make it affordable. 4.3k for the set is whopping and these owners are more likely to visit grey market. If the same costed 500-600, they would 100% visit showroom
I agree. I wish car manufacturers would consider replacing the logos with stickers. Would save everyone a lot of headache and some money as well. I have seen many Skoda and VW cars with stickers in place of logos and they don't look all that bad. The demand-supply-demand is a loop that has to be broken. This might be the only way. Having said that, a Suzuki logo costs around Rs 70 which isn't too bad.
Old 26th October 2010, 14:40   #306
Senior - BHPian

Substantial VW & Skodas are seen with stickers nowadays because IMO each Skoda's monogram might be getting stolen multiple times ! Its horrendous , the amount of monogramless Skodas seen nowadays. Most owners might be opting for the original set at first and finally out of frustration may go in with the stickers.
All manufacturers making stickers standards is one way of ending the nuisance but then, a Beemer/Audi/Merc/Jag with a sticker in place of monograms is something most (including me) wouldn't be able to digest !
Old 26th October 2010, 15:04   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Substantial VW & Skodas are seen with stickers nowadays because IMO each Skoda's monogram might be getting stolen multiple times ! Its horrendous , the amount of monogramless Skodas seen nowadays. Most owners might be opting for the original set at first and finally out of frustration may go in with the stickers.
All manufacturers making stickers standards is one way of ending the nuisance but then, a Beemer/Audi/Merc/Jag with a sticker in place of monograms is something most (including me) wouldn't be able to digest !
Yes, Skodas are the worst affected. Its rare to see one with both logos intact. Its disheartening considering the cost of the original logos especially the Beemers/Audis, etc. I know a guy who recently bought a Skoda. He personally had both logos taken off at the showroom during delivery and replaced them with stickers before driving out. Sounds a bit crude but this kind of justifies the "Prevention is better than cure" adage
Old 26th October 2010, 15:27   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting read ... The Evolution Of Automaker Logos

I bet most of these would be available at chor bazar
Old 26th October 2010, 15:55   #309

I had my Innova logo stolen two years back. Checked with the dealer then and it was some INR1000. Didnt replace it as was not sure it will not get stolen again. Recently called Shinrai Toyota in Mumbai. They said the price is ~INR300 now. Looks the prices have come down.
However, Skoda logo still costs INR1250. Had asked Autobahn, Prabhadevi at the time of the test drive of Superb.
Old 26th October 2010, 17:52   #310
Senior - BHPian

This is where some of our car logos end up
Attached Thumbnails
Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-fordauto1.jpg  

Old 26th October 2010, 19:16   #311
BHPian

That is why it is good to use pay and park complexes. Never leave your car unattended. Anywhere I go, i always make sure to get my car in a basement or a valet inside the establishment's premises.
Old 26th October 2010, 19:59   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I really wonder why is this menace growing at such alarming pace? It is indeed a menace, and wonder what is the police doing to stop it.
Cops dont do anything unless you complain. How many here have actually walked up to a police station and lodged a complaint? To the cops, at the moment logo theft is a insignificant issue. Unless the number of complaints increase to a significant level with a bit of media coverage, nothing is bound to happen.

Why do you think the grey market stores exist in the first place? Cops just cant do anything because:
- They / their colleagues are already earning from these places. Catching them is a conflict of interest
- The group is backed by someone who the cops dont want to mess around with.
Old 30th October 2010, 17:18   #313
BHPian

Saw this Vento 15 min back, without the badge.

Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-vento.jpg
Old 31st October 2010, 00:31   #314
BHPian

voted for "Use authorized Source first time..."

I would prefer sourcing emblems from authorised dealer due to factors like finish, 3M glue etc. but if the theft is repetitive then unauthorised is fine too. WOuld never keep the car without emblems though.

What if in my case the emblem is falling because of non 3M glue, and I would be cursing the thief

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2010 at 20:01. Reason: Correcting spelling mistakes. Please PROOF-READ before submitting posts
Old 14th December 2010, 17:02   #315
BHPian

re: Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India

I too join the long list of frustrated car owners whose logo has been stolen. Lost mine yesterday in Pune & am still trying to figure out how (or where). My car is parked in a secure underground parking space in the office & at a stilt parking at home with security guards in the complex. Avoid taking the beemer if I am unsure of the parking options. Inspite of all these precautions my rear BMW logo is missing & I am cursing the idiots who rip these off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks