Team-BHP - Chevrolet Beat LPG. EDIT : New pics on Pg.3
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Chevrolet Beat LPG. EDIT : New pics on Pg.3 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/80032-chevrolet-beat-lpg-edit-new-pics-pg-3-a.html)

While returning today from the office , spotted this camouflaged Beat . Is this a diesel version ?

1. Beat is already released so why bother camouflage it.
2. The registration was GJ-17. So it must be Halol plant where all diesels are manufactured.

sorry for the bad pic quality. was in my cab in a traffic situation.

--Vikrant

Did you see a black LPG cap on the right side? If yes, then the beat LPG is under test. Another website Indian autos blog also carried a spy shot of the beat LPG on its website a couple of days ago.

They could have merely camouflaged just the markings or even if LPG, the fuel tank cap. There could be some minor exterior changes here.

This blog entry says:
"The company will offer the Chevrolet Beat with a locally made diesel engine, but that is going to take almost an year. [b]Expect the diesel Beat by end-2010.[b] Those in India who were waiting for the diesel Beat are going to disappointed, sadly. But they can take solace from the fact that at least in New Delhi, diesel is soon going to be all ULSD – Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel – and prices are expected to go up a bit when that happens."

May be an ex-test mule which is yet to be repainted! I cant think of a reason why they would camouflage it for a Diesel engine! anyways, good catch!

Seems to be the CNG/LPG version on test. Makes sense to have a CNG/LPG version for the metros to rake in a few more numbers for the Beat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikrantj (Post 1849302)
1. Beat is already released so why bother camouflage it.

I agree. Its a lame idea by GM India. Best way to stay un-noticed is to not do anything.

Driving around with all that cammo will only encourage people to snoop around and soon figure out whats going on.

1.2L 3 cylinder engine with 80bhp - sounds pretty good. Its a viable option as diesels sell like hot cakes.

^^That's the specification for the petrol engine.

Saw the same car again being tested in the morning near my building. There was no noticle marking on the fuel lid to give away the type of fuel.

A ex-test mule not repainted may not seem possible since I don't think it is legal to drive a non-test (now that Beat was released couple of months ago) with a temp registration that too of Gujrat in Maharashtra.

--Vikrant

GM is working on 3 cyl. (936 cc) multijet DSL engine for Beat which will be available only by end 2010 from Talegaon plant, Maharashtra.

I had read in the past that GM too has licensed the Fiat's multijet diesel when they were partners with Fiat. So they can also try the (de-facto) national engine in their small cars.

Or could be a variant of the above as someone has suggested a new engine with different specs. This could be boost to the GM sales, especially when almost all of their competitors have diesel engines in their portfolio.

Saw a Beat LPG about a month back on Thane Ghodbunder Road, with GJ registration, it was late evening and felt that a good snap would not come with the mobile phone camera so did not bother clicking it. It sure is coming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix_rising (Post 1850151)
GM is working on 3 cyl. (936 cc) multijet DSL engine for Beat which will be available only by end 2010 from Talegaon plant, Maharashtra.

Nice! Shall we say 57 bhp and 142.5 Nm ?

Had a close look at same/similar Beat with similar 'test mule' decals on friday afternoon on paud road in pune. Didn't find any hanging wires or test instruments on/near dashboard (typically seen in test vehicles) unless it's hidden somewhere in glove box or elsewhere.