Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 18:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

2011 Hyundai Verna coming to Beijing Motor Show

Note from Mod : The 2011 Hyundai Verna Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

This thread = Closed

"Hyundai is all set to launch the all new Verna (or Accent as it is called in some markets) which will make its official world premiere at the upcoming Beijing Motor show which starts from April 23rd.

We have already covered the latest Hyundai in great detail starting with the first undiguised spy shot and the latest one which shows the car in even more detail.

The new sub-compact sedan from Hyundai adopts the same "fluidic design" language now made popular by the i20 hatchback and the recently launched Sonata sedan.

The new 2011 Verna is a radical departure when compared to the design of the current car and the basic shape sticks to the latest Hyundai DNA. The baby Sonata shape features four door and coupe like sloping roofline, swept back headlamps, a swoopy grille and rear view mirrors with integrated LED turn indicators.

The new Verna is expected to come with the direct injected version of the current 1.6 litre petrol engine while a high performance model may features a 2.0 litre direct injected petrol engine from the latest Sonata."

According to me, the new Verna with nice range of fuel efficient and decently powerful engines has the potential to upstage the Fiat Linea and the mightly Honda City in India. It can do what i20 has did in the premium hatchback segment.

Source: 2011 Hyundai Verna (Accent) Debutting At Beijing Auto Show | Autoholiks

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2011 at 16:43. Reason: Adding link to review
Old 21st April 2010, 19:45   #2
BHPian

It sure does look good! I always like the Verna but for the looks. I'm sure this will bring in more volumes to Hyundai if launched in India. Having said that the current gen Verna sells almost close to the SX4 volumes. May be Honda City volumes will change.
Old 21st April 2010, 20:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This car looks much better the current gen Verna sold in India. Since the Verna sales are at an all time low i am sure Hyundai India will be in a hurry to get this car here.

Hyundai please do not mess the dynamics this time again, the current gen Verna has everything right except styling and dynamics. And Yes we need an even more powerful diesel.
Old 21st April 2010, 21:13   #4
BHPian

I doubt if Hyundai would stop the current Verna. They might reduce the price and bring it below/at par with the Fiesta and bring the new Verna at the City range.

This is keeping in mind that the old Accent is still in production.
Old 21st April 2010, 21:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
I doubt if Hyundai would stop the current Verna. They might reduce the price and bring it below/at par with the Fiesta and bring the new Verna at the City range.
I feel the City is overpriced and at price the new Verna might not be accepted. The volumes for current Verna comes from the CRDi variant and pricing the current car close to Fiesta will mean killing the i20 CRDi sales.
Old 21st April 2010, 21:52   #6

The design seems to be heavily influenced by the Honda City -the front like the ANHC and the back(especially the tail-lamps) like the NHC.
Old 21st April 2010, 22:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

That looks much better...

Hyundai seems to have hired some good designers!!
Old 22nd April 2010, 00:08   #8
mkh
Senior - BHPian

The market is clearly eager for a competent sedan in the 8-10 lacs category, posing some competition to the city maybe. If the new verna has better road handling, and contemporary looks, its a sure winner.
I can see that the sedans list is slated to grow over the next year!
Old 22nd April 2010, 01:26   #9
BHPian

The new Verna does look influenced by the City like what some have said. This car may be priced in the same range as well. My guess is that its time to bid adieu to the Accent. The existing Verna will be offered at a lower price and all focus will be on this one. Any idea when its due in India?
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would think it will come to India as soon as possible. A little firming up of the suspension and a stonking diesel under the hood this should kill the city for good.
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:46   #11
BHPian

Me too. Looks so much like the ANHC.
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:49   #12
BHPian

For me most of the design looks similar to ANHC.

Finally a change in the design of Verna.
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

It'll be great if they can bring this to India. It looks good. I also believe that it can upstage the Linea and the City. All things said and done, the City has tremendous brand appeal in India, and the only way this can beat the City is by offering equally fuel efficient and powerful motors at a slightly less price, backed with better features and interiors.

We, the enthusiasts, might demand better dynamics than the current Verna, but the majority, who will actually buy the car, will be sold on the things mentioned above. Dynamics never really mattered in India.

Meanwhile, I'll go and buy the T-jet Linea(to be launched soon, I presume), which in my opinion, looks better in it's current avatar than this Verna . It'll surely be as good (if not better) as the new Verna.
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

They mated it with the City now!
Heard it doesn't look great in real life but with 125bhp diesel (or is it 116bhp ?) will you complain?
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulcarver View Post
The design seems to be heavily influenced by the Honda City -the front like the ANHC and the back(especially the tail-lamps) like the NHC.
I feel the design is influenced more by Toyota than Honda. Especially the front grills and curved lights.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks