Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2006, 04:55   #106
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Dont take it too personally. The santro WagonR debate will continue forever. Its one of those things which never go away.
OTOH I wouldnt advise you to do such stunts on your santro, or for that matter even wagon R. Tall boy designs overturn more easily than lower set cars. ITs plain physics. Nothing to do with hyundai here. If your center of gravity is higher, you will topple more easily, you may even be a merc or a BMW.
A side hit to a santro(doing 50kmph) by a 1 ton vehicle doing 20kmph can easily make it land on its roof(know from expirience). But such a hit wont topple an indica(know this from expirience too).
Now if we come to the skoda's it will take a lot more to topple that.
Regarding your drifting style, dont push your luck too much. None of the cars in that price range are made for doing such stuff, and that includes the wagon r, the indica, the palio etc., etc.,
Actually I don't drive this way through the ghat section most of the time, because I hate to hear too much noise from the tyres. I generally keep the car below 85 kph on the straight stretches and take corners more sedately.

As for the Santro overturning easily on a sideways impact, I agree that it is inevitable, given its light weight. But it is this light weight that makes it so agile and such a pleasure to drive, whereas the sluggish Indica is absolutely no match. So a compromise is inevitable, and I am prepared to lvie with it.
Regards, rks
Old 24th May 2006, 12:42   #107
Senior - BHPian

I can see a lot of similar views on Hyundai. I am an extreme critic of every car and have always wanted to find the perfect automobile..

After my Indica '02 caught fire, and the subsequent nagging quality issues, i was forced to change my vehicle and the choice was restricted to Indigo / Accent CRDi / Ford Ikon

As we already had an Indigo and were not too impressed by it, the choice was between Hyundai and Ford.

The test drive of the Accent CRDi changed my mind. I did the test drive almost 4 times from various dealers and on varying distances - around 20 kms before deciding that it is the car i need to purchase.

Ford has so much in the branding but the value is not there.. We also get outdated technology - Now the Fiesta 1.4 DuratorQ is the first CRDi from Ford.

The way HMIL markets these cars as well as their service is what makes them differrent. Maruti and Tata Motors are to learn a thing or two from these guys..

The onyl problem I've had with my accent is that inlet to the Turbo charger hose failing at 400 kms on the highway.. [result of Bad PDI by a not so good dealer who gives discounts]

will write about that later..But the accent has really held on very well. Have driven 16K kms in the last 8 months..

Wish HMIL all the best and hope others learn from these guys..
Old 24th May 2006, 14:53   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite

4. Hyundai Sonata Embera. Now believe me, whether you call it a copy cat or anything , the fact is, this car really rocks. Performance that can put to shame accord, and safety features that can put to shame a C-class.. this is the new Embera for you...

5. Tucson,Getz etc. again these cars are the latest enterants in world market, and even if you compare Tucson with Ford Endeavour, you will know that which company is selling the latest technology, and which is selling outdated trucks....

All in all, i think Hyundai is improving. The big thing is, they are learning... unlike Maruti and some others ...
Now now , dont go over board with those statements , Hyundai is obviously a company with massive cash reserves , it shows considering the kind of money they invest in continous product development.

Hyundai Embera is a good car no doubt but its not excelling in any specific department whether it comes to
  • looks
  • perfomance
  • Handling
  • Build
Engine has more specific out put than (old)accord though the soon to be launched new accord has equivalent specific output , but at the same time in terms of refinement hyundai leaves a lot to be desired .
Safety features more than a C - class ? may be features but not occupant safety

Old 24th May 2006, 15:28   #109
Senior - BHPian

I think we need to rethink about TATA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
I can see a lot of similar views on Hyundai. I am an extreme critic of every car and have always wanted to find the perfect automobile..

The way HMIL markets these cars as well as their service is what makes them differrent. Maruti and Tata Motors are to learn a thing or two from these guys..
Oops I dont think Tata has to be included coz the car they want in volume sales is Indica and Indigo and both are going extremely well . Safari and Sumo may not be but I dont think they can unless they make massive investment in product development . If they do that they will need to sell in more numbers to price it competetively or in other words make it a world car. I dont think they will with this model , may be the they will get it right with the safari currently under development .
And what Tata achieved with Indica is a testimony of what a right product in the right market can do
Old 24th May 2006, 19:19   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Actually I don't drive this way through the ghat section most of the time, because I hate to hear too much noise from the tyres. I generally keep the car below 85 kph on the straight stretches and take corners more sedately.

