Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 11:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Come to think of it, no one would even notice the Beat diesel test mules if they wore regular body colours. Its as if Chevy wants people to catch the car.
It has to be the case. All this adds to the hype i guess. If the car looked like a normal beat, this thread also would not have been started..!
Old 12th May 2010, 15:53   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I agree. Its a lame idea by GM India. Best way to stay un-noticed is to not do anything.

Driving around with all that cammo will only encourage people to snoop around and soon figure out whats going on.

If I were trying to hide something I really could! This seems to be a publicity stunt by GM..! and look it is working! we are discussing the various possible engine variants
Old 27th May 2010, 19:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

There are two of these cars always parked in the ITPL Multi Level Car Park. I have heard only one of them and can confirm it was a diesel. Guess the car was just cold started so the engine was audible.
Old 27th May 2010, 21:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
If I were trying to hide something I really could! This seems to be a publicity stunt by GM..! and look it is working!
The contrary is also possible. Some very silly things happen in very large companies because rules are carved in stone and people dont know when to apply them and when not to.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Spied : Beat LPG

@ MODS , Please move it to appropriate thread if needed .

Chevrolet Beat LPG test vehicle for the ARAI has been spotted on the Mumbai-Pune highway. Two Chevrolet Beats, a top end LT and a base model sporting ‘LPG compliance plates’ were spotted together.

The LPG Chevrolet Beat gets the LPG-filler opening right next to the fuel filler lid on the right side of the car. The LPG compliance plate on the car means that the car is only waiting for ARAI approval and once approved would be ready to hit showrooms.

The Chevrolet Beat LPG would be GM India’s second small car to come with a LPG option after the Spark LPG. The Beat is doing well in the market place but cannot match sales figure of rivals like the Maruti Suzuki Swift and the Ford Figo. and GM would be hoping to boost the Beat’s sales by offering the LPG version till the Beat diesel comes to take the segment by storm.

The Nissan Micra would also pose a serious threat to the Beat and hence to take on rivals GM India would widen the Beat range in India by offering the LPG version and a diesel version. The LPG version of the car could be launched by October while the Chevrolet Beat diesel could be launched by January 2011.

Credit for pics : Rushlane
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat LPG. EDIT : New pics on Pg.3-chevroletbeatlpgindiaspied1.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat LPG. EDIT : New pics on Pg.3-chevroletbeatlpgindiaspied2.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat LPG. EDIT : New pics on Pg.3-chevroletbeatlpgindiaspied3.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat LPG. EDIT : New pics on Pg.3-chevroletbeatlpgindiaspied4.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat LPG. EDIT : New pics on Pg.3-chevroletbeatlpgindiaspied5.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 13th July 2010 at 17:59. Reason: Correcting source
Old 7th July 2010, 16:18   #36
BHPian

@fz_rider
Nice find. I believe having seen a blurred picture of the Beat LPG somehwere on this forum. But these are way to clear and detailed.

Chevrolet will fund a whole lot of buyers with the entry of the LPG variant.
Timing wise, I feel this is exactly what the doctor prescribed.
Kudos.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:35   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw one at Ghoadbunder Road Thane 3 months back.
Old 7th July 2010, 17:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Saw the same vehicle on Pune-Mumbai Highway. Was on my bike then so could not click any pics!!

So this is being tested for FE is it?
Old 7th July 2010, 17:04   #39
BANNED

This will keep Beat sales ticking for Chevy. With the new WagonR sporting only Petrol(I guess I m right), the field is pretty open to the Beat to garner sales for economy conscious people with high city usage.

Good step by GM, India. Just one question. Does that ugly compliance plate need to be housed so prominently? It completely mars the looks of the rear end. Also, I guess its high time those LPG filling points had better made and looking filler caps. These are a straight lift out of autos.
Old 7th July 2010, 17:30   #40
Senior - BHPian

Second car after Spark?. I think they recently launched AVEO LPG.

Any way good move by GM.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:30   #41
BHPian

Its really a very good & wise move by GM India, in order to increase the sell of their vehicles along with giving the better fuel economy to the customers.
But this tiny zippy hatch (with LPG) should not be permitted to use as taxi.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Second car after Spark?. I think they recently launched AVEO LPG.

Any way good move by GM.
Its actually CNG.

Yes, the LPG version for Beat should definetly add to the sales. But why not a Diesel sooner?
Old 8th July 2010, 19:43   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm not too optimistic about the Chevy Beat LPG. Fact is, LPG is fast losing favour with new car buyers. Doesn't come as a surprise as the cost of LPG has been consistently shooting up. A more suitable alternate fuel would be CNG.

But, what I was really excited about was the Spark Electric. Too bad that project got scrapped after Mahindra took over Maini Reva.

What happened about the Beat diesel? IIRC, Chevy did talk about a release in the 3rd / 4th quarter of 2010.
Old 9th July 2010, 01:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm not too optimistic about the Chevy Beat LPG. Fact is, LPG is fast losing favour with new car buyers. Doesn't come as a surprise as the cost of LPG has been consistently shooting up. A more suitable alternate fuel would be CNG.

But, what I was really excited about was the Spark Electric. Too bad that project got scrapped after Mahindra took over Maini Reva.

What happened about the Beat diesel? IIRC, Chevy did talk about a release in the 3rd / 4th quarter of 2010.
GTO, is it confirmed news that Spark Electric project scrapped by GM?

It would be tough for GM to increase the sale now. Diesel is still 6months -1 year far and by that time I think VW and Nissan will have strong hold in the market.
Old 9th July 2010, 01:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Like GTO mentioned, LPG is really not a great option anymore, chiefly due to the rising costs.
I also find that "LPG compliance plate" irritating. Why does it have to be so ugly? It's the same with other cars too, but this looks hideous.

Most Viewed