Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2006, 16:07   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Boy, I love Hyundai!! Guess who is looking at them closely, and in open admiration - Washington Post Article

GTO
Old 21st January 2006, 17:12   #62
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Boy, I love Hyundai!! Guess who is looking at them closely, and in open admiration - Washington Post Article

GTO

The launch of Sonata Embera has suddenly made Toyota and Honda both to sit up run towards to drawing boards.

[Off Topic] Correct me guys if I am wrong but I think that NCAP rating is based on how the cars absorb energy keeping occupants safe and not the car. Otherwise our Ambys would have scored highest on the NCAP rating. To save the occupants, designers design the car in such a manner that the car body absorbs the crash energy gradually instead of suddenly, something like a soft plastic or soft mud.
RK
Old 21st January 2006, 21:29   #63
BHPian

[SIZE=2]Recently purchased a hyundai accent for my gf in UK. Apart from the leaky sump (as we have salt on the road here) hence corroded but apart from that not bad of a car. Styling wise, it does have some nice bodykit out there for it and I do mean nice . Power from the 1.3 engine is acceptable although more power would have been nice. Hyundai new car these days I think it is looking quiet good in my opinion but just lack of that performance factor.[/SIZE]
Old 21st January 2006, 21:33   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer
Accent CRDi's engine is not developed by Hyundai, it is sourced to Hyundai by Detroit Diesel.
Only the current 3-pot doing duty in India. Elsewhere its been replaced by their own 4-pot development in both standard and VGT versions.
Old 21st January 2006, 22:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

Only the CRDi engines force me to change my opinion towards hyundai
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
If anthing, there is an incredibly thin line of difference in overall quality of a Hyundai versus a Honda. In terms of reliability, there is none.

Hyundai have only got to work on more refinement from the powertrains. Thats all.

GTO
The differene in quality is still there... and u still cannot compare the reliablility of Japanese cars like Honda's and Toyota's to a Hyundai. Though things are improving and FAST!
In india i respect hyundai for being proactive.
Old 3rd February 2006, 16:54   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
and u still cannot compare the reliablility of Japanese cars like Honda's and Toyota's to a Hyundai.
What nonsense? Have you ever heard Santro / Accent owners complaining of reliability problems? Compare any Hyundai Accents ownership over 1,00,000 kms to that of Honda Citys....Hyundais today are as trouble free as Hondas are.

GTO
Old 3rd February 2006, 16:58   #68
Team-BHP Support

Viper....where are you?!?
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:03   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
What nonsense? Have you ever heard Santro / Accent owners complaining of reliability problems? Compare any Hyundai Accents ownership over 1,00,000 kms to that of Honda Citys....Hyundais today are as trouble free as Hondas are.

GTO
No nonsense dude... have u ever seen a zen smoking from the exhaust or zen with an engine opened.... but i have seen santro's smoking on delhi roads even accents too.... but never seen a honda city do that even when it isnt kept well. My friend has one(OHC) has clocked around 150k kms... the only major repair till now has been the clutch overhaul n nothing else.
Hyundai still has to learn Honda efficiency and performance and toyota's refinement. No way its close to both of them in terms of engine performance + reliability.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 3rd February 2006 at 17:08.
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:05   #70
BANNED

Hey,
I agree with GTO Hyundai cars are as good as their Japanese counterparts in almost all aspects.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 3rd February 2006 at 17:07.
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:15   #71
Senior - BHPian

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...440373,00.html
read this... the new hyundai accent!
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:17   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hey,
I agree with GTO Hyundai cars are as good as their Japanese counterparts in almost all aspects.
Viper
And I feel the Getz is built better than the Esteem with richer quality of materials. I hated Hyundai as much as I hated the rickshawala's. But after driving the Getz my opinion changed. The best drive was in the Accent CRDi.
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:25   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
And I feel the Getz is built better than the Esteem with richer quality of materials. I hated Hyundai as much as I hated the rickshawala's. But after driving the Getz my opinion changed. The best drive was in the Accent CRDi.
Esteem is a 1990's model.... which is still sold by Maruti... u can't even compare both of them but yes u can compare the engines in both of them and we all know... esteems 1.3 engine wins hands down!
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:36   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...440373,00.html
read this... the new hyundai accent!
Thats an old, often-quoted link on the 2005 Accent.

Check out reviews of the 2006 on these links...you'll find more as you Google.

About.com

Automobile.com

Canadian Driver

Business Week
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:43   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Esteem is a 1990's model.... which is still sold by Maruti... u can't even compare both of them but yes u can compare the engines in both of them and we all know... esteems 1.3 engine wins hands down!
It does win hands down in Engine department but then over the years Maruti kept launching refreshed models of the Esteem with the only refreshments being head/tail lamp changes, they could have used better plastics atleast? One of my friend owns a 1987 Maruti 800 Type I and it is built better than any of the newer generation 800's. It doesn't rattle even after changing 3 owners since '87!

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd February 2006 at 17:45.

Most Viewed