As for the Santro overturning easily on a sideways impact, I agree that it is inevitable, given its light weight. But it is this light weight that makes it so agile and such a pleasure to drive, whereas the sluggish Indica is absolutely no match. So a compromise is inevitable, and I am prepared to lvie with it.
Regards, rks
I am prepared to live with that "Sluggish" indica for a much better suspension, space and safety and the feeling of "sluggishness" being accentuated by that fact that its heavier!
By the way that lightweight also makes Santro fly at anything more than 100 kmph and gives it a horrible ride quality... if you are pushing your luck, then you are doing it, not that the car is capable.
Old 24th May 2006, 19:43   #111
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
I am prepared to live with that "Sluggish" indica for a much better suspension, space and safety and the feeling of "sluggishness" being accentuated by that fact that its heavier!
By the way that lightweight also makes Santro fly at anything more than 100 kmph and gives it a horrible ride quality... if you are pushing your luck, then you are doing it, not that the car is capable.
You are absolutely right in that Indica is definitely a safer car, as are the bigger, heavier sedans. When I said "sluggish" I didn't mean to run down Indicas; just that you have to pay a price for the increased safety. I have no doubt that the Indica is a good car and many people would prefer it for the reasons you mention.
Regards, rks
Old 25th May 2006, 10:19   #112
Senior - BHPian

Consumer opinion changes over time and in some cases, even does a complete U-turn also, as happened in the case of Jap products. Though it would be tough to believe, there was a time when Jap products had the same reputation in the US market that Chinese products have today, as far as quality is concerned. But today, Americans swear by Japanese products. Similarly, I guess Hyundai had some serious issues with their quality some years ago, but over the years customer perception of their quality has been increasing in the US. And in India, their sales figures show how customers swear by them. Though it is debatable whether they are on par with the Japs, they have to be given credit for giving cars that are almost as reliable as the Japs. I have never owned a Hyundai (am not a big fan), but have a couple of friends who opted for Hyundai cars 3-4 years ago and they are happy with their decision. One of them said that in the last 3 years, he has never had an issue with the car leaving him stranded and also till date the car starts at the very first crank. What else could a normal person (he is no auto-enthusiast, never opened even the bonnet yet) ask for, than a reliable car that never lets you down ?
Old 30th May 2006, 12:34   #113
BHPian

Ikon 1.3 better than Accent GLE never!!!

Quote:
Yes i was checking the ride quality of my friends corsa on some bad roads and it was amazing, i tried Palio (1.2) on the same stretch and it was almost the same if not better.
Didnt have guts to take Santro on the same stretch at the same speed... else i had some severe constipation!
Accent has looks n luxurious feel (thats subjective but most of the owners say it) and thats abt it, its neither has the performance that is expected from a "94bhp" engine, neither the engine is frugal, with 3 passengers at the back, rear kisses any bigger than average indian speed breaker.... The rocam ikon 1.3 is far more enjoyable to drive.
Lest everyone is entititled to his/her own opinion and i beg to disagree what is being said in this thread.
Peace! :-)
I own an Accent GLE, covered 40000 kms in one year without any kind of issues. So its a reliable car. Atleast my car proved it. Nobody here can disagree on that. Yes, it don't have the performance of Ikon 1.6 or Fiesta 1.6. But I've beaten an Ikon 1.6 on road so that matter depends on the driver and not everytime the car. Hyundai bashing is common and hyundai has learned to live with it. In fact they're improving coz of this bashing. So hyundai is infact thankful to those bashers. The bashing of hyundai for them is just like receiving spam mails in our email inbox. Have to verify if its genuine and if its spam throw it off.

Very disappointed to hear that Ikon 1.3 has better performance than GLE. Very biased unprofessional answer. Even die hard Ford fans wont say that. I personally test drove the 2 vehicles before purchasing the Accent GLE. The Ikon 1.3 is recommended only for City driving and what about its reputation on high maintenance as well as the maintenance costs? This is not told by me but by renowned vehicle enthusiasts like Autocar's Hormazd Sorabjee. I too had the perception of hyundai cars wearing out soon. But in a wet place like Kerala where I'm staying my accent has done well without any rusting or that sort of things. The service- always like to go to them because feel I'm a VIP there.

Whatever anti hyundains say its a fact that hyundai will be much higher than what they're now in the next 5 years.
Old 30th May 2006, 13:04   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76

Very disappointed to hear that Ikon 1.3 has better performance than GLE. Very biased unprofessional answer. Even die hard Ford fans wont say that. I personally test drove the 2 vehicles before purchasing the Accent GLE.
Whoever said that statement, I am dead sure, he havent even sat in neither ikon or accent..

I am what the hell was that? ikon 1.3 ha better performance than GLE...i just fell on the floor laughing...

Before buying my car, I tested both ikon 1.3 and accent GLE extensively..
A 69bhp engine is no match for 94bhp one..
And those who think 94bhp is fake.. quote me and get a reply.
Old 30th May 2006, 19:04   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
I own an Accent GLE, covered 40000 kms in one year without any kind of issues. So its a reliable car. Atleast my car proved it. Nobody here can disagree on that. Yes, it don't have the performance of Ikon 1.6 or Fiesta 1.6. But I've beaten an Ikon 1.6 on road so that matter depends on the driver and not everytime the car. Hyundai bashing is common and hyundai has learned to live with it. In fact they're improving coz of this bashing. So hyundai is infact thankful to those bashers. The bashing of hyundai for them is just like receiving spam mails in our email inbox. Have to verify if its genuine and if its spam throw it off.

