Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 23:54   #316
Senior - BHPian

re: Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen.to.know View Post
I too join the long list of frustrated car owners whose logo has been stolen. Lost mine yesterday in Pune & am still trying to figure out how (or where). My car is parked in a secure underground parking space in the office & at a stilt parking at home with security guards in the complex. Avoid taking the beemer if I am unsure of the parking options. Inspite of all these precautions my rear BMW logo is missing & I am cursing the idiots who rip these off.
Hi. Ajay, It is sad to hear that the logo of your BMW is stolen, Same car I followed to our Lavasa meet and have photos also. Ajay next time ask your service station guys to apply araldite on the new logo legs before fixing it , I did the same to my LINEA emotion and the logo is still there

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 14th December 2010 at 23:56.
Old 17th December 2010, 14:29   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi. Ajay, It is sad to hear that the logo of your BMW is stolen, Same car I followed to our Lavasa meet and have photos also. Ajay next time ask your service station guys to apply araldite on the new logo legs before fixing it , I did the same to my LINEA emotion and the logo is still there
Veerji - Thank you for the tip.
Old 17th December 2010, 16:45   #318
BHPian

Last night I had my Mercedes rear Star stolen again. This time in Pune.
Old 18th December 2010, 18:35   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Last night I had my Mercedes rear Star stolen again. This time in Pune.
Move to a good quality sticker, best option.
Old 20th December 2010, 13:02   #320
BHPian

I lost my Punto's logo from my office parking at Magarpatta city, Pune. Inspite of such tight security in all the Magarpatta towers, the logo was flicked.

It will cost me Rs 650 /-.
Old 20th December 2010, 13:56   #321
Senior - BHPian

I was in Mumbai last week and to my surprise in my colony not one car was with Logo, all the cars had their logo taken off. It must have been these thieves only. Good that it is not such a common occurence in NCR.
Old 20th December 2010, 14:08   #322
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note.....I now know where the demand is coming from.

Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-bmw.jpg
Old 20th December 2010, 14:48   #323

I Saw this beautiful white Volkswagen Polo with gaping holes in the front and the back where the monograms used to be. How malicious can these people get....
It be nice to use a screw driver and jimmy out the nose if you could catch one. "Happy thoughts."

Anyways, when I lost the Palio's badges and fortune motors in nerul told me it'd take about a month to get them, I drove to GTB Nagar and got duplicates. The shops are right next to the train station. They cost Rs. 100/- each and the quality wasn't that bad. Not as good as the originals, but the difference isn't discernable at a casual glance.
Hope this proves useful.
Old 20th December 2010, 16:53   #324
BHPian

I think the manufacturers should provide badges with a bolting/riveting mechanism rather than giving a stick on type.
Old 20th December 2010, 17:09   #325

Hey Palio 2005... You know what? Given the kind of characters we seem to be dealing with, they wouldn't mind rippig half of your car's front to get the badge. The ideal solution would involve high availability, low cost and badges that crumble if you try to pull them off.

You still have your original Palio Badges?
Old 20th December 2010, 18:08   #326
BHPian

If semi decent duplicates are available in the market then why are the originals being stolen? Do the ones buying them want an "original" logo over a duplicate one for their pos vehicles?

Sometimes I wonder if some of the thefts are just done maliciously/as a joke/misguided class envy.
Old 23rd December 2010, 17:20   #327
BHPian

As feared by me, today front badge of my Polo got stolen when I parked it on Tilak Road. It was a busy area so it must be couple of minutes job to remove one. Its a manufacturing defect and failure of German Engineering.

In Pune this is new fever. Few days back there was a story in news paper that school children are lured with computer games in exchange of stolen badges by a gang.

My polo is now looking like a Widow without Bindi.

I am yet to check but Polo badge must be costing more than 1000 Rs. If it is so I will surely not replace as I am sure it will again get stolen.

I think if these manufacturers stop selling it at premium (Actual cost I believe is not more than Rs 50) nobody will steal them as they will not have any resale value.

I will replace it now only if VW offers free replacement or when I want to sale my Polo.
Old 23rd December 2010, 17:42   #328
BHPian

Re: Pune: Stolen logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Few days back there was a story in news paper that school children are lured with computer games in exchange of stolen badges by a gang.
I think that's just to make the whole news article family friendly. More likely it's cigarettes and tobacco, as these are easily available and quiet "valuable" once they are scarce.

I too lost my rear Opel Astra logo a few months ago, and though it is a 14 years old car, I am yet to get over that loss. I can well imagine what you must be feeling with a new car.

I think the best bet is to put a same sized sticker of the logo and move on. It should be possible to get a reasonably accurate (and multi-coloured) replica cut by the guys who make stickers from PVC sheets.
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:07   #329
BHPian

Quote:
In Pune this is new fever. Few days back there was a story in news paper that school children are lured with computer games in exchange of stolen badges by a gang.
Not necessary a 'gang' to rob the logo's. I have seen autowallas having a fascination of putting the car logos on to their 3 wheelers. It is quite possible some insensitive jerk driving an auto got yours on the busy street..

BTW, had the same problem with my Santro & Indigo. Now why would someone want a TATA logo unless he's driving a rickshaw??
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:34   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My polo is now looking like a Widow without Bindi.
Classic statement.

But on the serious note is it that easy to rip the logo out?
Aren't they bolted on with screws???

Most Viewed