Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2006, 15:40   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
speedbuster, the Accent puts out 94bhp ? I was not aware of that.
In that case, then it delivers same power as the BS-II Baleno and more than the BS-III Baleno which has only 91bhp. But then, why is it that I never saw the Accent figure in the cars that are discussed for being quickest to the 100, drag races etc. And also does not seem to be a favourite with modders. Any special reasons for this ? Weight wise, it would be around 50-70 kgs heavier than the OHC Vtec, Baleno etc. Is this extra weight the reason ?
Experts, your opinion please ?
The power in the Accent comes very late and hence it is pretty lousy as far as take-offs go - it is very fast in roll-on acceleration figures post 60kmph. 1st and 2nd gears in the Accent dont count for much but the 3rd gear is wicked.

It may not beat other cars in traffic light GPs, but on the highway it really rips.
Old 1st June 2006, 15:46   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The power in the Accent comes very late and hence it is pretty lousy as far as take-offs go - it is very fast in roll-on acceleration figures post 60kmph. 1st and 2nd gears in the Accent dont count for much but the 3rd gear is wicked.

It may not beat other cars in traffic light GPs, but on the highway it really rips.
Yes you're right Steeroid. It really does rips in highways and the pulling in 3rd gear is also pretty good. I've attained a speed of 135km/h (cant go beyond that in Kerala Roads) without much strain although the revving engine sound is audible at those speeds.

But the real highlight of accent cars is their trouble free status. I've completed close to 40,000 kms in one year without any complaints.
Old 1st June 2006, 17:22   #123
BHPian

@supremeBaleno: The top end of GLE is around 175kmph, now u tell, how much bhp it needs to propel a 1038kgs car to that speeds?It certainly needs above 90+bhp.
And also mind that, accent isn't aerodynamic as NHC, so drag forces also count.

Here is a simple example;
suppose car A pumps 90bhp and car B pumps 90bhp.
both car weigh around the same, then u cant say which one is faster..
because it depends upon the BHp and Torque Curvers

If car A is having more linear curve at lower rpms then it be faster...
but then car B gets a stronger curver at higher rpm..

but if u still feel that Baleno is"way too" faster than Accent.
Baleno(0-100)= 12.8sec
Accent(0-100)= 13.83sec
Source=Overdrive

thats about 1 sec difference,which isn't too much considering accent weight much more than baleno
------------------------------------

If you are not an Overdrive fan, then here is autocar figures
Baleno(0-100)= 11.13sec
Accent(0-100)= 13.1sec
thats still around 1.9 seconds..

Best example: Suzuki Swift.
It pumps 87bhp, but it feels sluggish till first 3 gears upto 50kmph..after that it picks up serious acceleration.

Now I guess accent is no that slow as it is projected in this forum.

@extreme_torque:
Accent is heavier than all the cars u listed.

OHC= 965 kg
Ikon=978 Kg
Accent= 1038kg

OT: Its quite shameful that sedans weigh less that 1 ton, whereas small cars like palio are above 1ton mark.
Old 1st June 2006, 21:25   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbuster
@supremeBaleno: The top end of GLE is around 175kmph, now u tell, how much bhp it needs to propel a 1038kgs car to that speeds?It certainly needs above 90+bhp.
And also mind that, accent isn't aerodynamic as NHC, so drag forces also count.

Here is a simple example;
suppose car A pumps 90bhp and car B pumps 90bhp.
both car weigh around the same, then u cant say which one is faster..
because it depends upon the BHp and Torque Curvers

If car A is having more linear curve at lower rpms then it be faster...
but then car B gets a stronger curver at higher rpm..

but if u still feel that Baleno is"way too" faster than Accent.
Baleno(0-100)= 12.8sec
Accent(0-100)= 13.83sec
Source=Overdrive

thats about 1 sec difference,which isn't too much considering accent weight much more than baleno
------------------------------------

If you are not an Overdrive fan, then here is autocar figures
Baleno(0-100)= 11.13sec
Accent(0-100)= 13.1sec
thats still around 1.9 seconds..

Best example: Suzuki Swift.
It pumps 87bhp, but it feels sluggish till first 3 gears upto 50kmph..after that it picks up serious acceleration.

Now I guess accent is no that slow as it is projected in this forum.

@extreme_torque: Accent is heavier than all the cars u listed.

OHC= 965 kg
Ikon=978 Kg
Accent= 1038kg

OT: Its quite shameful that sedans weigh less that 1 ton, whereas small cars like palio are above 1ton mark.
No if a 77bhp honda city can go upto 175 kph, then why not "94" bhp accent.
Secondly the top speed of accent if i remember correctly (quoting both overdrive and autocar) is not more than 165 kph... which is more or less the same as swift.
"1.9" second difference in 0-100 kph is hugeeeeeeeeeee dude... its way toooo faster!
Thirdly.... quoting the weight figures from mags only the accent is 980-990, OHC (1.3) was 980 kgs, and Ikon 1.6 is 1010 kgs.
Old 1st June 2006, 21:34   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
No if a 77bhp honda city can go upto 175 kph, then why not "94" bhp accent.
I guess u knw wat can aerodynamics can do to ur car..i suppose.
if not, bring ur hand out on wind screen at 150kmph..u will come to knw the force hitting u.
Quote:
Secondly the top speed of accent if i remember correctly (quoting both overdrive and autocar) is not more than 165 kph...
get ur facts right, I am quoting the figures from overdrive, which is right infront of me

Quote:
"1.9" second difference in 0-100 kph is hugeeeeeeeeeee dude... its way toooo faster!
1.9 sec for autocar edition, 1 sec for overdrive edition.
trust me, a better driver can turn the edge to other side.

Quote:
Thirdly.... quoting the weight figures from mags only the accent is 980-990, OHC (1.3) was 980 kgs, and Ikon 1.6 is 1010 kgs.
all wrong figures...
which mag ru using btw? and wat is that 980-990 kg? does that mag stated like that?
i quoted the figures from autocar and overdrive..
both are showing same kerb weight.

---------------------------------------------------------
edit: Accent GLE is 1023 kg, GLS is 1038kg
the figure I mentioned in post 124 was for GLS...

Last edited by speedbuster : 1st June 2006 at 21:42.
Old 2nd June 2006, 00:12   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess u knw wat can aerodynamics can do to ur car..i suppose.
if not, bring ur hand out on wind screen at 150kmph..u will come to knw the force hitting u.
get ur facts right, I am quoting the figures from overdrive, which is right infront of me

1.9 sec for autocar edition, 1 sec for overdrive edition.
trust me, a better driver can turn the edge to other side.

all wrong figures...
which mag ru using btw? and wat is that 980-990 kg? does that mag stated like that?
i quoted the figures from autocar and overdrive..
both are showing same kerb weight.

---------------------------------------------------------
edit: Accent GLE is 1023 kg, GLS is 1038kg
the figure I mentioned in post 124 was for GLS...
1. Well according to hyundai's website Accent GLE is 1014 kgs!
2. Top speed as tested by Autocar is 167 kmph which is lower than the 77 bhp NHC at 175.5 kmph! And before you talk about aerodynamics again... Accent isnt exactly a Brick infact far from it and so is NHC. See the odds, NHC is 20-25 kgs heavier, 17 bhp down on power still has higher top speed, lower in gear acceleration times and better acceleration!
Quoting Autocar's figures again
NHC 0-100 KPH ==> 13.11 Seconds
In gear 20-80 kph 3rd gear ==> 13.56 seconds
40-100 kph 4th gear ==> 17.76 Seconds

Hyundai Accent 0-100 KPH ==> 13.12 Seconds
In gear 20-80 kph 3rd gear ==> 14.00 seconds
40-100 kph 4th gear ==> 22.9 Seconds

3. 980-990 kg was for Ikon 1.3, 1.6 Ikon would be obviously heavier by atleast 20-30 kgs!

4. "trust me, a better driver can turn the edge to other side."..... but thats not the point, we still talking of car with better acceleration.

5. Talking of swift... it weighs almost the same at 1000 kgs, but even with a 1.3L, 87 Bhp engine, it outaccelerates the accent, even has higher top speed.
Swift 0-100 kph ===> 12..29 Seconds
Top Speed ===> 174 Kph

Last edited by extreme_torque : 2nd June 2006 at 00:15.
Old 2nd June 2006, 11:16   #127
BHPian

Quote:
2. Top speed as tested by Autocar is 167 kmph which is lower than the 77 bhp NHC at 175.5 kmph! And before you talk about aerodynamics again... Accent isnt exactly a Brick infact far from it and so is NHC. See the odds, NHC is 20-25 kgs heavier, 17 bhp down on power still has higher top speed, lower in gear acceleration times and better acceleration!
NHC 0-100 KPH ==> 13.11 Seconds
In gear 20-80 kph 3rd gear ==> 13.56 seconds

Hyundai Accent 0-100 KPH ==> 13.12 Seconds
In gear 20-80 kph 3rd gear ==> 14.00 seconds
40-100 kph 4th gear ==> 22.9 Seconds

3. 980-990 kg was for Ikon 1.3, 1.6 Ikon would be obviously heavier by atleast 20-30 kgs!

4. "trust me, a better driver can turn the edge to other side."..... but thats not the point, we still talking of car with better acceleration.

5. Talking of swift... it weighs almost the same at 1000 kgs, but even with a 1.3L, 87 Bhp engine, it outaccelerates the accent, even has higher top speed.
Swift 0-100 kph ===> 12..29 Seconds
Top Speed ===> 174 Kph
Ok Honda City might have an edge in acceleration according to Autocar. But Autocar in its verdict has mentioned that City has a non-honda like performance too. The acceleration difference is only in the 4th gear ratio from 40-100. But I dont think anybody drives like that in an accent. The gear is put to fifth once the speed crosses 60 from where it has a better acceleration. In real world driving apart from what magazines say there isnt much difference in performance between Accent and Honda City. It's almost the same. The proof of that from Autocar's editor Hormazd. He recommends City as a good car for "city driving" and boring in highways in his CNBC TV show.

And the major point Honda City is priced more than one lakh rupees. For that price difference performance can't be taken as a criteria. It's interior looks and comfy seats are the plus against accent. The ride quality though is almost similar to accent only. I guess autocar has mentioned it has a bumpy ride. I always felt it's an overpriced car due to the "Honda" tag.
Old 2nd June 2006, 13:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Ok Honda City might have an edge in acceleration according to Autocar. But Autocar in its verdict has mentioned that City has a non-honda like performance too. The acceleration difference is only in the 4th gear ratio from 40-100. But I dont think anybody drives like that in an accent. The gear is put to fifth once the speed crosses 60 from where it has a better acceleration. In real world driving apart from what magazines say there isnt much difference in performance between Accent and Honda City. It's almost the same. The proof of that from Autocar's editor Hormazd. He recommends City as a good car for "city driving" and boring in highways in his CNBC TV show.

And the major point Honda City is priced more than one lakh rupees. For that price difference performance can't be taken as a criteria. It's interior looks and comfy seats are the plus against accent. The ride quality though is almost similar to accent only. I guess autocar has mentioned it has a bumpy ride. I always felt it's an overpriced car due to the "Honda" tag.
Wake up dude... we are discussing about Hyundai overquoting torque and bhp figures not which car is better!
Old 2nd June 2006, 15:01   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Wake up dude... we are discussing about Hyundai overquoting torque and bhp figures not which car is better!
Ok proceed I thought it was another deliberate attempt to glorify Honda City and downgrade hyundai again.

Hyundai haven't overquoted torque or bhp figures. Accent has those figures. But both torque and acceleration not only decide the performances. It depends on other factors such as the type of tyre used, then aerodynamic body structure etc. Weight is also a factor.

If you take the "torque" factor alone, yes hyundai is weak in that part especially in the accent petrol engines. Accent GLE especially is a weak performer at higher rpm's. But the torque of "Sonata Embera" is the best in its class just to quote an example.
Old 2nd June 2006, 16:46   #130
BHPian

Quote:
You accepted yourself that you were wrong.good

Quote:
2. Top speed as tested by Autocar is 167 kmph
If Autocar tested top end to be 167kmph, then overdrive has tested it to be 175kmph..
why you only want to take lesser figure?to degrade hyundai?
Quote:
And before you talk about aerodynamics again... Accent isnt exactly a Brick infact far from it and so is NHC. See the odds, NHC is 20-25 kgs heavier, 17 bhp down on power still has higher top speed, lower in gear acceleration times and better acceleration!
NHC
this figure is even better than Baleno's 18.7sec, even Palio 1.6's is 18.7sec

does this mean NHC has better acceleration than Baleno and palio 1.6?

I think we should take all this figures with a pinch of salt.
On road performance of these cars is entirely different.

Quote:
again you are assuming things on on your own.

Ikon 1.3= 978kgs
Ikon 1.6 Sxi= 998kgs
Ikon 1.8ZXI DSL= 1066kgs

Quote:
ok, I agree
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:15   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You accepted yourself that you were wrong.good

If Autocar tested top end to be 167kmph, then overdrive has tested it to be 175kmph..
why you only want to take lesser figure?to degrade hyundai?

this figure is even better than Baleno's 18.7sec, even Palio 1.6's is 18.7sec

does this mean NHC has better acceleration than Baleno and palio 1.6?

I think we should take all this figures with a pinch of salt.
On road performance of these cars is entirely different.

again you are assuming things on on your own.

Ikon 1.3= 978kgs
Ikon 1.6 Sxi= 998kgs
Ikon 1.8ZXI DSL= 1066kgs

ok, I agree
I am not taking the lesser figure.... im taking consistent figures, ie from same mag!
And i dont believe in OD crap.
Well not better acceleration but better IN GEAR acceleration, which depends on the torque spread throughout the rpm range.
The weight of the Ikon 1.6 sxi as mentioned in the ford car manual is 1010 kgs.

P.S To clear the air i am not degrading hyundai.... but they just overquote engine specs.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 2nd June 2006 at 17:17.
Old 2nd June 2006, 22:56   #132
Team-BHP Support

Note from Team BHP moderator
This thread is going offtopic. We are not discussing wether honda or hyundai is better. Please stop the flame war or we will have to close this thread
Old 3rd June 2006, 09:24   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian mentality globalizing as well

I feel that with globalization in India as gregarious as it is now, we are starting to look at brands in pretty much the same way as developed markets. Thats bad for Hyundai India cuz even though their quality is improving/matching Jap players, we might have already plonked them psychologically below Japanese cars in terms of ownership experience and image ! Having said that, I personally don't carry any prejudice against them
Old 8th June 2006, 16:53   #134
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai number 1 in quality in US!!!

Read this...
Porsche, Lexus, Hyundai top quality survey in US
and i quote from the article...
"Hyundai Motor Co., meanwhile, rose from No. 11 in last year's J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study to become the top-ranked mass-market auto brand in the U.S. market."

Now wot do ya'all say bout dat!!

Amitoj
Old 8th June 2006, 18:16   #135
BHPian

There is def improvement in their quality, design... But still, my opinion will always be the same... their designs are always a copy of some other car, the famed Crdi motor is not Hyundai's, its a daimler chrysler engine, performance no matter how good is not better than a Honda.. no matter what you guys say dynamics of a hyundai are particularly pathetic... the cars are just boring thats it!
But yeah they have been very good at improving themselves over the years and they are improving day by day... it will take time, say around 5 years from now... until then a hyundai is a strict no no!!!.... and yeah the Santro Erlx is the best in its segment, thats the best i can say about hyundai right now...

Last edited by silentscreamers : 8th June 2006 at 18:18.

Most Viewed