Very disappointed to hear that Ikon 1.3 has better performance than GLE. Very biased unprofessional answer. Even die hard Ford fans wont say that. I personally test drove the 2 vehicles before purchasing the Accent GLE. The Ikon 1.3 is recommended only for City driving and what about its reputation on high maintenance as well as the maintenance costs? This is not told by me but by renowned vehicle enthusiasts like Autocar's Hormazd Sorabjee. I too had the perception of hyundai cars wearing out soon. But in a wet place like Kerala where I'm staying my accent has done well without any rusting or that sort of things. The service- always like to go to them because feel I'm a VIP there.

Whatever anti hyundains say its a fact that hyundai will be much higher than what they're now in the next 5 years.
Hold your horses dude.... where did i say that 1.3 has "better" performance than Accent! I said its far more enjoyable to drive than accent (in city offcourse)! Enjoyable drive is not just about the engine.
You can relax!
Old 30th May 2006, 19:59   #116
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Hmm...i think Hyundai has a Mass market/VFM image which it can't shred unless we see a tiburon or something coming our way. An year n half back i was looking for a car for myself as i wanted to buy a car with my own money.. anyway i checked out everything in the 4-5.5 L range. I settled for a Santro coz no other car could beat the VFM in this range at that time. I desparatly wanted GETZ but i felt it was 50K or so overpriced. Ikon flair was good but it felt like paying 5L and getting a stripped down basic version of a car. While here i was getting the top model santro with tons of goodies free. My friend bought a WagonR at the sametime. Now 1 1/2 years down and after 25K kms. Santro still looks fresh, i haven't spent any money on service whatsoever (now i will :( ). its peppy its fun and the ICE sounds awesome init lol. The interiors on my friends wagonR which has done less Kms than my santro look old and dusty while on the santro its still as good as new. There are no rattles or vibrations or rust issues.

I also have a Accent and an optra and a bunch of qualises, but i will only be talking bout Santro here. I"m totally satisfied and in a way i'm glad i chose a santro over others in the price range. I'm not saying WagonR is bad or Santro pwns all nothing like that but the VFM crown goes to hyundai. On the other end of the price range this VFM crown actually hampers the sales now when i'm in the market to buy a premium automobile would i choose a Hyundai? or would i choose a Honda ?

Btw has Indica gone thru any crash testing to prove its safety credentials? i wouldn't say HEAVY is SAFER without that
Old 31st May 2006, 11:53   #117
BHPian

Ikon 1.3 no match for Accent GLE

Quote:
Hold your horses dude.... where did i say that 1.3 has "better" performance than Accent! I said its far more enjoyable to drive than accent (in city offcourse)! Enjoyable drive is not just about the engine.
You can relax!
Comeon dude Ikon 1.3 cant match Accent GLE in any departments. Only thing is the lesser price. In city driving too GLE is better coz it has a lighter steering than Flair. And ride comfort nobody will tell that Accent is less comfortable. May be we can say that the rear seat has an advantage in Ikon. But that seat comfort of Ikon is neutralised by its bumpy ride and hard suspensions.

I agree here that Accent feels unstable at high speeds if we drive alone. Thats due to its lighter steering and soft suspensions. But it's just a feeling we are getting. The car won't skid or slip at high speeds in fact.

Better compare Accent GLE with Ikon 1.6. That'll be more interesting. Ikon 1.3 is just a hatchback santro or swift with a boot.
Old 1st June 2006, 06:26   #118
BHPian

Wish more manufacturers could come out with such versions. Probably Suzuki is doing it with its Swift Sedan. I just hope it will not be a complete sedan. Let others also follow.
Old 1st June 2006, 13:01   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbuster
Before buying my car, I tested both ikon 1.3 and accent GLE extensively.. A 69bhp engine is no match for 94bhp one..
And those who think 94bhp is fake.. quote me and get a reply.
speedbuster, the Accent puts out 94bhp ? I was not aware of that.
In that case, then it delivers same power as the BS-II Baleno and more than the BS-III Baleno which has only 91bhp. But then, why is it that I never saw the Accent figure in the cars that are discussed for being quickest to the 100, drag races etc. And also does not seem to be a favourite with modders. Any special reasons for this ? Weight wise, it would be around 50-70 kgs heavier than the OHC Vtec, Baleno etc. Is this extra weight the reason ?
Experts, your opinion please ?
Old 1st June 2006, 14:38   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
speedbuster, the Accent puts out 94bhp ? I was not aware of that.
In that case, then it delivers same power as the BS-II Baleno and more than the BS-III Baleno which has only 91bhp. But then, why is it that I never saw the Accent figure in the cars that are discussed for being quickest to the 100, drag races etc. And also does not seem to be a favourite with modders. Any special reasons for this ? Weight wise, it would be around 50-70 kgs heavier than the OHC Vtec, Baleno etc. Is this extra weight the reason ?
Experts, your opinion please ?
Accent isnt heavier infact it weighs the same as the old honda city and the ikon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks